1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when you change MP3 players?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tom1, Jan 18, 2005.

1. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have recently bought an ipod and have found it very user friendly, am quite happy with it - although i can see myself wanting to try other players in the future. (battery life and design of ipod don't really do it for me).

my question is - when i finally put my whole collection in itunes (its all in AAC format) and i decide to buy a sony or iriver or any other player - how easy is it to download everything from itunes onto a new player and how do you do it?

many thanks

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    If you buy a sony and its all AAC then you will not as its not supported... but if it was mp3 for example.. you wold jsut point Soncistage at your mp3s and then use that like you would itunes to get them on the player.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You can't move AAC files around as no player other than the iPod supports it. Fortunately, unlike Sony your own rips aren't encrypted and so provided you're willing to spare a few hours once you switch and don't mind a slight reduction in quality due to the transcoding process, it can be fairly painless procedure to convert all your own AAC's to MP3. dbPoweramp is one of the most popular for doing this.

I've gone through the iPod, Cowon iAudio, Creative, iRiver and Sony hard-disk players. At any time I can have players from three or four different manufacturers so I need file portability. For that reason I've stuck to having MP3's for my compressed digital files, after a while trying to run parallel ATRAC / Apple Lossless libraries. I can move it onto any player I have and it plays (with the exception of the Sony players which have frequent minor problems with my rips).

By sticking with iTunes and the iPod sphere though, there are significant benefits to be had. For example, you can buy a Roku Soundbridge or Slim Devices Squeezebox for home and get AAC and Apple Lossless playback with iTunes integration. In-car use is a breeze thanks to extensive third-party support. In terms of convenience, there's nothing out there that beats having an iPod and the associated paraphenalia.

4. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks extremelydodgy - very helpful.

i'm no expert (as is clear!) but everyone i asked said the same as you - there are things about the ipod that aren't great, but in terms of all round useability, its right up there.

one more thing if i may.. i have ripped a cd onto itunes and one of the tracks is all messed up - it jumps and sticks all over the place. when i play the cd itself, its fine - no problems. i've deleted the track and then the whole cd from itunes and tried putting it back on - same thing happens, but just on that same track. but the cd itself is fine. i dont' get it.

anyone had similar, or got any suggestions?

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Or have iTunes use error correction when importing. It's under preferences.