When to upgrade, Brand Loyalty ?

sconie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been enjoying my first steps into DSLR with my Sony A450, I have the kit lens, Tamron 300 zoom as well as a beercan, like everyone else I keep buying and adding bits here and there.

I also enjoy reading the latest reviews and keep an eye both here and on the Talk forums, for any bargains, but I am wary about buying too much "Sony" kit, as I will no doubt move on in the future, I do have an itch for a D90 as the reviews are very good, but as there is a constant stream of new cameras released, I may hang off a bit longer.

So my question is, at some point will I become a "Fanboy" and stick with a brand due to my own liking and array of kit, or will it be constand visits to the forums, selling everything and starting again ?

Cheers

Depends on whether you actually "outgrow" the current bod - as opposed to "needing" features/functions it doesn't support - and another body in the range doesn't offer ;)

When that happens - assuming sony haven't launched a more recent body that meets your needs the the time has come to sell up and move elsewhere :)

JIm

As allways, Thanks Jim.
I have no need to move on right now, but having read through many forum topics, I do often wonder if there are defined "Camps" within DSLR, in which you have to choose one side or the other. In my case I have no problems at this early stage in selling up and switching brands, but I can see why owners become brand fanboys, as they don't want the hassle of selling up all the time.

In my case, I like the Sony brand right now (as you know) as there are plenty of minolta AF lenses fit the body without a problem, some of the other bodies have a more complicated set up. Like most hobbies, I will spend more as years go on, but I will want to advance both my skills and equipment performance for the extra £.

Can I ask, if you have switched brands over the years and what if any reaseon has made you stick with Sony ?

Cheers.

Hi there - I've not really switched brands over time - I started of with a 35mm Film DSLR - A Fujical ST705 (Pentax/M42 Screw Lens fitting) and after many years upgraded to a Minolta Dynax 600Si and built up a few MInota A-Mount Lenses with that - so from there the obvious move was to a sSOny DSLR when I could eventually afford it - been "there" ever since :D

If I ever think my "creative skills" are being "held back" by the capabilities of the Sony range the I'll quite easily (not happily as I'll be P!ssed off at Sony) sell up and move to another brand ;)

Of course having said that since getting the Sony A500 I've just about sold (or tried to sell) and replaced all my "older" Sony/Minolta lenses :laugh:

Jim

Fanboy is ultimately a phase. You buy into a brand, like a TV, Video game system or yes a DSLR system. The phase in adults starts with someone putting hard time researching an item - will it fulfill their requirements, is it value for money - with a purchase in mind for the future.

Purchase is made but various reviews compare similar items to yours. You feel the need to defend your investment - because nobody wants to look like they've made a bad decision, bought a dud if you will. Pride etc. Before we know it, the 2nd best thing about the internet occurs - faceless arguments for the sake of it. Having given some basic photography lectures - I've seen some seemingly perfectly sane people turn into drooling brand-loving maniacs if ever I'm faced with a question such as "which brand is better".

"You use Nikon?" they say. I reply "Yep, its a tool, like a hammer, brands aren't important, as long as it gets the nail in the wall, its all I need" - "But have you seen what the Branded camera X can do?" "I just feel more comfortable with the ergonomics of the Nikon" But 1080p high ISO frames per second.........."

These are grown up people for goodness sakes.

You will probably go through a phase, particularly when the odd idiot decides to proclaim one camera model is best, spouting technical specifications or even attacks your own. Its fair to want to defend it, especially when items like cameras become a member of the family to some people.

Just remember that you've got a miraculous little machine in your hands that gives you the chance to create something truly your own - as well as capture those good times when you're around the people you care about. Switch, don't switch. Only your opinion matters, particularly when the standard of imagery is so high these days.

That's a great summary of what most buyers of almost anything go through, the internet is a great tool, but sometimes there can be an information overload, and the techy consumer in us all takes over, and wants the very latest "toy", (and I am no different).

I will carry on reading, learning and playing with my camera, and will upgrade when the time is right for me, regardless of brand.

Many thanks.

With SLRs it is different. It is not so much brand loyalty as being tied into a brand. What other hobby involves you spending several times the cost of the main kit on accessories ? The deeper you get the more cost and hassle there is involved in switching. I know I would probably switch every few of years if it were as simple as just buying the camera.

