When will we find out about actual models of HDMI 2.1 TVs and when will they be on sale in UK?

200p

When will we find out about actual models of HDMI 2.1 TVs and when will they be on sale in UK?
For example, TVs that support 4K (or even 8K) at 100/120 fps, dynamic HDR, 48 Gbps HDMI support, Game Mode VRR.

Will it be LG and their OLED TVs that will likely be first with these TVs (eg. 4K up to 120 fps support?) - since they have been the ones demoing TVs like these (but not actual production models) in the past (and making claims about how OLEDs are the best technology for this eg. because of their response times). Will it be an electronics show early next year (such as CES 2018 in January?) when will will find out about actual models of these TVs? And will such TVs be on sale later in the year (2018) - roughly when would that be?

Also, any mention by manufacturers of whether next year's UHDTVs (including HDMI 2.1 capable ones if they are released next year) will be 3D capable? Will any manufacturer be adding 3D to their new TV ranges next year?

And what about broadcasts? Other than what's in various proposals/specs (eg. DVB phase 2/REC2020) Is there anything UK broadcasters have mentioned about approx when they will start?

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Haven't seen any info so far, I suspect you are right in that this is stuff that won't show till 2018.

I thought MS would have at least dropped some info at E3 during the Xbox One X unveiling but they chose not to demo anything related to it's VRR support which was disappointing.

Also it appears they are not going with HDMI 2.1 instead are using HDMI 2.0b with Freesync which may wind up being actually better as Freesync is a known standard and Freesync 2 displays must pass a certification test by AMD. I don't trust TV makers to do right with their own attempts at VRR which is why AMD created the Freesync 2 cert program after their experiences with display makers on Freesync 1.

However Samsung did announce it's new Freesync 2 display HG70 series and if Samsung are doing those in PC monitor form there is a good chance they may do it on TV's too but only if MS pushes Freesync PR wise in conjunction with Xbox.

Last edited:

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Haven't seen any info so far, I suspect you are right in that this is stuff that won't show till 2018.

I thought MS would have at least dropped some info at E3 during the Xbox One X unveiling but they chose not to demo anything related to it's VRR support which was disappointing.

Also it appears they are not going with HDMI 2.1 instead are using HDMI 2.0b with Freesync which may wind up being actually better as Freesync is a known standard and Freesync 2 displays must pass a certification test by AMD. I don't trust TV makers to do right with their own attempts at VRR (which is why AMD created the Freesync 2 cert program after their experiences with display makers with Freesync 1).

However Samsung did announce it's new Freesync 2 display HG70 series and if Samsung are doing those in PC monitor form there is a good chance they may do it on TV's too but only if MS pushes Freesync PR wise in conjunction with Xbox.
Pretty sure there is no VR support.

next010

Distinguished Member
I think you may have mistook the acronym, VRR stands for variable refresh rate.

Freesync and G-Sync on PC's are implementations of VRR, the HDMI 2.1 specification also now includes VRR which got many excited but there has been no news. It was thought the One X would have supported HDMI 2.1 but it turns out it doesn't and will be doing Freesync over HDMI 2.0 instead so perhaps the HDMI 2.1 stuff simply isn't ready.

200p

Any new info?
Nothing definite. Websites have speculated 2018 for HDMI 2.1 TVs. LG have said HFR (ie. 120 fps capable OLED TVs) won't arrive until 2018 "at the earliest" according to flatpanelshd.com (and those will most likely use HDMI 2.1 since current HDMI won't handle UHD 120 fps).

So I haven't seen a manufacturer say they will definitely release HDMI 2.1 TVs in 2018 but it looks like it is quite likely. Flatpanelshd says "based on our talks with Neil, Nandhu, and several other LG representatives, we would say that HFR in 2018 seems very likely". Though it will be a shame if 3D is still missing from TVs then.
Hands-on with LG's 2017 OLED TVs (& technical information) - FlatpanelsHD

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom