1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will XBox hardware fall to £100, (or less).

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Rob20, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    According to channel 4 teletext it's supposed to be falling to less than £100 in order to match the PS2 now £105. Just it still seems to be £130 everywhere. When does the price change come into effect?

2. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    This Saturday.

3. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    from 27th august it applies

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well i paid £50 with 2 games so i am happy!

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Why has the PS2 come down so cheap anyway?? Is there a PS3 coming out for Christmas or are they just shiffting more boxes :confused:

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There hasn't been a big PS2 price cut for a long time. I think they wanted to do it now because, otherwise, the Xbox was far better value for money than the PS2. At the same price, or even with £5 difference, I think the PS2 is the far better choice

No new hardware until, at the very least, Christmas 2006. The new consoles (PS3, XBox 2 and Nintendo Revolution) will be shown at E3 2005 next May and I'd expect the launch games to have begun development by then. A lead time of 18 months is pretty reasonable. Of course, once the new consoles have been launched, the current ones will still be popular with developers for at least another 12-18 months IMO. Maybe then we'll start to see some real niche games instead of movie licenses and cash-ins for the current 3 consoles :clap:

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    Basically it's just to keep increasing the PS2's user base and I guess try to flog it to all the people who still play on PS1's. There is a fairly large proportion of very casual gamers who have only ever heard of "the Playstation" and kind of know that there's one in a white/grey box and one in a black box that's a bit better. If you mention X-Box or Gamecube to them you just get a funny look.

I guess Sony will simply just be trying to convert over this market.

I read a report that Sony had reduced the price in the US (I think) as the X-Box had overtaken it in terms of current sales. The report stated that PS2 sales increased by around 221% when they reduced the price! Sony's only job now is to maintain it's market dominance and keep the PS2 selling well up to the launch of the PS3.

EDIT: Actually the PS3 is expected to get a release late 2005 early 2006 - Most people are favouring March 06 but surely it would make sense to get it out for Christmas though. I guess it all depends on when th eCell technology is ready for.

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Its annoying (to me anyway) that the word console has been replaced by Playstation. One of those things where a brand name has become so dominant that it becomes accepted to use it as product description (like Tannoy, Sellotape etc). A marketing mans dream, maybe, but it does nothing for the health of competition in the games marketplace.

I have to disagree here; unless you love niche Japanese titles (as I'm guessing RL123 does - fair play to ya, but I'd say this isn't what makes a great console IMHO), it'd be worth paying more for an Xbox. There's no decent major title now that is released on PS2 and not Xbox, since Pro Evo and GTA left the PS2 exclusive stable. Even disregarding the superior build quality, feature list and joypad of the Xbox, the games catalogue alone and Live should make it the console of choice. The fact the Xbox is cheaper than the PS2 now makes it a no-brainer in my eyes.

The fact the Xbox still isn't the console of choice just shows the power of style over substance, marketing over gameplay and the general stupidity of the UK public.

You mean Xmas 2005, surely? With Microsoft itching to get their new machine out before Sony this time and Sony expecting their machine to be out in 18 months (both have sent out dev kits to developers now), I'd expect next Christmas (ie 2005) to be the new hardware release time, in the US at least...

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    I disagree with the fact that there's no decent titles exclusive to the PS2 any more:

Gran Turismo
    Virtua Fighter
    Tekken
    GTA - always comes out ages before X-Box - that's like saying Halo isn't exclusive to X-Box as the PC gets it.
    PES - I'll wait to see if they can get this right on XB yet before praising it
    Gradius V - best shooter at the moment
    Eye Toy
    F1-2004 - the best console F1 game
    Final Fantasy - probably the best RPG on a console
    ICO
    Ratchet & Clank
    Socom 1 & 2

To name a few. As you look up that list there are quite a few Genre leading games. The PS2 may not be able to match the X-Box for power but it's games catalogue is still much better in terms of quality and variety.

Anyway this isn't the "Best console thread" so i'll leave it at that.

This thread is all about clever marketing and Sony keeping their machine in peoples homes and in peoples minds so that they don't defect to the admittidly more powerful X-Box. They only have to keep it up until the next wave of consoles, when we will see 2 if not 3 machines all of a similar technological specification. I do feel that M$ really have to market the X-Box very agressively now if they want a realistic chance of increasing it's market share during the next wave of consoles.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Hehe I use it to describe my Gamecube to people that I really can't be bothered to explain what a Gamecube is to. The word Playstation is pretty cool though and I can live with it :)

As for better games released on the X-Box, this is the old argument and tbh I have a PS2 simply because it is the market leader for Japanese RPGs and shooters.

Tales of Disgaea
    Final Fantasy
    Star Ocean
    Front Mission
    La Pucelle
    Xenosaga
    Suidoken III
    Psyvariar
    Gradius V
    R-Type Final

Simply cannot be matched by X-Box or Gamecube. The X-Box is technically a better machine but it still cannot match the Japanese games. Fine if you are a Western game orientated player, but not if you like a touch of the east.

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    I would never argue for a second with the fact if you enjoy a touch of the East, the PS2 is your baby. I would contest the argument the PS2 has more exclusive genre leaders though.

The PS2 still outsells the Xbox by about 3 to 1 in the UK - it should be much closer to 1 to 1 IMHO. Hats off to Eyetoy - not for me really, but its opened up a whole new market/genre and Sony deserve their success there.

For pure 'Western' gaming though, M$ ticks all the boxes without the need for multitaps, network adaptors or memory cards.

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The only reason I want to get an XBox is for PES4 and Burnout 3. Maybe FIFA 2005. Plus I thought I might pick up a load of old 2nd hand titles. Seen them for as little as £5. Like the idea of playing Burnout 3, or maybe even PES4 online. + there has been something of a drought of decent GC games in the last 6 months. In 2004, apart from Metal Gear remake, I don't think I've boought a single other game. With Pikmin 2, and Metroid Prime 2, (poss FIFA 2005), the only games on the horizon this year. Looking forward to Resident Evil 4 and the new Zelda title in 2005 though.

13. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    go for the Xbox if that is what you want but give R6 Black arrow ago at only £20 from game or £14.99 from game with the voucher in the Xbox mag with Roddick on front
    I have both consoles as for u should buy this one beacause and the no get this one do what suites and igore the whats best console arguement which u can go on for ever with both ps2 & Xbox have attributes where they excell over the other so its up to you what you want from the console

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    I guess the question is...why do us western gamers put up with poor games. The games mentioned by Sinzer are much better than the drivel us western gamers get. It's not a matter of whether you like "eastern" or "western" games - they are simply better games. Even the decent eastern games that do get a release over here - winning eleven, gradius etc are still eastern games. Christ the Japanese can even make a better Footy game than us westerners can!

People who disregard "eastern" games generally haven't given them a try and tend to think that they are all just manga stuff and obscure games. When I think about it I can't think of any "western" games that are better than their "eastern" counterparts. Well actually we do make better 1st person shooters but the PC is the platform for them anyway, not the console. The 2 games that would probably see me buying an X-Box are both eastern - PES4 & Outrun2!

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There are a few killer titles that are Xbox exclusive now as well (Halo being the prime example) But this debate is old. The PS2 is on its last legs and they are worried about the competition from Xbox this Christmas with the titles they have in the pipeline.

Personally I cant believe there are still people willing to say the PS2 and Xbox are anything near comparable in terms of Graphics and sound quality. And thats not even mentioning all the stuff you can do with a modded xbox.....

If you are buying one for the exclusive titles and Jap RPG stuff fair enough. I know what I would be buying though :devil:

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Yup Gthom3 :)

Although in our defense we do have the ability to produce some stonking games, when we put our minds to it. These are mainly seen on the PC though, with Western software houses really unchallenged in the RTS, FPS and AD&D style RPGs.

The only really original AAA console game to come out of a Western software house recently is GTA (admittedly a PC game to begin with). I really can't think of any others. Actually I could include Tony Hawks as the original of that was pretty amazing :)

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't forget that the vast majority of people don't care so much about graphics, sound quality or what can be done with a modded X-Box. Forum members here are naturally biased towards fancy electronic equipment :)

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    I didn't think we were. What we were saying is that the PS2 still sells very well because it's got the biggest & best games catalogue. Which machine is technologically better isn't the discussion as that is easily proved - the X-Box is easily the best machine technically (it was released almost a couple of years after the PS2). The PS1 is very inferior to the X-Box technologically but Wipeout 2097 & FFVII are still much better games than any Futuristic racer or RPG on the X-Box.

The PS2 sells by the bucket load because most of the best games released are either exclusive to the machine or come out on it first.

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    I agree Sinzer we are capable of producing some great games - look at the Mac developers Bungie who came out with Halo. We do have a lot to learn though from eastern games development.

I'm a big fan of KOEI's games (ever since playing Ghengis Khan on the Amiga) and love the Romance of the 3 Kingdom games. They also did the superb Disgaea The Hour Of Darkness. Konami is IMO the best heavyweight games developer going, with Titles like Winning Eleven 8, Gradius V and Silent Hill 4 who can match them?

My point is that Eastern games are not silly niche obscure games - infact most of the great games we play come from the eastern territories.

20. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    But who is saying they would the PS2 over Xbox because of power, graphics, sound etc? I know I'm certainly not - I bought a PS2 because of its variety of amazing games...many of them are easily the best in the genre (Virtua Fighter Evo for example) I only bought an Xbox 3 weeks ago and, again, the reason for doing so was certainly not because of its power...it was because of its few excellent exclusive games: Halo, PGR2 and, in a few months, Outrun 2 which could certainly be the best game of 2004

The whole "Xbox is more powerful, therefore better" argument is complete crap, IMO. Yes, it's more poweful but without a lineup of consistent, varied genre-defining games no console is worth buying - regardless of power.
    That's the reason I bought a PS2 two years ago, a GC 18 months ago and an Xbox just 3 weeks ago...

Anyone who thinks power is all that matters should really look at why they bother to play games if they have that attitude :suicide:

21. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :oops: here we go again the old debate

I have an xbox for live
    and a chipped ps2 so I get the games free

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    To be fair I felt that this thread was heading down an interesting route comparing the merits or eastern & western gaming but I guess there will always be people who would rather argue about how much more powerful their console is.

There are certain facts that we should all stick to:

1) The X-Box is the most powerful console
    2) The PS2 has the largest games catalogue (almost double the size of any other console, not even including PS1 games)
    3) The PS2 has more exclusive titles than any other console
    4) The X-Box has more online games than any other console.
    5) The PS2 has sold around 7 times more consoles than the next best selling (non handheld) console the X-Box.

Whether you prefer the games on the PS2 or the X-Box is purely personal opinion so there really is no argument.

So as previously stated, there is already a thread discussing which console is better, let's not let this thread descend into the same old debate.

23. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Slightly strange view on Saying the Japanese make the best games - they also make 1000's and 1000's of utter crap - a hell of alot more then western companies.
    I love my Xbox but the lack of japanese game is the only weak point to it - there are some coming from Tecmo, From software etc but i would love to see what a company like Treasure or Squaresoft could do on the xbox.

24. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have owned an Xbox since it was launched and recently decided to buy another console. I was going to get a PS2 but it didn't take me long to realise that the PS2 still doesn't really have any truly essential exclusive titles. Those that were essential can now/soon be bought on Xbox (Pro Evo, GTA). GameCube on the other hand is a totally different ball game. Sure, it doesn't have anywhere near as many titles as PS2 or Xbox but there are loads of top quality exclusive games like the Zelda games, the Mario games and the best selection of SEGA software on any of the next-gen consoles. Where else can you play 'Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg' or 'Skies of Arcadia Legends' (OK, you could get that on Dreamcast). Not to mention the more unusual and interesting titles such as 'Harvest Moon' and 'Animal Crossing'.

