• 130-200 yrs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Never

Votes: 40 74.1%

• Total voters

oxygenuk

Ex Member
Reaction score
IMO time travel will be around sometime in the late 2065-85 which when im my 80s-100s :rotfl:

i hope it comes sooner though, thats the only thing i wanna do before i leave.

but what are your thoughts on wen we will get it, we obviously are gonna one day but when :rolleyes:

Then why aren't they here already?

Well if at some point we crack time travel- people will travel. Are you suggesting that time travellers are among us at the moment, managing to pop in and out in perfect secrecy? That not even one of them has been hit by a car or passed out drunk and been found with the means to get back?

Tons of fun said:
Well if at some point we crack time travel- people will travel. Are you suggesting that time travellers are among us at the moment, managing to pop in and out in perfect secrecy? That not even one of them has been hit by a car or passed out drunk and been found with the means to get back?

or jost poped back to buy a lottery ticket?

I travel through time every day. What is the big deal?

I honestly think that some people in these forums watch far too much science fiction ! Time travel is impossible. It will always be impossible. Just because something is featured in "Star Trek" does not mean that it will ever be a reality. Tons of fun is right - if time travel was invented in the future, then people would invitably travel back in time, and we're not seeing them, are we ?

Time travel does not work on so many levels.

I think time travel will be possible last week...

Ah but those people coming back might not be on the same time line as us.

Nick_UK said:
I honestly think that some people in these forums watch far too much science fiction ! Time travel is impossible. It will always be impossible. Just because something is featured in "Star Trek" does not mean that it will ever be a reality. Tons of fun is right - if time travel was invented in the future, then people would invitably travel back in time, and we're not seeing them, are we ?

Time travel does not work on so many levels.

Actually - it is possible - Eistein and Mr Stephen Hawkins et al. would dissagree with you.

As for Star Trek - the idea of transporting matter .... has already been achieved .

..... its just 'nearly' impossible to do it with anything larger than a photon. ( in terms of the amount of power and processing envovled )

..... and if memory serves me right, it would take something like the entire engery of a star ( it could even been our entire galaxy ) to use the principles to travel in time as we currenlty understand how to.

Its not actually 'mumbo jumbo' - but its defineatly not something you or I are going to be doing anytime soon.

well what about that john titor guy?

if you havent heard of that search google for him.

and theres been loads more reports that make it sound as if time travel is real, i remember yahoo released a story abotu some other so called time travel man some time ago

never - no good evidence to suggest people have come back in time to visit us..?

oxygenuk - u may question that - but if we could go back in time then we would, thus I guess that would be the same for people in the future...

think about it! ;)

Maybe the human race blows its self up before we have the chance to invent time travel.
explosion.gif

Nick_UK said:
Just because something is featured in "Star Trek" does not mean that it will ever be a reality.

:confused: Star Trek is a true story.
p015.gif

If it was possible though, I would love to see the future more than see the past. Future first, Past second.
e065.gif

:D

Actually - it is possible - Eistein and Mr Stephen Hawkins et al. would dissagree with you.
They also believe in the numerous 'timeline' theory as well. Every 'action' has a number of possible consequences and all are acted out in one space time continuum or another.

On a more mundane level, if a ship was sent out from Earth with current tech in travel terms, but with proper cryo systems, the chances are they would arrive back in a different time period.

Ethics Gradient said:

Not so. Einstein and Hawking actually said that the passage of time was influenced by one's surroundings (i.e. the passage of time could be made to appear slower by travelling at speed). But it's all relative (hence the name of the theory).

Ethics Gradient said:
As for Star Trek - the idea of transporting matter .... has already been achieved .

..... its just 'nearly' impossible to do it with anything larger than a photon. ( in terms of the amount of power and processing envovled )

Well, since a photon actually has no mass, then it has not been achieved, since all matter has mass.

overkill said:
They also believe in the numerous 'timeline' theory as well. Every 'action' has a number of possible consequences and all are acted out in one space time continuum or another.

On a more mundane level, if a ship was sent out from Earth with current tech in travel terms, but with proper cryo systems, the chances are they would arrive back in a different time period.

Anytime you move further away from a strong gravitational field, time slows down.

So technically you time travel everytime you go upstairs for a pee.

lets hope it never happens were stupid enough as it is.

Gary

So technically you time travel everytime you go upstairs for a pee
.....and there was me thinking it was the alcohol! :D

Sure, you can infleunce the apparent passage of time, but you can't make time go backwards. If you were to travel 500 million miles from the Earth, and look at Earth through a very powerful telescope, you would see the Earth the way it was about 40 minutes ago. Now, you could argue that this was time travel, if you could travel 500 million miles in a split second.

Nick_UK said:
Well, since a photon actually has no mass, then it has not been achieved, since all matter has mass.

okay - relativistic mass ... using the old definition.

Nobody actually travells through time, either forward or backward.
The measurement system called time is simply used to help us identify the relative difference in space of things as they move from one location to another.
It would be a bit like saying we are travelling forward through temperature as it increases and back in temperature as it decreases.

Nick_UK said:
Not so. Einstein and Hawking actually said that the passage of time was influenced by one's surroundings

I seem to remember Hawkings disccussing a Tipler Cylinder ....

fortean said:
Nobody actually travells through time, either forward or backward.
The measurement system called time is simply used to help us identify the relative difference in space of things as they move from one location to another.
It would be a bit like saying we are travelling forward through temperature as it increases and back in temperature as it decreases.

in our dimension, space and time are linked - the notion of time on its own is wrong ... the correct way of looking at it is 'space-time'

Ethics Gradient said:
in our dimension, space and time are linked - the notion of time on its own is wrong ... the correct way of looking at it is 'space-time'

You should think about very carefully first. You can describe any point in time if you want without using a period of time in the description. Periods of time just make it much easier to describe. Space and time are only linked in so far as we use periods of time to describe changes in space.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom