1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will Plasma Picture quality match that of CRT Conventional T.V.?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Glenzo, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'd love a large 42" screen to replace my brand new 32" CRT eventually, however as tempting as a Plasma can be the picture quality is not in my opinion worth making that jump just yet.

From entry models to Panasonic's Viera sets I find the picture very grainy and with loss of detail, particularly in darker scenes (more so on the £1000 models).

Will HD-DVD and HD Broadcasts eradicate this on Plasmas or is it a wait for further advancements in technology?

Any opinions would be interesting :smashin:

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    mine are cilibrated and well connected and are as good as, if not better than my old 32" CRTs (IMHO of course)

4. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i must say the picture on plasma looks a lot better when you get it home and play with the settings then when you see them in the showroom.i was nearly put off my panasonic when i viewed it in currys but was well pleased when i set it up.it looks better then any crt in my house to i should add

5. fathervic

fathervic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Plasma picture quality does vary on how much you spend, but most importantly what you're feeding them. Even the best TVs can look terrible on any broadcast as the signals are all so compressed - both on analogue and digital systems. The problem is the quality of the sets are so high now that they show up how terrible our broadcasts are... I've seen numerous HD feeds and are some of the best pictures I've seen. The panasonic is still by far the best I've seen with pioneer a close second.
    If you're not bothered with HD, pick up the pana. PE30 range as it's a better built set than the new PE50 and also better picture quality (there is obviousley a cutback somewhere when the cost drops so dramatically). If you want HD - PV500, definately
    Also if you have the money, I'd invest in a good quality scaler. Check out -

http://www.csesolutions.co.uk/cse-range-detail.asp?BID=13

It takes a while to set up but worth it as it takes in anything from RF to HDMI

6. Stumpywhu

Stumpywhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Due to moving house the PW7 was boxed up and the 28" Phillips w/screen brought out the loft.
    What a fantastic picture - and Im just watching sky.
    No motion problems, blurring or lip sync issues etc etc.
    I was constantly justifying the errors to myself while watching the Panansonic because the money was already spent.

I agree - CRT IS inherently better - no matter how well you calibrate your panel for best picture, it will still have the faults that we all know and love (?).

7. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pw7. I love it. Lip sync is cured via my amp, i've not seen any blurring, football on sky looks fine.
    the only problem i have is a bit of dithering, and i'm told that ISF calibration can cure 95% of this.
    Wouldn't go back to a crt now ever.

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is however true to say only the top end of the plasma market can equal CRT. So your popular Panny PV500s are at the bottom end of the quality market. Youll need to spend over 4k, at least.

9. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can you please tell me what ISF means in connection to Plasma screens?

Thanks Dave

10. fathervic

fathervic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As far as plasma brands go (typically 42"), I've yet to see anything better than than the Panas... Seeing lots of different units vitually side by side and fed from identical sources, the Panas have always been a standout performer(and i'm not talking about a dodgy composite SKY distribution in Dixons).
    If you're paying over £4k, it'll be from a smaller company who can't mass produce to keep costs down or there'll be a special modification somewhere - eg Yamaha. They use a Fujitsu panel with their own designed video boards to improve what is generally a good but not outstanding picture. Loewe TV's - Phillips tubes but used their own chasis. B&O plasmas - Panasonic screens. Pioneer eg, good screens but on price, again can't compete on such a large scale as Panasonic or others... If there's something better out there, then please point it out, I'd certainly like to see what else is on offer

11. lack300

lack300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Daverob i cannot tell you exactly, but will know a lot more on Monday as Gordon a well known ISF Calibrator From this Forum is coming to my home to set mine up a Panny TH50-PHD6. It is Not Cheap to have done But i should think the Equiptment needed to preform such a task is very Expensive. I cant wait to Start Enjoying it at its Best possible Performance.
    I will Let you Know how i Get on in the Evening...... "T".........

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Glenzo - whilst the lower cost units may have issues you'll find the likes of a Standard Definition Panasonic Display is more than a match for any CRT TV; though of course there are not that many 42" CRT's to compare it with.

Plasma may have a different look to CRT - that's not to say CRT is perfect; have you stuck a geometry grid on your TV recently!!!

daverob - ISF is a methodology.

The Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) recognised a while back that the AV and HT Industry required some form of standardised method for ensuring your TV, Display, Projector or Monitor was referenced to something akin to what the Director of your favourite Movie intended you to see.

Recognising that all TV's and Displays are inherently 'broken' by manufacturers trying to produce a 'stand out' image when you view screens side by side the ISF folk devised methods akin to the Broadcast world to ensure your TV is as close to Broadcast Reference Standards as you can make it.

Using Experience, Test Pattern Generators and very accurate Metering an ISF Technician will attempt to 'fix' your TV so that it best mimics defined Broadcast Standards - see http://www.imagingscience.com/

Best regards

Joe

13. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably right in temrs of the 42" market. I was talking 50 inchers I suppose and my touchstone would be the Fuji 50XHA40US. I dont do 42 ".. :devil:

14. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The size of your plasma is in inverse relation to the size of... well, let's just say I have a 37" plasma and a happy wife... :)

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've heard a rumour that Dilsher has a lot of happy ladies...

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    ah but I think Dil started that rumour ;-)

17. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehhee...no good to you lot though - these happy "ladies" charge a fortune!

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    no wonder they are happy :)

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    does the "ladies" mean they are actually blokes?

20. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, the only issue left with Plasmas (and even more LCDs) are black levels.

The PV500 has very good black levels compared to the rest of the market. But still, my PV500 doesn´t play in the same league as my Sony CRT...

If my Panny PDP had equal black levels as a Trinitron CRT then I would say Plasmas were perfect.

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you should see the blacks on pwd7...they are as black as a very black thing

22. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    davina's jumper is definately black on my pwd7

23. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no plasma guru, and certainly no expert, but I've just taken delivery of a PP50XHA40US and I would say the PQ is at least as good as the CRT it has replaced. It's just much bigger (which pleases me), hangs on the wall (which pleases the wife) and it much more expensive (which pleases Fujitsu).

win-win-win :)

24. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Lumagen and ISF, here we come ...........

25. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Joe,

Very many thanks for the information you posted. I understand the process is expensive, but in the end, a worthwhile investment.

Cheers Dave

26. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've switched my pansonic pa50 for a lcd (the jvc 6 series) and i thought the plasma was pretty good, but the lcd beats it so hard on picture details, i'm wondering how the next age of lcd's will be. The plasma still had too much problems with movement (too much pixelation) and the resolution of a the plasma caused it too have jaggies...it might have had a bit more natural tone and darks were better, but my lcd will beat plasma face to face easily...

27. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Llanowar - I have never seen an LCD screen that can come close to a plasma on normal (SKY etc) material. The new Pannys (PE50 and PV500) produce the best SKY picture I've ever seen - definitely no jaggies in sight! The built-in FreeView is apparently not as good. Can I ask what you were watching?

28. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    LCD does not beat plasma on picture detail.

An HD (anything) should beat an SD (anything else) on picture detail, but that has nothing to do with the type of display.

If you connect one display with HDMi or component, it will look more detailed than one connected with composite, but that is nothing to do with the type of display.

There are many setting with disgital displays that affect the picture, and they all have to be set -up correctly to make any sensible comparison.

I'm no plasma fan, by the way, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

best regards, Nick

29. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not familiar with the PA50 but is that an "older" generation plasma. If so, then the comparison is not really that valid because obviously as time moves on so does the technology. For example, my new plasma has AVM2 which makes things like Sky so much better than the previous models. Or so I'm told ;)

30. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to work in the design of CRT computer monitors and I can tell you that getting any big CRT to work is damn difficult. The largest that we did were 21" and they need loads of circuit driven correction to give a good picture. However, the standards for computer monitors are miles higher than for CRT TV's. My own 28" flat screen Hitachi has appalling geometry and very poor EHT regulation (this is what makes the picture bow in when a bright stripe is on the screen, the EHT drops when you draw a high current from the LOPT). It also has pretty poor convergence in the corners. By contrast, my recently acquired Pana 37PW7 has none of these problems. In the areas of contrast and handling fast motion it doesn't match my CRT set - but in every other area it is superior.
    I was worried about what I would see on freeview after seeing so many dreadful TV pictures in shops on plasma screens, but I am well chuffed with the TV picture, too.