If you're thinking of owning 2 of the next-gen consoles I would personally recommend Xbox and GameCube. Xbox is the PS2 will bells on (and generally features better exclusive titles) and GameCube is diverse, interesting and fun.

25. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your mad if you believe that the PS2 and indeed Gamecube are on their last legs, ok we all know that the Xbox is technically better all round and does deserve to be stood up and counted, i had an Xbox from launch, numerous playstation 2's and recently bought a gamecube, i also then recently ditched my xbox and live service because i enjoyed the games a whole lot more on the PS2 and GC.

I think there is a lot more to come from the PS2, and with it dropping in price can only see it get more and more popular.
    The Xbox is doomed not to be number 1 as it portrays what everyone hates about America, Big, Brash, Powerful and with a awful lot of money ready to be invested in it's success.

:offtopic: (Oh yeah, i also played a Burnout 3 Demo on PS2, it looks better than anything i've seen on any console!!)

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    What?? Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, GT4, Ico, Socom2, Tekken 5, Gradius V, Winning Eleven 8, GTA San Andreas, Final Fantasy X & X-2, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 8 & 9 the Sega Ages series to name a few.

In each of their genre's those games are essential and exclusive to the PS2. OK a version of PES4 (Winning Eleven 8) is coming out on the XB and GTA:SA will probably make it just most people have finished the game on PS2 and it hit's the Platinum range.The X-Box has some decent exclusive titles but nothing like what the PS2 has.

Sega, Nintendo, Konami, Namco, KOEI, Squaresoft, Treasure, Capcom - OK not every game they make/publish is a classic, granted - but I think you'll find they release a greater percentage of superb titles than western developers release. What's the jewel in our crown...EA!! All they do is buy up small developers who end up making them bigger & richer. Their core games such as their sports releases hardly change each year but they keep churning them out raking in the money.

Yes Mr Fantazmo I must agree PS2 Burnout 3 looks awesome - it's one of the most impressive titles I have seen on a console as well, not a bad for the old "dead and burried warhorse" :p

27. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    EA aint no jewel in anyones crown its just a soul sucking monster :)
    although it must be said Konami have been borrowing a few business idea from EA - churning out all those Beatmania, Dance games that are just minor updates - just like EA does with its games :D

28. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah doe's look good & will look even better on xbox :p
    Is it just me or is this thread gonna turn into xbox vs ps2 vs gamecube? :rolleyes:

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,846
    I hope not, see my previous posts :thumbsup: . The quality of new PS2 games is important though. Whilst the Playstation brand is immense, I still feel that the graphic quality of games needs to at least keep touch with the X-Box to ensure strong sales up to the release of the PS3. There would be something very wrong if the X-Box version wasn't visually better than the PS2 version but it's still good to see that developers are really pushing the now ageing PS2 to it's very limits.

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have to disagree on the Gamecube comment I am afraid. Most UK Retailers dont even stock it anymore and its taken a battering in the US as well. Yes its doing OK In Japan but the Dreamcast did well in Japan and that console proved that you need Europe and the US to survive.

I wonder how long Nintendo can keep subsidising their console efforts with handheld sales, especially with Sonys new handheld offering and the games becomming available for next gen mobile phones.

Obviously the PS2 will still sell in bucket loads this Christmas but its not because of the quality of the games, its the brand. As long as little jonnies friend has a PS2 and thinks its "The best" he will want one too.

Sony have had to drop the price because of disappointing sales the first half of this year, they are heavily reliant on the PS2 for their whole organisations profitability. Its good to see Sony under pressure. For years they have been able to dictate the pricing structure of the console market, well their own pricing structure at least, not any more :)