Where am I going wrong with Sky Q and Denon?

Dinglebert

Standard Member
Reaction score
Firstly the hardware

Samsung UE55RU7470U
Denon X2600H
Sky Q

Setup

Input: HDMI from Sky Q to Denon
Output: HDMI from Denon to Samsung AV3 HDMI Arc input.

The problem

I have to switch on Denon first. If I don't then I have to reboot the Sky box to get a signal.
When I do switch on Denon first there are times the TV will also start working, but then again there are times it won't.
The Denon is normally only on the Sky signal, however, occasionally its jumped over to my HD player even when its not been used.
Moving it from HD player to Sky will in the main not do anything. It won't pick up the Sky signal meaning I have to reboot Sky box again.
Sometimes it all works but then decides seconds later not to and then its reboot time again.

When its working there are no issues its stable as stable can be.

I have updated my Sky box software to latest.
I have updated Denon software to latest
Samsung I am unsure if its updated or not. When I try to update it tells me my signal is poor at the end of the process. Its not the router is inches away on a fibre to home package. However Samsung then says software has been updated to current date.

While I can cope with all this the OH can't and obviously its all my fault!

Hopefully explaining all these.

It's probably the Sky box, which has a reputation for being buggy. I have similar issues with a X3500H so keen to hear if anyone has a solution.

As a work around you can connect the Sky box directly to the TV and use ARC for the sound. I've been doing this and it's been working well.

Firstly the hardware

Samsung UE55RU7470U
Denon X2600H
Sky Q

Setup

Input: HDMI from Sky Q to Denon
Output: HDMI from Denon to Samsung AV3 HDMI Arc input.

The problem

I have to switch on Denon first. If I don't then I have to reboot the Sky box to get a signal.
When I do switch on Denon first there are times the TV will also start working, but then again there are times it won't.
The Denon is normally only on the Sky signal, however, occasionally its jumped over to my HD player even when its not been used.
Moving it from HD player to Sky will in the main not do anything. It won't pick up the Sky signal meaning I have to reboot Sky box again.
Sometimes it all works but then decides seconds later not to and then its reboot time again.

When its working there are no issues its stable as stable can be.

I have updated my Sky box software to latest.
I have updated Denon software to latest
Samsung I am unsure if its updated or not. When I try to update it tells me my signal is poor at the end of the process. Its not the router is inches away on a fibre to home package. However Samsung then says software has been updated to current date.

While I can cope with all this the OH can't and obviously its all my fault!

Hopefully explaining all these.

HDMI CEC and ARC.. Switch the bloody things off . I assume you are not using ARC much as you say the Denon is usually switched to the Sky input.

It's probably the Sky box, which has a reputation for being buggy. I have similar issues with a X3500H so keen to hear if anyone has a solution.

As a work around you can connect the Sky box directly to the TV and use ARC for the sound. I've been doing this and it's been working well.
It's nothing to do with the Sky box. If you are using sources connected directly to the AVR, plus TV apps using ARC, you will have problems with HDMI CEC. One or the other only you will be fine.

It's nothing to do with the Sky box. If you are using sources connected directly to the AVR, plus TV apps using ARC, you will have problems with HDMI CEC. One or the other only you will be fine.

Thanks, is the problem CEC on the AVR, the TV or both?

Unclear about what the solutions mean?

If I connect my Sky box direct to TV then its bypassing the receiver which in turn means the sound will be out of the TV and not the speakers. The only other output from the Sky box is the optical cable.

Thanks, is the problem CEC on the AVR, the TV or both?
Both, it's how they interact, it's unpredictable. If you keep everything on ARC (or AVR) then you avoid all the handshaking issues when you change inputs.

Unclear about what the solutions mean?

If I connect my Sky box direct to TV then its bypassing the receiver which in turn means the sound will be out of the TV and not the speakers. The only other output from the Sky box is the optical cable.
No, don't do that. Leave it as it is, just switch off the HDMI CEC and ARC on TV and AVR.

There is a known problem with SkyQ and a few different makes of AV amps. Searching the Sky forum you will find plenty of information about it. It leads to black screen syndrome which requires a full re-boot of the SkyQ box. Sky blame the manufacturers and the manufacturers blame Sky. I've had the problem with the 2TB box on my last two Denons, X6200 and X6500.

You have to get into a routine of turning the Denon off if you are using HDMI pass through and let the audio return to the TV speakers. It's then safe to turn Sky off. Also do this before you change sources from the Sky box to say a blu ray player.

Sky did release a firmware upgrade a few months ago that did go some way to addressing the issue although they still do not admit a fault with the box. Make sure your Sky firmware is up to date.

No, don't do that. Leave it as it is, just switch off the HDMI CEC and ARC on TV and AVR.
Sorry I probably shouldn't have technology. I can build a PC from components but setting up a sound system is confusing the heck out of me.

When I go to the settings on the Denon for audio, the first question it asks is do I want to use ARC. If I say no I get three choices, arc, optical or the old stereo red/black setup.

There is a known problem with SkyQ and a few different makes of AV amps. Searching the Sky forum you will find plenty of information about it. It leads to black screen syndrome which requires a full re-boot of the SkyQ box. Sky blame the manufacturers and the manufacturers blame Sky. I've had the problem with the 2TB box on my last two Denons, X6200 and X6500.

You have to get into a routine of turning the Denon off if you are using HDMI pass through and let the audio return to the TV speakers. It's then safe to turn Sky off. Also do this before you change sources from the Sky box to say a blu ray player.

Sky did release a firmware upgrade a few months ago that did go some way to addressing the issue although they still do not admit a fault with the box. Make sure your Sky firmware is up to date.
It is I did it yesterday. I have this problem in the early days of the receiver at which point Sky denied the issue but Denon said it was their fault and were going to be issuing an update to fix.

Sorry I probably shouldn't have technology. I can build a PC from components but setting up a sound system is confusing the heck out of me.

When I go to the settings on the Denon for audio, the first question it asks is do I want to use ARC. If I say no I get three choices, arc, optical or the old stereo red/black setup.
If you have the Sky Box connected directly to the AVR, then ARC or the alternatives quoted only apply to audio FROM the TV. As your Audio from the Sky Box is not coming from the TV, the setting is irrelevant.

Just switch off anything related to ARC and HDMI CEC on both TV and the AVR (for the third time!).

It is I did it yesterday. I have this problem in the early days of the receiver at which point Sky denied the issue but Denon said it was their fault and were going to be issuing an update to fix.

All I can say is that I have not experienced such an issue with my Sky Q box and Denon X3700H.

If you have the Sky Box connected directly to the AVR, then ARC or the alternatives quoted only apply to audio FROM the TV. As your Audio from the Sky Box is not coming from the TV, the setting is irrelevant.

Just switch off anything related to ARC and HDMI CEC on both TV and the AVR (for the third time!).
I understand what you are saying but I can't switch off ARC as a choice. My only choices are ARC, optical or old stereo.

No you don't understand what I am saying. If you select optical or stereo, you are by default switching off ARC!

Surely ARC is only enabled if a HDMI cable is plugged into the arc hdmi socket? Do you know which hdmi socket is your arc one? Just use a different one. Go into your tv settings and amp settings and turn off hdmi control or cec.

I have the x2600 so I can check for you when I get home if you wish? You shouldn’t need to be in any menu option relating to optical, ARC or stereo, is that an option in your tv?

Just try a non arc hdmi socket and turn off hdmi cec and then see if it helps. If it doesn’t you can try using an optical cable maybe. If you don’t need atmos it should be fine with sky.

Surely ARC is only enabled if a HDMI cable is plugged into the arc hdmi socket? Do you know which hdmi socket is your arc one? Just use a different one. Go into your tv settings and amp settings and turn off hdmi control or cec.

I have the x2600 so I can check for you when I get home if you wish? You shouldn’t need to be in any menu option relating to optical, ARC or stereo, is that an option in your tv?

Just try a non arc hdmi socket and turn off hdmi cec and then see if it helps. If it doesn’t you can try using an optical cable maybe. If you don’t need atmos it should be fine with sky.
No its on the TV Audio setup assistant on the Denon menu.

The OP is connected to the ARC HDMI on his TV, but to try and keep it simple I have recommended that he just switches all ARC and HDMI CEC off. He could of course also as you say connect to an non ARC HDMI, but if it's all switched off he will not need to.

The OP is connected to the ARC HDMI on his TV, but to try and keep it simple I have recommended that he just switches all ARC and HDMI CEC off. He could of course also as you say connect to an non ARC HDMI, but if it's all switched off he will not need to.

He needs to turn arc off on the the tv then not on the amp. He can always try an optical cable for the apps instead of arc, but it’s likely hdmi control that is the issue.

He needs to turn arc off on the the tv then not on the amp. He can always try an optical cable for the apps instead of arc, but it’s likely hdmi control that is the issue.
Yes, he needs to turn it off on both -which I explained to him on earlier posts if you review them.. HDMI CEC is the issue, but ARC needs HDMI CEC engaged to work, so just turn the whole lot off and done with it!

By apps I am presuming you mean Netflix, Disney + etc. In which case I don't have any issues as all my apps are on the Sky Q box. The last one I switched over was Netflix a couple of days ago and managed to save £9 a month in the process by paying Sky for Netflix tha Netflix direct.

By apps I am presuming you mean Netflix, Disney + etc. In which case I don't have any issues as all my apps are on the Sky Q box. The last one I switched over was Netflix a couple of days ago and managed to save £9 a month in the process by paying Sky for Netflix tha Netflix direct.
Yes that is fine. If you view the apps via the Sky box then that is the easiest way to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom