1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we Brits get US spec Panels?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jimsan, Nov 23, 2004.

1. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm a brand new poster, so 'Hi' to everybody!

I'm currently in the process, like many of us, of looking for the 'right' LCD TV. Where do you draw the line? I nearly plumped for the Panasonic TX32LDX1 but learned that it is not HDTV compatible and it's native resolution is limited to XGA. (WXGA Preferable).

Then there's the Sony KDLL32MRX1.... Too expensive and poorish contrast (Picky, I know)

Don't much like Sharp's although they do seem to be OK.

Anyway, the point of all this is that in the US and Japan they now have available LCD TV's with astonishing specs. Check this out:

32" LCD TV. True 16:9 (not that nonsense 15:9 that some have). 1200:1 Contrast ratio. 800cd/m2 brightness. 8ms response time.

Add to this all the DVi, Component and Progressive Scan facilities you can imagine, and, wait for it, less than $2000! (£1100!!!)

I know, some of these specs will be exagerated, but not that much!

Have a look:
    http://www.syntaxgroups.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

Does anybody out there know of anybody in the UK who can get there hands on TV's of this calibre?

I welcome your comments.

Jim

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic TX32LDX1 is a HDTV compatible pannel, although I don't know what sort of inputs it has.

There are a few LCD TVs over here with similar specs as that, although I haven't seen one with such a high contrast ratio and brightness. I would have thought many of those specs, as you said, are exagerated.

For the money, it does look like a nice display, but I don't believe the specs on there are very accurate. If you compared one of those with a Sharp AQUOS, I bet the Sharp would have the best picture, despite the lower spec.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Skiny,

The Panasonic is HDTV ready in the US but won't accept HDTV over here! Daft, isn't it?

4. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there is no HDTV over here yet, so theres nothing for it to accept. I don't know what sort of connections it has, but maybe theres an input that can accept high definition DVDs?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was kinda hoping that whatever TV I get will see me through for a good few years! My present TV is 8 years old (I think...) and is one of the very first widescreen Sonys (Still a very good picture..)
    With Sky apparently starting HD boadcasts in 2006, i wanna be ready!

6. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Then there's the Sony KDLL32MRX1.... Too expensive and poorish contrast (Picky, I know)"

Why don't you look at the Sony KLV-L32M1 instead then.. you get the same quality picture for half the price (almost)! The difference is that you don't get the media box and the "nice design" - personally I like the M1 design. Also the M1 has 16:9 instead of 15:9 like the RX1.

Have you seen the RX1 in real life - I mean with your poorish contrast statement. From what I've read, the picture on it should be absolutely excellent - someplace here I read that in a side-by-side comparison, it outshone even the Philips 9986 - I've read something to that effect on a Danish forum too.... I am still looking to see it in a shop somewhere, wanna check it out in person first.

I don't think the M1 comes with a VGA-in port though.... which is really a downside for me - how else am I going to connect my computer, so that I may watch HDTV on my new TV? (we won't have national HD broadcasts here in Denmark until 2012 or something like that ).

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Akerman,

I tested the MRX1 extensively at my local Sony Centre and compared to the Panasonic its blacks were not quite as good. The M1 is an ugly SOB and the Philips, I feel, is a bit overprocessed and is a palaver to connect digitally. I think I'll move to America.....or Japan...

8. Adil

Adil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that the US has a lot better standard of LCDs, I suppose its because they have a larger consumer market there and have a lot of american brands trying to compete with the Far East in terms of the specifications. In the UK we're not expecting anything HD for 2 years so there's no great demand for it..

.. and no, don't know of any companies over here that could match that, guess we're just gonna have to wait a little while until we catch up..

.. by the way, even though its a little bit smaller, the Hitachi 28LD5200 has 2 component imputs (1 of which is high def, 720p, 1080i..), RGB scart, and has a DVI-HDCP port, probably one of the best sets out there for connectivity, and its only £1000