When will they make it perfect?

samd1980

Standard Member
What a SKY+ HD box really needs is a Wi-fi connection.

Then you can join it to your home network and connect to any media server you might have on your PC(s).

How great would that be then heh? You could also then forego the silly telephone connection as it could do all it's work securely through the internet.

Come on Sky, make it happen!

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Yeah. Cos everybody who's got Sky has a broadband connection to the internet and a wireless router haven't they?

pcbbc

How great would that be then heh? You could also then forego the silly telephone connection as it could do all it's work securely through the internet.
In case you hadn't noticed, the internet uses a routed protocol. It's a fairly simple matter to reroute messages and make them look like they came from somewhere else.

samd1980

Standard Member
I am an IT manager, so yes I do understand this.

In case you hadn't noticed, Sky are pretty good with their public and private key encryption management and they could easily accomplish this by making the entire session encrypted (which they obviously would do - it would be ludicrous to attempt this in cleartext). Has anyone managed to get encrypted recorded material off the hard drive yet and then watch it?

For the luddites out there, the modem chip on the box probably costs about £2 so I'm sure they could keep that.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
No Sky box needs to be connected to the telephone unless it is part of a multiroom account (or if you want to order pizza, box office movies and vote on X-Factor). It certainly doesn't need a telephone connection to allow it to receive and record high definition transmissions.

Valkirk

Although they do put it in their T&C and have had people get sent disconnect letters unless they plug it back in....

And would love the box to be able to work as a media centre on a home network.....

samd1980

Standard Member
Also, imagine the options they could bring you if it did have internet connectivity. There's no reason too why it shouldn't have a web browser then.

Broadz: obviously for normal viewing you don't need it connected (my sky+ box has never been connected), but I think not being able to access box office is a big shame. Most of the interactivity on Sky is horrible to use because of that nasty slow modem that takes over your TV until it has sent the tiny bit of data that needs! It would be so much quicker and slicker over IP.

CaffeineJunkie

When the Sky HD box was originally designed wireless was hopelessly inadequate for HD viewing.

It's supposedly possible now with wireless N, but since that is still in the draft stage it's unlikely that Sky would include it.

Most people have 802.11G routers and I don't care if it does say 108Mbps, you will struggle to get a stable HD stream over it, let alone 2 or more.

Instead they could include a wired ethernet port that would easily support the required bandwidth... oh wait, they did. :eek:

Wires are your friends people. They are far superior to wireless data transmission. Powerline adaptors can be used to connect your sky box to your router.

samd1980

Standard Member
OK, so it has a wired Ethernet port. It still doesn't do anything!

I completely agree, you will get a much better data rate over Ethernet but there is certainly a lot of media that you can still stream over wireless. And most stuff that's downloaded would be divx etc so would be heavily compressed for transmission.

The only downside for Sky is who is going to pay for Box Office when you can pull the film off a torrent site and watch it through the sky box just the same!

Billy Hunt

It sounds like you need a PS3 it does everything you've mentioned.
I can't see Sky actively encouraging you to watch downloaded content via a PC.
Perhaps via Sky's servers at a premium

tscotsman

yep as previously stated ps3 works fine streaming 720p or 1080p. watch all my us shows in 720p now through the ps3. Indiana Jones worked perfectly in 1080p. So wireless streaming of HD is no problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom