When Vision ends will Youview download still be free?

ghinzani

Established Member
Reaction score
We have an old Vision box in the bedroom which does'nt cost us anything a month, and BT have confirmed we wont have to take a subscription for Youview either if we switch over before the 30th June. One question they could not answer, or indeed seem to get their heads round was will the actual data download for the service still be free. As I understand it currently anything we download on the Vision box does not come off of our BT download allowance and is thus free. As we only really use it to record some of the Mrs soaps and watching Iplayer I could just stick a recordable Freeview box in there if they are going to charge for downloads, as Ive heard bad things off the in-laws regarding their Youview box's reliability.

Presumably once its switched off the Vision box will be useless as I think I recall it needs connectivity to function and cant just work as a standalone Freeview box without the record functionality. So its a case of take the HD out and recycle the box at that point?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.

My understanding is that when ( and if ) you go through the online process of 'upgrading' as they refer to it, you will be offered and can take one of two options- to continue with the same contract that you had before is one of them.

In effect, all matters go on just as before but with different hardware - so nothing should change.

BT say the old box will cease to function a few days after connection of the new box. I do not know if this is true or not, but if it is true - then the box ( silver box version) cannot be used for any function thereafter because it cannot initialise at start up unless it gets recognised 'back at base'.

I recommend going through the online process to acquaint yourself... you can go through the whole thing and can back out before the final confirmation easily and without any problem....which should help you gain further detailed information.

Last edited:
Thanks Gavtech, very good idea. If I find out from the small print about the broadband allownace being fre for Iplayer etc I will let all and sundry here know. cheers

Hi ghinzani,

BT TV usage does not count towards your BB allowance, no matter which box you are using. And as Gavtech says, the silver box will become a doorstop after the shutdown date.

Hi ghinzani,

BT TV usage does not count towards your BB allowance, no matter which box you are using. And as Gavtech says, the silver box will become a doorstop after the shutdown date.

Yes mate I called them and they confirmed that fact. Happy days! Thanks for the confirmation. Counts not just for Iplayer but any download.

oh and the old box's hard drive wont go to waste...

Well I think I might have to work from bed tomorrow to cleardown all the recordings. I'll miss the Vision box, once we went on to Infinity it never missed a beat.

My Vision box is still working as a Freeview box, despite being unplugged from the Broadband. Even the Iplayer was working up until I took the homeplug away.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom