When will there be a Television like or better than the Kuro?

elcid123

Standard Member
Hello Folks and a merry yuletide and happy new year, When will there be a TV to equel or surpass the Pioneer Kuro? I have heard Pioneer gave Panasonic there Kuro Technology and I have read some good reviews and some have come been reference category but not up to the bench mark sett by the Pioneer Kuro, good it be 2012 when a TV reaches this I wonder!

Steve

Spacecat

Banned
I hope NEVER seeing as i bought my Kuro 600KRP for £5 grand 3 years ago and still enjoy it everyday

they can bring out a better tv when its past warranty and blows up!

vipergrm

The Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD is supposedly a real contender however, I believe that this is only available in America. It's quite expensive too. It just shows how good the Kuro is considering we are several years since they stopped making them and it is still the best HDTV ever made. A stab in the dark here, but I reckon the new Philips Moth Eye could run it really close for overal quality. Still 14 inches too small so mayne not fair to compare them directly :)

hdiam

Novice Member
Personally I think that the Panasonic VX 300 is better than my Pioneer 600M I had before. Except for the black level.

It gives an amazing picture, so natural and life like.

However it's not a huge percentage and maybe I'm seeing through rose tinted glasses as you always think your newest thing is the latest and gretest but it certainly is on equal level.

middleweight

Personally I think that the Panasonic VX 300 is better than my Pioneer 600M I had before. Except for the black level.

It gives an amazing picture, so natural and life like.

However it's not a huge percentage and maybe I'm seeing through rose tinted glasses as you always think your newest thing is the latest and gretest but it certainly is on equal level.

so a 8 grand tv is on equal level of a kuro, what a bargin the kuro was compared to the vx300, and you saying the blacks are not so good ,for that type of money id expect it to blow the kuro away, but looks like it doesnt:smashin:

markfawcett

Panasonic, for me, have always produced a more 'impressive' HD image than their Pioneer counterparts.

It's difficult to explain but they just look more HD if that makes sense, probably because of the cleaner image on screen.

BJQ1972

Panasonic, for me, have always produced a more 'impressive' HD image than their Pioneer counterparts.

It's difficult to explain but they just look more HD if that makes sense, probably because of the cleaner image on screen.

They are fantastic for static images, but if you want to watch any of them new fangled moving pictures you are out of luck, especially at 50Hz.

toodeep

I hope that there won't be another TV like the Kuro as I unloaded mine to be shot of the dithering, etc.. There may never be a better integrated consumer TV for SD, but times have changed and I prefer a high-end Panasonic for HD viewing.

But then again its reasonable for folk to disagree and to have their own preference.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Typically the problem with Kuro comparisons is that people fixate on the black levels.
It's only one characteristic, albeit important to some people. In many other respects
the Kuro's have already been surpassed.

hdiam

Novice Member
For me the Pioneer's on screen noise was a real problem. Think I may be more susceptible to it then most. The VX 300 has a much more cleaner image so it really works for me.

I can't see any problems that have arisen in the VT30 but then you would hopefully expect that from an 8k panel.

Re the black level, you just don't really notice it. The VX 300 has much better shadow detail and graduation steps than the Pio in my opnion.

I love Pioneers, think they are great but am happier with the VX for me.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
That rockieav will never change, ignore him he tries to wind people up, he knows he is incorrect in most aspects :p.

elcid123

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback folks, I don't know whether to buy the: Panasonic TX-P42VT30B or wait and see what pany could come up with next year 2012? Reading both reviews there is the price of the 300 and then there is that it's not commercially viable to do it as pointed out in the reviews. But one thing I've learned over 3 decades is that high end technology and expensive at that, becomes standard and affordable. I remember VCR,s launched in the UK around the late 70's, all flat screen TVs coming to replace CRTs I could go on and on with all technology.
Well again what do you think?

Steve

Buckster

Distinguished Member
seems the VX300 is better :) - according to the AVforums review anyway :)

to be honest I prefer my PF11 to the Pioneer Kuros I've seen - ok not as good black levels - but no shimmering noise :) and lovely

is the VX300 really that much more expensive than the equivalent 65 inch Kuro was ?

especially when you consider over the last 3 years or so - most av devices have gone up a good 25-30% due to exchange rates etc

martinthorn1

My £350 Samsung plasma is better than a kuro as I can play DivX movies via a usb interface! (tongue firmly in cheek :) )

Ps. If the kuro can do this very good, point I'm trying to make is that it's difficult to compare tvs of different generations. Kuro definitely wasn't 3d for example so is rubbish at that! Now what gave the best pic, old Sony Trinitron crt monitor or the kuro ;-)

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
When enough people are willing to pay the money. Sets are getting there but with cost cutting itll take a while as its more than jyst PQ, the Kuros were built with decent parts, hard to do when most people want a set below a £1000 that does more than make a picture and sound.

Good point above, in some ways TVs now are better for many lol
When it comes to PQ and reliable quality componants though, itll be a while before anythng other than a pro or limited run set will be better.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the feedback folks, I don't know whether to buy the: Panasonic TX-P42VT30B or wait and see what pany could come up with next year 2012? Reading both reviews there is the price of the 300 and then there is that it's not commercially viable to do it as pointed out in the reviews. But one thing I've learned over 3 decades is that high end technology and expensive at that, becomes standard and affordable. I remember VCR,s launched in the UK around the late 70's, all flat screen TVs coming to replace CRTs I could go on and on with all technology.
Well again what do you think?

Steve

This does and will happen, but, take into account Pioneer Kuros were loss making sets. People now want(average jo) more features and want it all for less, decent componants arent cheap and with the cost of R&D for 3D etc, componants in most sets are only ever going to be cheap.

For the money Im loving my GT30, PQ wise its not far off the last of the Kuros in some ways and has 3D etc. I a
so have few noticeable issues on my set. If your budget only goes to VT30 money then go for it, sure next years sets will be better, my GT is better than the V20s I had. Bear in mind the extra cost though, the new sets wont come down in price for a good few months after release and that itselfs a few months away.

elcid123

Standard Member
I will leave it for now and see what 2012 may bring one think is for certain all manufacturers will be bringing out new models.

Steve

ArmitageShanks

I suspect the only thing that's going to top a Kuro on black levels will be OLED screens. Looking at the way plasma is going with all the environmental nonsense being forced into it, the picture is likely to get slightly worse rather than better. Both Panasonic and Samsung are battling to keep their black levels stable, let alone darker.

Hopefully next year's models will come up with some new whiz-bang plasma tech that saves polar bears and gives us Kuro blacks....but I wouldn't bet on it.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Sorry dont get what I was typing here" I a
so have few noticeable issues on my set.":suicide:

I dont think black level is the issue myself its what goes wrong getting it. It wasnt just the black level with the pioneers that made them good, they were good solid sets using better componants and werent aiming for lower power consumption.

OLED has its own issues to deal with, I can only guess by Panasonics investments in plasma they have something up their sleeves, hopefully we'll findout in a few months. I think OLED has a few years of development ahead of it yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett