1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will it be RIP for CRT?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon69, Jan 9, 2003.

1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have about 1200 hours on my tubes (NEC 9PG+), I figure that give me around 5 years of good viewing time.

But what is the future for CRT? will DLP finally come up to spec or will there be an affordable 9ft plasma screen that does not look like a pastals drawing?

Anybody any views on the future of CRT and home cinema?

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm happy with CRT at the moment.

But I forsee a time in the future when DLP will be close enough to become worthwhile.

By then my CRT would probably be expired anyway.

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

In a couple of years GLV (grating light valve) projectors will be along with contrast ratio's which will exceed those for lcd and dlp.
    When these babies arrive we'll be able to think about moving on from crt.

Brian.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Should be "Gradient Light Valve", FYI.

They still 'aint gonna be cheap :(

Mike.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dispite the bleatings of the lamped projector manufactuers they still are not able to get close to the picture quality even at the very high end (£30k) from a well set up CRT.

I still think the others will take a good 2-3 years before they have it and even then ony at the very top of the market.

CRT is still safe for a while. If not I have 60 very large door stops if any one would like one.

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Should be "Gradient Light Valve", FYI.
    Perhaps you're looking at something else or perhaps were just talking about the same thing.... like DMD (Digital MicroMirror device) and DLP projection are different names for the same device.
    All of the technical papers that I've looked at deal with Grating Light Valve (GLV) technology (try a google search). The GLV uses a semiconductor device to act as a defraction grating (hence the name) which can be used to produce interference patterns (i.e light and dark) in an incident beam of light. Depending on how the chip is operating, it can be used to produce a grey scale and that's perhaps where the use of the term 'gradient' may come from.

Did I say it was going to be cheap ! ..... high end crt projectors are seriously expensive as well.

I wouldn't disagree with Roland but GLV (at the moment) looks as if it will be a serious contender for the job.

Brian

7. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is always worth keeping an eye on future products, and when I win the lottery........

8. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the other thing to take into account is the non fixed resolution of CRT though, which all digital systems are based on.

Fixed pixel devices have their pro's and cons allthough.

What about that idea behind the laser CRT, which is basically the same CRT we have today except the electrons excite some other membrane than phosphor and generate a laser light, basically the same as what we have except MANY times brighter and far longer life in terms of burn.

No doubt in 50 years they will have LCD's with high CR's and blacks as well as perfect DLP's and GLV's but there will probably be a dozen new technologies stumbled over by then as well I guess