When winning isn't enough!

Discussion in 'Football' started by johntheexpat, Dec 22, 2011.

1. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    PSG (Paris St Germain) are currently top of French League 1, but apparently that is no longer good enough. Their manager and entire coaching staff have been given the chop. Which is a bit of a suprise as Antoine Kombouare is one of the huge names of French Football. The relatively new owners invested over 90 million euros in their most recent spending spree, but are not happy, saying that the football is not entertaining enough. They want entertaining winners, rather than winners.

I don't know if it has been reported much in the UK, but come the new year, David Beckham will sign up for PSG on a monthly wage of an eye-watering 800,000 euros a month. Money is no problem at PSG! And they have an incredibly loyal group of followers, so quite what is required is beyond me.

No doubt things will become clearer over the next few weeks (French League 1 are on holiday for 3 weeks now), but speculation is already rife as to who will be the new manager. Its going to have to be a huge name to keep the shareholders happy.

Some details here, but only for those who speak a little French or can live with a Google translate version.

PSG : Leonardo a signifi Kombouar son viction - LeMonde.fr

Watch this space.

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,377
    This has been rumoured as on the cards for a while, has it not? I heard that Rafa Benitez was lined up as next manager, any truth to it? Could it be an out for Torres, if PSG have the cash? Tevez as well maybe?

Its terrible that an owner can have so much influence over the club like that especially if the team are top of the league. BUT its his (their?) cash so I suppose if they want a certain product they can do what they like....!

3. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It seems one thing they aren't short of in any measure is cash.

4. lfcynwa

lfcynwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I heard that as well but don't think he wants to manage over in France. He wants a big job either in England or Spain.

5. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    And the winner is:

Carlo Ancelotti
    former Chelsea and AC Milan manager. I wish him luck, because I think he's going to need it.:thumbsup:

6. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Stories like this remind me of Del Bosque's last stint at Real

Having presided over one of the clubs most successful periods in which they won 2 League titles and 2 European Cups in 4 seasons, he was duly sacked

They won nothing for a further 4 years

Good luck to Carlo but he can hardly 'lose'can he. He'll be paid a very handsome salary then be compensated should he be sacked. It's win-win as his reputation is held in such high esteem, no matter how bad he performs another job is always available

As for Beckham I can understand going to the US to promote Soccer and live on another continent in a fantastic country like America but surely he's going for the money. Despite his clear affection for Utd he would be better going to somewhere like Spurs for less money

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    He has repeatedly said he would never play for any English team apart from Man Utd. Just another token Beckham hater. I think it is fair play to have one last pay day available. Read Paris is très expensive.

And it's called football.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Listening to a french journo on the radio lst sunday, you would have thought it was a done deal.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went back to LA.

9. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Wow who's got your goat?

For your information Beckham is one of my favourite modern footballers

And the 'soccer' reference was deliberate

Happy Christmas, hopefully you'll be in more festive mood today :)