1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will CRTs become obsolete?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bexlee, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to upgrade my TV, and was under the impression that CRT would soon be superceded by newer technologies. However, whilst LCD & the like are getting better in quality and cheaper in price, CRTs still seem to have the edge & a decent 32" screen can be had for about £700.

So, is it worth waiting a little longer, or will CRTs still rule for years?

I know this can't be answered definitively & that one could wait for new technology with everything and end up buying nothing! Nevertheless, some opinions would be of interest.

Bex

2. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting article in the Times regarding this, recently. 6th and 7th generation tech issues with LCD.

Basically when PQ surpasses CRT, the need for a bigger screens increases (remember 28" are the best selling TVs), price per screen area matches and the footprint taken becames an issue. Resolution and HDTV will play a role.

Therefore, you would sooner get one in a Tokyo apartment, than in a middle England lounge.