1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to use source direct mode marantz sr4200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 7 of 9, Apr 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have two pairs of mordaunt short 10i stand mount speakers and a mordaunt short 10 centre speaker, and marant sr42oo.
    and i have two questions:

(1. for the best sound when listening to the radio and cds, should i use the source direct mode.

(2. should i use the source direct mode when watching dvds, tv, games.

thanks 7 of 9

i will assimalate all data.

;) :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Direct, stereo, no DSP. Bass & treble to default

2) Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital or DTS for DVD Movies. Pro-Logic for TV and consoles (if material is Pro-Logic, otherwise stereo)

3. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so should i use the source direct mode wen watching dvds, tv, or playing video games or not?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Source direct bypasses and processing for Prologic, etc. So no ... when watching TV, DVDs and (probably) when playing games, you don't want source direct mode.

You do want source direct mode when listening to CDs (assuming you arn't just using a digital connection) and other analogue music sources.

Vikki

5. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but the marantz does'nt bypass surround sound proccesing.

6. RAL 12

RAL 12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ultimately whether you listen to any source in direct mode or not will depend on which sound you like best.

I used to own a marantz sr5200 and found, after much trial & error, that the direct mode was best for all listening (music cd's, TV & DVD's).

Certainly with music / tuner i felt Direct was clearly superior than plain stereo or DPL II music mode from the outset - more weighty, less 'boxed in' sound.

Initially with dvd's I followed conventional wisdom (& the manual) and set front floorstanders as large, centre & rears to small and no sub (didn't own one then), hoping that the front floorstanding speakers would manage LFE & re-routed bass from rears & centre.

After a while though I found that sound in Direct mode (when watching dvds) was fuller / louder, had more impact. I'm not sure why this was the case (when putting the unit in direct mode the speakers all become large & sub to on) as the rears are certainly not full range (mission 77ds) and I had no sub, so (I suppose) I was missing the LFE and low bass in the rear channels altogether.
    Despite this I felt it was better and used direct all the time.

Perhaps the bass management degraded the sound, perhaps my speakers sounded better when playing just one channel (without having to replay bass of other channels as well) - don't know, someone more knowledgeable may a have better explanation.

Everyone's system (& room) is different so you need to experiment. This was my experience - may not be true for you.