If you are going to switch then I would do it as early as possible but think long term (that seemed to make sense in my head but now I see it I am not so sure :))

With SLRs it is different. It is not so much brand loyalty as being tied into a brand. What other hobby involves you spending several times the cost of the main kit on accessories ? The deeper you get the more cost and hassle there is involved in switching. I know I would probably switch every few of years if it were as simple as just buying the camera.

If you are going to switch then I would do it as early as possible but think long term (that seemed to make sense in my head but now I see it I am not so sure :))

Games Consoles - but I agree with your point - "up to a point" as I think there is a definite element of "Genuine" Brand Loyalty and it's not just that you're financially tethered to the Brand due to the previous investment :)

JIm

Last edited:
Yes I think I am in a minority. I judge everything on its individual merits. I couldn't care less about the badge that is stuck to the front.

Yes I think I am in a minority. I judge everything on its individual merits. I couldn't care less about the badge that is stuck to the front.

Me too but once having made a "VFM" decision initially I pretty much try to milk as much return from that investment as I can before switching :)

Jim

In truth if you ever find that you need to sell up completely for all manner of reason
you may
"switch" brand when buying later
It makes interesting reading but we can "adapt" to kit if we have to

I was always 'wedded' to Olympus, but names in general are not a guarantee of quality and in my view not worth paying a premium for. Because all the big companies will outsource manufacture to various locations, often depending of currency rates and any number of other issues. One batch of the same item can be reliable and the next have problems.

I will upgrade my D80 next year hopefully, I really like the look of the Canon 7D but my stumbling block is I have a Sigma 100-300mm F4 lens which i've really enjoyed owning, I could get rid of it now to help finance the Canon but it makes sense to keep hold of it and maybe look at the D7000, money aside i'd have the 7D but, for me, it's down to costs and what you'll lose out, in my case too much....for example I could sell my D80 body, 18-70mm Nikon lens, 50mm 1.8, MBD80 unit, spare batt, and the Sigma and generate almost enough cash to buy a 7D body :confused:

Sadly, I can't justify that and will wait until the prices drop?....i'm quite happy with the D80 for the time being but still I annoyingly keep looking at reviews:rolleyes: and seem to have a voice from somewhere egging me on:D

Dam that nagging voice, I think we all have that burdon to bear, if I could cut myself off from the internet and walk past every newsagent without reading about all the things that interest me ( Cameras, Laptops, Motorbikes, lapdancing.....erm) I would be a lot richer, however, life would be no fun at all.

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

I think a very appropriate saying is 'the grass is always greener on the other side' which is certainly very much true for DSLRs. Like pretty much any item or brand in life cameras still have their fanboys although unlike many other systems it does tend to be fairly difficult and expensive to change systems. I don't really agree with the point about games consoles in this regard as their games lose a lot of value very quickly whereas good lenses don't plus it's just a much lower order of magnitude costs wise.

I did switch just over a year ago from Olympus to Nikon after spending around 18 months deliberating over it. The E-3's AF wasn't performing well and as far as I could tell this was systematic in a lot of E-3's (if not all) however once you start looking further into it you release how much hassle it's going to be. I'd gradually built the Olympus equipment up over several years but if switching systems side by side I'd want to have the functionality of the Olympus set up straight off which meant spending a lot of money. Whereas I was very familiar with the Olympus system it took quite a bit of reading to decide what Nikon equipment to go for. There's also all the small things you have to consider as well such as flashes, grips, bags, batteries etc. which can add up to a reasonable amount.

The D300 was the obvious choice as it was the equivalent to the E-3 but I'd decided that I didn't want to do a sidegrade and that the D700 would be the better choice as I'd get the improved high iso as well the functional AF I was looking for. Eventually the catalyst was the arrival of a new pup who was taxing the micro 4/3's limited AF and slow shutter lag while the E-3 was as hopeless as ever at locking focus correctly so I bought my D700 then. I've never regretted it as the D700 is a truly superb camera and definitely a worthy upgrade over the E-3 in most areas. However anything less and I'm pretty sure I would have been disappointed with it as it's taken a lot of time and money changing to a D700 setup.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom