When will you be getting Vista

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Pebb, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Just would like to know when are you getting Windows Vista?

Well I am getting it around about August of September, because I need to get my PS3 first and a newer Hard Drive at around about 320GB to 400GB. But the version I am getting is:

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition DVD - OEM

But I don't know if I should get it even this year, or wait until I get my next PC from Alienware. But I won't be getting my next PC until late Mid 2008.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,782
    As soon as i can get my grubby little mitts on it. I'll go for the Premium Retail 32-bit and 64-bit more than likely.

3. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If you have a 64bit CPU then just go for the 64bit version. But if you have a 32bit CPU, and you are getting an upgrade to 64bit from 2-5 months time, then wait. However go to Overclockers.co.uk to pre-order Vista.

Anyway here is some help, to help you lot decide what version to buy:

Source: Microsoft

Home Basic - Do not get

Most secure Windows ever
    with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall

Quickly find what you need
    with Instant Search and Windows Internet Explorer 7

Home Premium - Should consider

Same features as basic, along with these other features:

Elegant Windows Aero desktop experience
    with Windows Flip 3D navigation

Best choice for laptops
    with enhanced Windows Mobility Center and Tablet PC support

Collaborate and share documents
    with Windows Meeting Space

Experience photos and entertainment
    in your living room with Windows Media Center

Enjoy Windows Media Center
    on TVs throughout your home with Xbox 360™ and other devices

Ultimate - My Pick

All of the features of Basic and Premium, along with these 3 extra great features:

Help protect against hardware failure
    with advanced business backup features

More info

Built-in Diagnostics

Windows Vista includes new and enhanced functionality that can help you resolve many common problems—often before a failure or data loss occurs. If there is a hard disk or system failure, the new Built-in Diagnostics feature provides easy-to-use backup and restore techniques to get you up and running again.

Windows Vista is more reliable than Windows XP, reducing the frequency and impact of disruptions. It includes fixes for known hangs and crashes, and new technology that will prevent many common causes of hangs and crashes. Windows Vista can also recognize when applications are in danger of exhausting system resources (such as virtual memory) and warn you to shut down those applications before the system hangs and data is potentially lost.

Built-in Diagnostics provides automatic diagnosis and correction for common error conditions, and helps to protect data when failures occur. For example, the Built-in Diagnostics feature in Windows Vista will warn you of impending hard drive failures and advise you to take corrective action before data is lost. In the worst case, if your computer will not start up, new Startup Repair technology provides step-by-step diagnostics to guide you through recovery and minimize data loss.

Business networking and Remote Desktop
    for easier connectivity

More info

Networking

Windows Vista includes new networking features that make your network easier to set up, easier to use, and more secure and reliable. Connect wirelessly to your company's network, share an Internet connection and printers, copy files between computers, or enjoy your favorite entertainment around your home. Whether at home, a small business, or a large enterprise, Windows Vista makes connectivity easier so you can focus on what matters to you.

Network Center

Windows Vista puts you in control of your network experience with the Network Center—the central place for all your networking needs. Network Center informs you about the network your computer is connected to and verifies whether it can successfully reach the Internet. It even presents this information in a summary in the Network Map so you can immediately see your connectivity to the network and Internet. If a PC on the network loses Internet connectivity, you can graphically see that the link is down, and then use Network Diagnostics to help determine the cause of the problem and get a suggestion for a solution.

[​IMG]
    Check your connection status, see your network visually, or troubleshoot a connection problem in the Network Center.

Network Center also allows you to quickly connect to other available networks, or create entirely new connections. You can view and configure your most important network settings in one place. And for less frequently accessed settings, Network Center provides direct links so you can easily find what you're looking for.

Network Center also makes it easy to connect your workplace network from home.

[​IMG]
    Easily connect to your workplace from home using the Network Center.

Network Setup

With Windows Vista, setting up a network between multiple PCs and devices (including printers, music players, and game systems) is simple and intuitive. The Network Setup Wizard allows you to set up wired or wireless networks by identifying unconfigured network devices and adding them to the network. The Network Setup Wizard also automates the process of adding new devices to your network. It automatically generates secure network settings to keep your network safe from intruders.

Network settings can also be saved to a portable USB flash drive to make adding PCs and devices to the network a quick and easy process. Simply insert the USB flash drive into a PC or device and it will automatically read the data and ready itself to join the network. File and printer sharing is also easily enabled on each PC on the network from the Network Setup Wizard, so you can share documents, photos, music, and other files across your network.

