When you don't like your job ...

You'll be fine.

46 is still young and many companies are really badly run financially, so they'll welcome someone with your experience.:)

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. Yes my plan is to look for a job in a small company trying to grow when I move on. My experience can hopefully be beneficial. I have had enough of working for corporations.

This is a very interesting thread.

I only ever look for new jobs or in fact leave jobs when I feel the trust has broken down between me and my line managers and/or the number of bad days in a week start to outnumber the good.

Usually for me, once that point has hit and I don't feel motivated or incentivised beyond a pay slip to turn up for work, I will switch off my output decreases quite noticeably and I become 'unmanageable', until I either take advantage of sick pay or straight up resign halfway through a day and go home. Something I know is frowned upon but I have never worked a notice period in a job.

Unfortunately for me, this has meant in 14 years (left school at 16, and am 30 this December) I have bounced around 6 different jobs, in 3/4 completely different industries racking up an impressive if not useless assortment of qualifications that are often not inter-related.

Currently self-employed driver, something at first I hated but now actually do not mind, I like being outside, my 'route' is a nice area and I am good at it. However, I do have this nagging doubt in my mind (usually fueled by my Mum)that I am wasting myself doing a job I am very overqualified for.

Do you have any long term plans, what kind of works you would like to do etc.?

Yes.

Long term, I don't have any concrete plans beyond not working myself to Death by 60 as my Dad did. I do keep tabs on job sites and apply for roles that interest me but given how agencies seem to control recruitment and employers won't see your CV unless the recruiter thinks you're a spot on match the days of me getting a job because someone wants to take a 'punt' on someone are long gone.

All of my management experience has come in operational roles and with that quite junior positions, I would love to test myself at a higher level given how I have always been too quick to criticise those above me in the hierarchy. At the last company I worked for, I was heavily pushed into the whole world of Sigma Six, 5S and CI which I really loved picking apart process's and creating new ones etc.

The job I have now, isn't amazing but like I said I have a high level of job satisfaction, I can if I wanted to ring my friend who is the franchise holder and take the rest of this week off, I don't work late nights or nights I don't work bank holidays or weekends. I earn pretty good money.

Some similarities with my situation.
In my case the place I was at in Bristol closed and I got a job near Poole.
On the other hand I live in a great place a few miles north of Poole plus I only have a few years to go.

well i'm over 18 months in and still hate it ... time to move on, i've done my service :rotfl:

I am working from home - started in mid March over the Corona virus and it looks like I will continue to which suits me fine.
No commute, hot lunches and most of all it is quiet.

I worry about many here.
With comments like, the older I get the less I want to go to work.

Or perhaps there is something wrong with me.

I never wanted to go to school, and never have wanted to go to work.

Why would I want to go anywhere or do anything that stopped me from doing exactly what I wanted whenever I wanted.
I mean the clue is in the name............ "Work"

A hobby/pastime you enjoy isn't work as you are in control and you are not doing it to earn money or doing it for someone else, or have to answer to someone else.

I despise the fact I have to play a role, not say what I think and do as I'm told/expected to at work.
But work has to be done, and the game/act has to be played to get the money to live.

But no. If a lottery/premium bonds win came in tomorrow, work would be gone in an instant.
Well actually I'd not say anything, go to work, and just say what I think and end up getting fired ;)

Bear in mind we are heading for the mother of all recessions.

True, and likely I would be on the chopping block, with less than 2 years service and pitiful redundancy compensation I do see staying as high of a risk as leaving

I worry about many here.
With comments like, the older I get the less I want to go to work.

Or perhaps there is something wrong with me.

I never wanted to go to school, and never have wanted to go to work.

Why would I want to go anywhere or do anything that stopped me from doing exactly what I wanted whenever I wanted.
I mean the clue is in the name............ "Work"

A hobby/pastime you enjoy isn't work as you are in control and you are not doing it to earn money or doing it for someone else, or have to answer to someone else.

I despise the fact I have to play a role, not say what I think and do as I'm told/expected to at work.
But work has to be done, and the game/act has to be played to get the money to live.

But no. If a lottery/premium bonds win came in tomorrow, work would be gone in an instant.
Well actually I'd not say anything, go to work, and just say what I think and end up getting fired ;)
Yes, for the vast majority work is essentially something so boring/tedious/grating/<insert negative adjective> that they have to pay you not to **** off. If your boss came in and said 'we're not paying you for this anymore' and you stay then it's not work.

Sounds like there is to be another restructuring (redundancy scheme to you and me) where I work and yet again it looks like it has passed me by. Quite frustrating when here I am happy to be made redundant and instead they target some poor soul who can't afford to lose his job.

Cheers,

Nigel

My colleague and I are about to leave and start our own company, we already have ton of work lined up. My colleague handed his notice in yesterday and mine is going in Thursday.
We have both had enough of office politics and other bullshit.

Good stuff. My wife is about to do the same, but starting from scratch with no guaranteed work. :eek::)

My colleague and I are about to leave and start our own company, we already have ton of work lined up. My colleague handed his notice in yesterday and mine is going in Thursday.
We have both had enough of office politics and other bullsh*t.

Good for you pal, I'd love to be in that position.
Wishing you success in your new venture!

We have both had enough of office politics and other bullsh*t.

Excellent, wish you all the best.
Looking at your Avatar image, and you have a ton of work lined up.
May I take a stab in the dark and guess your starting a business fitting working indicators to BMW's
Must be millions on the road that need your attention ;)

Excellent, wish you all the best.
Looking at your Avatar image, and you have a ton of work lined up.
May I take a stab in the dark and guess your starting a business fitting working indicators to BMW's
Must be millions on the road that need your attention ;)
Nah already got a pointless job :)

Yes, for the vast majority work is essentially something so boring/tedious/grating/<insert negative adjective> that they have to pay you not to **** off. If your boss came in and said 'we're not paying you for this anymore' and you stay then it's not work.
Work can be enjoyable, enriching and allow one to grow; it can be fulfilling and make someone feel they have worth. However none of that is going to pay the bills.:)

Work can be enjoyable, enriching and allow one to grow; it can be fulfilling and make someone feel they have worth. However none of that is going to pay the bills.:)
Agreed - if you're lucky.

However, I agree with the part of the Post that states,"for the vast majority", because I think that does apply for many, alas.

Quit your job to make podcasts?!

I'd leave that fantasy behind. Most popular podcasts are made by people who are already famous for whatever reason. A simple folk yourself isn't going to make any money from said adventure.

Well lucky me managed to get offered a new job today!
Not just that, actually something that is interesting and i can see myself in for the long-haul

:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom