When will a coronavirus vaccine be ready ?

Ewoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just seen this american news feed ..

Even at their most effective – and draconian – containment strategies have only slowed the spread of the respiratory disease Covid-19. With the World Health Organization finally declaring a pandemic, all eyes have turned to the prospect of a vaccine, because only a vaccine can prevent people from getting sick.

About 35 companies and academic institutions around the world are racing at full speed to create such a vaccine, four companies of which already have vaccines they have been testing in animals. The first of these – produced by Boston-based biotech firm Moderna – will enter human trials in April 2020.

This unprecedented speed is thanks in large part to early Chinese efforts to sequence the genetic material of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. China shared that sequence in early January, allowing research groups around the world to grow the live virus and study how it invades human cells and makes people sick.

Lets hope & pray a vaccine is found soon !

I read there are also 4 other existing drugs that have shown promise when tested on passengers from the cruise ship.

Remdesivir, an Ebola Drug

Chloroquine, an anti malaria drug

APN01, can help protect the lungs

Favilavir, an anti-inflammatory

Talking to a friend in the US that some potential US vaccine is about to undergo trials and has been given a government grant to begin production so that if it does work it's ready to be deployed ASAP.

Talking to a friend in the US that some potential US vaccine is about to undergo trials and has been given a government grant to begin production so that if it does work it's ready to be deployed ASAP.

Key point is that this is the US, so the unsaid part of this news is that the rich will get it first and perhaps exclusively depending on supply.

Hopefully they can fast track something safely, as typically 12 months minimum to go through stage 1 & 2 trials.

Although the previous research into develop a coronavirus vaccine, after the MERS and SARS epidemics, might help speed things up a smidgen.

Starting human trails in US later today.

The first human trial of a vaccine to protect against pandemic coronavirus is starting in the US later on Monday.

A group of 45 healthy volunteers will have the jab, at the Kaiser Permanente research facility, in Seattle.

The vaccine cannot cause Covid-19 but contains a harmless genetic code copied from the virus that causes the disease.

Experts say it will still take many months to know if this vaccine, or others also in research, will work.

And this first human trial, funded by the National Institutes of Health, sidesteps a check that would normally be conducted - making sure the vaccine can trigger an immune response in animals.

According to the US medical expert on the stand with Trump today, at least March 2021.

They were talking 18 months away on the BBC yesterday - seems hard to beleive.

I have a flu jab every year. The way I understand it works is that they look at the virus outbreaks in the Far East and Australasia during the late summer and early autumn and they creat a vaccine cocktail to cover the main ones - I believe that the one this year covered four different strains.

So how can they put a vaccine together in a couple of months - I assume that it is because they are usually slight variants of infections seen before and that COVID is a whole new thing. Otherwise what makes it so different.

Cheers,

Nigel

The basis is already there for the flu vaccine, there is more in the “mix” than just the strains.

they have to be careful and go through the correct trials, these are phase 1,2,3 and 4. To release the vaccine it needs to pass phase 3 which is the larger rest group. It’s here where they look for adverse side effects. No point releasing a vaccine that stops this but has side effects that are far worse

think thalidomide and the horrendous outcome of that

Straight to human trials...
Going to be like ‘I Am Legend’

Straight to human trials...
Going to be like ‘I Am Legend’

Oh man......

I've spent years training for a Zombie Apocalypse and now you're telling me it's going to be Vampires.

I'm so underprepared for that.

Apart from the US, no other country even starting vaccinating for H1N1, and most countries cancelled their vaccine orders as the virus had burnt out before the vaccine was widely available. That's also possible here too.

Now to shorten the route to use on human victims. Perhaps work with China - might be quicker that way.
A vaccine needs more testing than does a cure, as it will be used on healthy people; a cure can be used on those that are almost certain to die - some side effects aren't as bad as others!

Forget about the vaccine for a minute, it is more important that they find some effective antiviral medication first, something that will really aid recovery.

Now to shorten the route to use on human victims. Perhaps work with China - might be quicker that way.
A vaccine needs more testing than does a cure, as it will be used on healthy people; a cure can be used on those that are almost certain to die - some side effects aren't as bad as others!

They will never find a cure, I mean where is the cure for the flu and the common cold?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom