When will hdcp be switched on

nitrams19

Novice Member
I understand once hdcp is put on hddvd and sky hd you will only be able to use component at a downscaled resolution,unless i use hdmi.when is this going to happen and is the above true when it does.I need more connections and im not sure which way to go.
cheers

Avi

Distinguished Member
I understand once hdcp is put on hddvd and sky hd you will only be able to use component at a downscaled resolution,unless i use hdmi.when is this going to happen and is the above true when it does.I need more connections and im not sure which way to go.
cheers
I'm note sure if there is a definative date but IIRC 2010 got mentioned for HD disc formats. Sky may choose to do this sooner as they are less influenced by the Japanese/US markets.

AVI

StooMonster

HDCP is the High Definition Copy Protection system on HDMI connections, it's been "put on" on every HDMI connection for years.

What you mean is ICT (Image Constrain Token), which down-rezes HD to quarter resolution.

ICT is unlikely to ever happen to Sky HD boxes with component output, they will simply switch to new boxes without analogue component outputs.

ICT may happen to some HD DVD and Blu-ray players from 2012 or later. But won't affect any discs bought before that date, will only affect discs with it on, and also needs firmware support in the player.

Many people doubt ICT will ever be used.

Stoomonster

nitrams19

Novice Member
Cheers for the replies.As i said i need more connections and a component switch box seemed the best option for me.I didn't want to buy one to find i would have to buy something else because of the downscaling.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom