Where am I best to start?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by chris_h, Aug 2, 2012.

1. chris_h

chris_h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to set up my freeview in my new house in E17, London. There is an existing aerial on roof with a coaxial cable coming down into living room. However, the tv is either just showing what programme is currently on each channel, with no audio or visual, or sometimes just saying 'no signal'.

I am not sure how old the aerial is, or indeed if it has been working recently. I have also not got a ladder long enough to check the connection to the coaxial cable.

I have had a look at the FAQs but I am not sure where to start to fix this?

2. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    if you've moved from an area not using Crystal Palace have you done a full factory reset of the TV?

And then rescanned for channels.

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    Check the cables you can reach and make sure they are made off properly (no whisker of outer to inner). How To Attach / Wire Up Plugs, Wall Plates & Aerials shows how to - although some say that How to wire a Belling-Lee connector is a better method.

A 'first time install' as Railway suggests is also good. Check if you have any channels stored in the 800s if you're still having problems and what your predictions are like using the detailed view of Digital UK - Postcode checker in case you're on one of the small relays around London.

4. chris_h

chris_h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

I was already Crystal Palace, but I may do a full reset anyway. Due to refurb work I may not be able to do this for a few days but I will let you know if still does not work.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Can you see a box on the aerial mast mounted close to the aerial ? If so you may have a masthead amplifier and the previous owner has taken the power supply away, or used a set top box with a built in amplifier power supply.