Network Explorer

Once a network is set up, you need to be able to easily browse content on networked PCs, devices, and printers. The new Network Explorer in Windows Vista makes it easy to share files and take advantage of the connectivity that a network provides. It presents a view of all PCs, devices, and printers on the network, and is significantly faster and more reliable than My Network Places in Windows XP. The Network Explorer is even able to use custom, representative icons for different devices (when enabled by manufacturers). You can also directly interact with select devices—adjust settings or control music playback, for example.

[​IMG]
    Create networks to share files, printers, and other devices.

Network Map

When people have multiple computers and devices on a network, with a combination of wireless and wired connections, it can be difficult to understand how everything is connected. Windows Vista provides a new feature called Network Map which shows you an easy-to-understand, graphical view of everything on the network, and how everything is connected. This helps you optimize your network for the best performance and easily locate any problems.

[​IMG]
    Network Map in a home environment showing a broken connection to a wireless router.

Wireless Networking

Windows Vista improves the wireless network experience in a number of ways. The new Network Awareness feature in Windows Vista keeps your applications aware of and optimized for the network's changing capabilities. Your data is also more secure with enhanced support for the latest wireless security protocols, including WPA2. Windows Vista helps you avoid connecting to fraudulent wireless networks which seem like legitimate hotspots but, in fact, are not. Windows Vista also provides an easy way to create ad-hoc wireless networks to use peer-to-peer applications such as file sharing and application collaboration.

Network Awareness

Network Awareness provides the ability to report changes in network connectivity to applications in order to provide a more seamless connected experience. As you connect to different networks, the change is communicated to Network Awareness-supported applications, which can then take appropriate actions for your connection to that network. For example, when you switch from your home office to your corporate network, firewall settings can be configured to open the ports needed to allow the use of IT management tools. Group Policy will detect the reconnection to the corporate network and automatically begin processing policy changes instead of waiting for the next detection cycle.

Network Diagnostics

It's easy to become frustrated over network connection failures, especially when there's a lack of information and guidance on how to solve the problem. That's why Windows Vista provides Network Diagnostics to analyze the situation and present either immediate solutions or a list of possible causes and solutions so that you can fix the problem yourself.

Network Diagnostics will either solve your problem automatically or walk you through the process to solve it. For example, a common error that occurs when you're browsing the Internet is that a web page will not load. An error message indicates the failure to complete the task (such as, "Page cannot be displayed" or "Server is not available") and prompts you to run Network Diagnostics. Within a few moments, a Network Diagnostics dialog box will display a description of the actual error and provide a recommendation on how to fix it.

[​IMG]
    Network Diagnostics helps you solve your own problems by giving you a list of potential causes and solutions.

Networking Optimized for Speed

Windows Vista automatically tunes itself to receive more data at any given time by detecting the speed of your Internet connection and the amount of bandwidth available to you. As a result, you can download files and stream multimedia clips much faster with your existing high-speed Internet access, which means you spend more time working with your content and less time waiting for it to arrive.

Better protect your data
    against loss or theft with Windows BitLocker™ Drive Encryption

More Info

In a corporate network environment, securing access to data across shared computers—as well as access to the network itself—is easier for system administrators who use Windows Vista and Windows Server code named "Longhorn." Take a look at some of the features of Windows Vista that make the protection of corporate and client data much easier to manage.

Remote Access

If any members of your workforce travel as part of their jobs or divide their work time between home and the office, they need secure and dependable remote access to your corporate network, any time and any place. Windows Vista, in conjunction with the forthcoming Windows Server Longhorn, offers a better-together solution that simplifies remote access and ensures a high level of security—without a virtual private network (VPN) connection.

Whether your employees work from the road or work remotely on a home computer, Windows Vista makes it quick and easy for them to access your corporate network whenever they need it.

Simplified remote access
    With the Remote Desktop Connection feature in Windows Vista, your workforce can have easier remote access to resources and applications. For example, if a salesperson needs remote access to a financial application or a customer relationship management (CRM) application on your network, with Windows Vista your corporate IT manager can place an icon for that application on the salesperson's desktop. When the salesperson clicks the icon, an automatic Terminal Services Remote Program connection is made to the company over the Internet and to the Terminal Server in Windows Server Longhorn—all without the use of a VPN.

Access from home computers
    Terminal Services Gateway in Windows Server Longhorn also provides home computers that are running Windows Vista with additional features to access corporate networks. If employees use their home PCs to log on to the corporate network, they can simply access the corporate website over the Internet, and then click links that have been set up to go straight to corporate resources.

Windows BitLocker™ Drive Encryption

According to Microsoft studies, a large percentage of a company's digitized information can reside on computer hard disk drives. With an increasingly mobile workforce, your company's sensitive data is at risk if a laptop is lost or stolen.

BitLocker Drive Encryption is a hardware-enabled data protection feature that addresses the growing concern that corporate and customer data could be accessed from lost or stolen computers. By encrypting the entire Windows system volume, data is better protected, which prevents unauthorized users from compromising Windows file and system protection on any lost or stolen PCs. Using BitLocker also helps your organization comply with data privacy regulations and reduces concerns about repurposing equipment. Available with Windows Vista Enterprise or Windows Vista Ultimate, BitLocker is simple to deploy and use, and makes recovery easy when the need arises.

Encrypting File System

Encrypting File System (EFS) is useful for user-level file and folder encryption. For example, if two people share a computer running Windows Vista, EFS can be used to encrypt each person's data so that it is not available to the other user of the computer. Windows Vista enhances the administrator's ability to manage EFS on a network by supporting storage of EFS keys on smart cards. This way, the rights assigned to each individual's smart card determine what content he or she has access to on a computer and across the network.

Control over device installation
    --

What I think about the versions

If your going to be getting Windows Vista with a new PC your buying, then you should not go for the basic. But I would go for the top of the range version, if your planning to keep your PC for more then 2-3 years at least or if you upgrade every 5 years.

However if get a new Hard Drive every 2 years then go for the Premium.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I am tempted because I always like new toys, but I am also very sceptical and may wait a while and see how much trouble everyone else has before I break all of my PC's!

I certainly won't be upgrading my Media Center for a while, because it has been (nearly) problem free for a whole year. But I quite fancy Aero on my main desktop PC.

What I want to know is....

Will there be compatible drivers for all my hardware?
    Will all my software run on Vista that currently runs on XP, such as online poker clients, DVD copying software, Microsoft Office, Newsgroup download clients, Anti-Virus software etc etc etc..............

5. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TVR_Fan.... you forgot to mention DirectX 10! Its about the only reason I could think Vista is worth upgrading to. And the pretty graphics if thats what you like.

6. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    As far as I remember, if your getting the home premium retail version, then the 64bit and 32bit versions are both included.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,782
    What! :eek: and pay some stupid amount, no thanks!

I'll get mine at the MS shop for employees.... :D

8. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i've already got it, haven't had much chance to play yet though

9. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered 3 copies of Vista Ultimate should have them by mid feb

10. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    You can get the 64bit version on it's own, so if your getting a 64bit CPU in 5 months, then just get the 64bit version.

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Bearing in mind the M/S history of new versions I will be staying well away.
    Yopu quick jumpers can have all the fun with the bugs/service packs/drivers/incompatible apps etc. etc.

12. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hell No, I'll be getting Leopard :cool: ;)

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,782
    The question doesn't ask "if" it asks "when"....i dunno, Mac users :rolleyes:

14. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    ROFL can you say owned! :smashin:

I've already got Vista (from Connect) but I'll def. be picking up more copies. I'm going with x86-32 for now, because of REALLY poor support for the x86-64 platform.

15. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

:suicide: Just noticed.

:oops:

Oh well, happy Virus hunting :D

16. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'll probably end up picking up an OEM copy of Home premium 32bit mid next year, then buy myself either an retail version of home premium, or an OEM version of Ultimate when I build myself a nice new gaming PC (which looking at things, could well not be till 2008 now :( )

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,782
  18. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'll get it when work forces me to (i.e. I can't develop the apps people want using XP anymore)

I mean, what apps NEED Vista? At the moment, none. And anyone who develops for Vista leaving out XP is a damn fool.

I'll stick with XP (maybe get a cheap 64 bit version of it) for as long as I can.

All upgrading to Vista does at the moment is forces you to get new hardware, that makes a bloated, slow new OS run at a reasonable speed.

Yes I have used Beta 1, Beta 2 and RC1 - I just can't see any real benefits from it. The lauded new "security" features, they're already discovering holes in these days after its initial release. It'll be the usual patch-mania all over again.

Remember when 2000 replaced NT4? People swore at MS at that time because MS had *just* gotten NT4 really nice and stable with (IIRC) SP6, and then went and threw it all away.

DejaVue? Not-arf!

19. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    to be fair to MS, vista RC2 runs pretty well on current / older PC's. It even runs as fast as XP does on mine (Althon XP 3000, 1GB RAM, just replaced FX5500 with a 7600GT).

20. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Vista runs quicker for me than xp on the same computer. :thumbsup:

21. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If Vista is running faster than XP did, don't you think there is a chance that XP was running slow due to all the drivers/virus scanners/spyware scanners/start bar widgets, and all the other general crud that our computers gather over the years? (possibly including viruses and spyware)

You know some people re-install XP "afresh" just to get a nice clean fast system every now and then?

The only real way to tell is to do a clean install of XP, inc patches/service packs, do some benchmarks, then do the same with Vista. Which the benchmark sites will do, but I don't fancy doing!!! :)

22. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It probably runs faster because you have 1gb of ram full of stuff loaded up and ready to use.

Ive known a fresh boot of vista to fill 700mb of ram... its silly!
    I hoped MS would have sorted out the memory management for vista buts its more of the same. Its probably got a stack of stuff on the page file too.

23. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    You sir offend me! :D

Believe me I've re-instatlled XP afresh many times, and I know exactly how fast a fresh installs of vista and xp are. Vista wins hands down.

24. k03n

k03n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :hiya:

Ill be joining you

IMO Vista isnt all that MS says it is. Iv been beta testing since Longhorn v4053, an i can say im not impressed. It just cripples your powerful hardware.

I got Tiger last year and was blown away, Vista final doesnt even compare Tiger :O Leopard will Kick A$$

New 24" mac and Leopard in the summer for me!!

Ill stick to XP. The games i play wont require Vista or DX10 (CS: S & BF2)

25. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I try my best :D

I'm glad it works quicker than XP for you but I didn't find that to be the case for me. (AMD X2 4800+ & 2GB RAM and at work Dual Code Intel thing, 2GB RAM) All the effects were on full and the system handled those no problem, just after installing Office, VS, etc, etc, having a few things running at once it just went to sleep for annoying periods of time.

Other things that bugged me are the new Explorer, couldn't find a way to put it back to XP style (or rather 2000 style since I turn off a lot of XPs Explorer stuff). IE7, why totally rearrange the buttons & menus like that, hiding almost everything?

I did find out how to turn off all the millions of security warnings though, thank god!

Oh, and the big, *huge* problem for any developers at the moment, Microsofts latest OS doesn't run their latest development environment..... bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaa!! <thud>

<picks self up off floor>

Sorry, that cracks me up every time I think of it! Talk about dropping a clanger :rotfl: :D :rolleyes:

Yes I know they're close to releasing VisualStudio 2005 SP1 for Vista which is supposed to fix things, but its still godalmighty funny!

26. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I'll wait until at least late 2007 having just got my HTPC working how I want it to. I tried the RC1 version of Vista on my Shuttle PC (XP3200 CPU) and it was pretty, but I couldn't use any of my software with it as Vista updates weren't available for them. :(

I'm making do with a Vista skin for now, my 9600 probably isn't upto aero anyway and I might as well wait for direct X 10 graphics cards to fall in price.

Just my 2p worth...

27. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Ah yes the new breadcrumbs bar, I hated it at first. But now I miss it in XP. As for IE7, you can get the old menu bar back.

As for the million security warnings that would be UAC - most annoying piece of ****, I've ever had to deal with. Although it is good for the average PC user.

28. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    just fyi, your 9600 will do aero glass. All aero glass needs is a DX9 / SM2 card, which the Radeon 9600 is.

29. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Already surfing on it :thumbsup:

Wiped PC and did fresh install over Christmas of Vista Ultimate (32bit) and Office 2007 Ultimate. Runs nicely on 2.4GHz P4, 768Mb RAM, 128Mb Nvidia 6600GT AGP.

Could do with more RAM though.... as want to run development stuff in Virtual Machines for now rather than polute Vista install.

Vista has Memory feature where you can use Windows ReadyBoost certified USB Sticks to boost performance without opening PC to increase memory. E.g. one fo these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-126-CS Cheaper than a 1Gb Stick of PC3200 whcih is about &#163;75. Info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/performance.mspx

Have Leadtek DVT1000T Freeview card too. Got a link for proper WHQL drivers from Leadtek after mail to their support and all OK. Havent had a chance to try tuning it yet as need long aerial lead for current PC position :rolleyes: but the Media Centre runs full screen fine (have nice Samsung 215TW screen).

The only things not to work so far is my Logitech Messenger Webcam, and my Scanner Software won't install.

Attached Files: