When to take / increase protein?

Koeman2021

Ex Member
Reaction score
So I've been consistently gymming 3 times a week for a month or so now.

I'm doing 40mins cardio plus weight training.

I've lost weight which is good, but it has been suggested I might want to start protein shakes or suppliments.

I'm clueless on this stuff, what does it do and when should I take it?

I've been told it'll help burn extra calories and improve my metabolism

As long as you are getting enough protein in your diet there is no need to take any extra. It will make no major difference to weight loss unless you, for example, swap it shake for a meal.

If you are making progress keep doing what you are doing a get protein with every meal.

Thanks for the response @Wardy257

When you say "enough protein". How much is enough?

I currently don't monitor specifically protein intake. As mentioned, I'm a complete novice.

It was one of the PTs at the gym that suggested upping protein through a pre or post work out shake. Hence prompted me to look a bit further

The PT doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking abouut🤔

Approx 1.5g per kg of bodyweight is about right for most. However, no less than 100g a day is reasonable. Try and spread it throughout the day but do not obsess about it. Total quantity is the most important.

Thanks for the response @Wardy257

When you say "enough protein". How much is enough?

I currently don't monitor specifically protein intake. As mentioned, I'm a complete novice.

It was one of the PTs at the gym that suggested upping protein through a pre or post work out shake. Hence prompted me to look a bit further
I had a similar experience with an someone at the gym telling me the same thing, and I did not know where to start. So I decided to do some research myself and I recently found quite a comprehensive guide on protein powders which I found really useful. Perhaps you might find it helpful also?
Personally I think protein shakes can be quite expensive, so I rely on food for my protein, but no doubt there must be some added benefits to using them.

So I've been consistently gymming 3 times a week for a month or so now.

I'm doing 40mins cardio plus weight training.

I've lost weight which is good, but it has been suggested I might want to start protein shakes or suppliments.

I'm clueless on this stuff, what does it do and when should I take it?

I've been told it'll help burn extra calories and improve my metabolism
I personally do not advocate protein shakes for people who are not seriously body building or strength athletes.
It is a SUPPLEMENT. Its not too supplement exercise, it is to supplement food if you cannot get enough protein from food.

I strongly suspect that most of the information out there about protein shakes actually comes from the companies that make them for marketing...

Friend of mine does A LOT of lifting and is pretty muscular. He was taking protein shake every day. I spent ages trying to get him to give it up and eventually he did.
He lost extra body fat so looked more muscular and ripped and felt a lot less bloated.
I just don't believe it is necessary if you have a half decent diet.

I personally do not advocate protein shakes for people who are not seriously body building or strength athletes.
It is a SUPPLEMENT. Its not too supplement exercise, it is to supplement food if you cannot get enough protein from food.

I strongly suspect that most of the information out there about protein shakes actually comes from the companies that make them for marketing...

Friend of mine does A LOT of lifting and is pretty muscular. He was taking protein shake every day. I spent ages trying to get him to give it up and eventually he did.
He lost extra body fat so looked more muscular and ripped and felt a lot less bloated.
I just don't believe it is necessary if you have a half decent diet.

Def this..... im pretty sure most of the shakes tell you to take it twice a day.... how the frig do they know your requirements for the day - just plain stupid.

You need to work out what your body requires (protein wise) per day (there is a few calcs online to give you a rough guide to start with).

For example myself - i need 200g per day of protein - my daily food intake gives me around 170g a day so i have a quick shake at some point (30g) to supplement my food and give myself the extra to tick that 200g box.

A guy i work with asked me if he should start taking shakes - i asked him if he knew what his daily requirements were and how much of that was protein - he said no - i spent a bit of time trying to explain its better to work that out (and how it can be done easily with apps like myfitnesspal etc) before spending the money.... before i knew it he was back from lunch with a massive tub of protein and said he cant be arsed with all that so he's just going to take 2 a day and see how it goes.... i shrugged - each to their own.

Def this..... im pretty sure most of the shakes tell you to take it twice a day.... how the frig do they know your requirements for the day - just plain stupid.

You need to work out what your body requires (protein wise) per day (there is a few calcs online to give you a rough guide to start with).

For example myself - i need 200g per day of protein - my daily food intake gives me around 170g a day so i have a quick shake at some point (30g) to supplement my food and give myself the extra to tick that 200g box.

A guy i work with asked me if he should start taking shakes - i asked him if he knew what his daily requirements were and how much of that was protein - he said no - i spent a bit of time trying to explain its better to work that out (and how it can be done easily with apps like myfitnesspal etc) before spending the money.... before i knew it he was back from lunch with a massive tub of protein and said he cant be arsed with all that so he's just going to take 2 a day and see how it goes.... i shrugged - each to their own.
Another guy at my place asked me for advice on losing fat. Spent a while with him helping him to realise that he actually didn't even know what he was eating! After lunch he came back with a tub of protein powder for his new "diet"....
I was pretty much done with him at that point.

Another guy at my place asked me for advice on losing fat. Spent a while with him helping him to realise that he actually didn't even know what he was eating! After lunch he came back with a tub of protein powder for his new "diet"....
I was pretty much done with him at that point.

i remember when i was stupid in terms of nutrition and fitness (and probably lots of stuff to be fair :D) and i used to get frustrated that some of the bigger guys wouldnt tell me the 'secret' to getting in shape.... bottom line is they were but i didnt wanna hear it... if youre not really ready to make a change all the advice in the world wont help. The supplement companies certainly dont help with the selling techniques and social media can be an absolute minefield.

I think hi protein foods are the new fad these days, too many companies are jumping on the bandwagon... high protein biscuits, high protein bread etc... but if you look at the actual macro's there's hardly any difference between them and the normal items.. :(

he-missed-his-30-minute-anabolic-window.jpg

Whey protein is a good protein but it isn't magic. Unless you are a top, top athlete the type of protein probably doesn't matter. Quantity comes first, then diversity. So if you eat eggs, fish, meat, nuts and seeds you will be fine. The minimum amount of protein needed is 0.6g/kg which is guidance for people under poverty in the 3rd world.

You don't 'take' protein.
Its an important part of anyones diet, like fats, carbs and acids.
Thats like saying when should I take my morning cup of coffee, when should I take my bacon sandwich, when should I eat my lunch.
You eat food when you are starting to get hungry, protein is part of your food if you have a balanced diet, you eat protein when your body tells you that it needs energy.

All of this 'eat protein 30 mins before or after a workout' is rubbish.
Your body will burn use or even store as it needs to, just have a balanced diet and you will be fine.

Scooby explains it best...

I only drink a small shake of 20grams protein if I'm not eating a meal after a workout, but most days I don't take supplements. I eat mostly three big meals a day, sometimes four, and each of those meals is full of protein foods. I've done alright.

You don't 'take' protein.
Its an important part of anyones diet, like fats, carbs and acids.
Thats like saying when should I take my morning cup of coffee, when should I take my bacon sandwich, when should I eat my lunch.
You eat food when you are starting to get hungry, protein is part of your food if you have a balanced diet, you eat protein when your body tells you that it needs energy.

All of this 'eat protein 30 mins before or after a workout' is rubbish.
Your body will burn use or even store as it needs to, just have a balanced diet and you will be fine.

Scooby explains it best...

Oh no you see, this protein shake is to give me calories and protein for the workout I've just done... And this banana is for tomorrows calories, and this glass of salt water if for dehydration I caused in the sauna..... :rotfl: :D:rotfl::D

I'm on the fence with this whole protien thing, do I take protein shakes yes, but only instead of a choccy bars etc, if anything I find it can help to keep hunger at bay at low calories.
But I do think that people are putting too much faith on protein like it's this miracle stuff that will get you buff and and in great shape? Yes I do but sadly it will not but working out constantly over time will.
I read an article years ago by a guy who was in his late 30's and he was in incredible shape, he had never taken a protein shake in his life but what he had done was constantly worked out throughout his life, he had the odd beers etc but all in moderation but generally kept to a good diet, so you get the idea.
But the growing trend seems to be over weight people hit the gym, hit the protein shakes hard consume far to many then in few months when they loose weight are adamant that the protein is the reason for the body change, of course it will have nothing to do with the working out, giving up beers and sweet stuff and creating that calorie deficit, nope it the miracle protien powder............

Last edited:
220 kilo bench 310 kilo Squat back in my heyday and never took a protein shake....

As everyone with any knowledge has already said, its horse shit unless you're a bodybuilder and those guys are absolute extreme freaks...

Varied diet with plenty of carbs to fuel your workout.... .05/.07 grams of protein per kilo of BW if you want to go down that BB route, but in all honesty if you are eating healthy wholesome foods and getting protein from multiple sources you will be golden.

Remember the old healthy food plate... still works a dream now.

If you want to be picky ensure you have a carb based delivery system for your protein and that you have some nice vitamins and minerals to complete your meal...

I lived off 2 min micro rice and tuna/chicken breast/scrambled eggs and mixed veg and hot sauce for years...

Maaaaan my arse stunk to high heaven too...!!!

As always look at what you're trying to achieve.

You are trying to grow the cross sectional diameter of each and every muscle fiber your work out. You are (micro) tearing them when you work and the body's natural reaction is to repair them stronger so that they dont have to tear next time and they can cope with the applied stimulus... this is darwinism 101... survival of the fittest. You place your body under stress and it adapts to survive... I digress.....

Look at how complete and incomplete BCAA's help you to repair those micro tears and what foods you will be getting them from. Look at what food combos make a complete protein...

This goes for any workout be it flexing your pecs in the gym or running your arse off in prep for an ultra.

Read up on the biology and A&P of what you are doing and understand it from that perspective which will help you implement it for you as an individual.

Protein shakes and a multi billion quid scam for 99% of the people taking them... as with everything in this industry someone is trying to sell you a dream and a quick fix...

Hard work and dedication are the primary ingredients to success... a healthy balanced diet is a huge part of that in any context of training.

Good luck.

bit of a confession here guys...

well, got a bit of a sweet tooth and during the lockdown have bought some of myprotein's high protein bars (contain 30gr protein), and with quidco and their usual sales can be had for little over a quid a bar - tho, they seem to be around 1.20 now...

the coconut is my fave, followed by the vanilla and honeycomb, and the orange...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom