When will the 3rd gen of Toshiba HD-DVD players be released?

Rob20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i.e. when will the HD-XE1 be replaced? Would I be right to think there will be new models this summer?

How old is it now? 2 months at most, I doubt there will be a rush to change it.

According to my what hifi magazine, in May Toshiba are bringing out a new (3rd)model called HD-EP10. It is going to be cheaper than the HD-XE1 and able to deliever 1080p video, Also on board the new player is a scaler capable of uspscaling standard DVDs up to 1080p quality, while all the new sound formats are also supported! It is set to retail at around 450 notes and looks identical to the original HD-E1...

Im still waiting to buy my first BR or HD DVD, i think i may get this one!

i.e. when will the HD-XE1 be replaced? Would I be right to think there will be new models this summer?

I really woudn't expect a new generation of players before Christmas season. However, I should think November/December is a good possibility.

May be end of this year once they get to understand ALL playback issues and other operational quirks exhibited by their 1st and 2nd gen players.

How old is it now? 2 months at most, I doubt there will be a rush to change it.

Ah, didnt' realise that. Thought it was 6 months or so. Perhaps I'll just wai until they've ironed out some of the bugs on the XE1.

Ah, didnt' realise that. Thought it was 6 months or so. Perhaps I'll just wai until they've ironed out some of the bugs on the XE1.

With the new generation of HD players essentially being computers running a Linux OS, the old thinking of buying a "black box" has changed.

So with your network-connected player, as long as the hardware is there to support it, new functionality and bug fixes etc. should all be possible with firmware upgrades and other downloads.

And from some of the things said on the insider threads, it looks to me that they're moving the HD players away from the traditional CE black box arena and more towards the computer realm, in how people can/should be using them.

EDIT The Xbox 360 user base seems to have enthusiastically adapted this networked/firmware upgrade/downloads way of using their gaming console, so there's probably no reason why AV users shouldn't either.

What about other manufacturers releasing a HD player??

I have heard nothing about this, ie Denon etc has anybody else??

Onkyo, Meridian and a couple of Chinese makers have announced HD DVD players - hopefully for release this year. And now the newly announced combo player from Samsung, too.

Steve

I think it would be fair to strike Meridian from that list. They specifically made a point of the fact that it takes them years to develop a product to their satisfaction... So, whilst I guess you can't rule it out completely, I wouldn't bank on seeing one in 2007, even if you can afford one, 2008 perhaps.

I definitely want to get one of these players. But first, a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Are they region free?

2. Do they play both PAL and NTSC?

3. Best place to buy? I understand in some cases, they sell with a few movies for free.

that's terrible. I think I'll wait until they decide to stop playing those silly games. Oh...and let me guess....I'll bet the XA2 is specific to R1 for SD right.

On the NTSC side of things, Amazon has this deal going in which you buy the A2 or XA2 and get The Matrix collection and you'll get two free hd dvd's also. On top of that you'll still receive five free hd dvd's from Toshiba through rebate. I think the offer ends in August or something. I just wish the players were region free. I'd be on it like a heartbeat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom