1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we get the new viewing cards for Sky STBs?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DaveP, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just sold a Digibox on eBay to a German buyer. It has a valid FTV card with it but I'm holding it back for now because of the upcoming issue of new cards.

I've heard conflicting stories about whether or not the box will "Phone Home" to initiallise the card.

If the cards start to be issued within a couple of weeks then I can wait to marry the new card to the box. If it's months, I had better send it off now.

Does anyone know when they will be arriving on the doormat?

Thanks

DaveP

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will be delivered between Oct and Dec, but they said chances are some customers won't recieve theirs till January.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bob007, I assume the forum will start buzzing as soon as they start to arrive!

DaveP

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I doubt if the card will phone home as you dont have to have the box hooked up to the phoneline after the initial 12 months, or if you buy the box.

It will be interesting to see if it works straight away though without a call to sky.

you may have to make a call to get him a FTA card when they turn off the old ones, thats if the FTA cards even need to be updated.

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the cards will have a new number. Doesn't that mean updating our individual subscription channels.

I subscribe to... um, FilmFour, yeah that's it. :D

6. PitBull

PitBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings,

Happened to notice mention of new Sky cards - what the purpose of these (have the existing ones been hacked at last) ?

Regards.

PitBull.

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - there are no accurate reports of successful Sky hacks.

The new cards are to allow increased interactive use and will make it even harder for potential hackers to penetrate the system.

They will be sent out over the next three months and will come with a warning to keep your existing card until the new card is fully operational - and only then destroy it.

They will of course also have a nice new Sky logo on them...