when to snap up a 2012 Panasonic Plasma?

Muppet2000

Standard Member
Hello,

Am on the verge of splashing out on a 'GT' 2012 Panasonic plasma, because they seem to be a bit of a bargain now. The going rate seems to be about £900 for the P50GT50B, or £750 for the P42GT50B.

Panasonic are running an offer of 2 free pairs of 3d glasses, but the receipt has to be dated in March, so time is running out.

The thing that worries me is that maybe the price for 2012 models will totally nosedive once the 2013 models are actually on the shelves??

Of course, I'd prefer a 2013 model but don't fancy waiting another full year for a bargain :laugh: it's funny how TVs are more 'seasonal' than fruit&veg.

I'm always impressed by the depth of knowledge of the members here, so would really appreciate any views!

Thanks,
~muppet

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you buy from John lewis and the price comes down within 28 days, you can apply for a refund of the difference and you get a 5 year warranty. Have to buy by end of month for the glasses as you say

Ralphy1981

I've just purchased a GT50 from John Lewis today online. How do I apply for the free glasses ?

Ralphy1981

Thank you !

w3dal

Distinguished Member
i really dont know whether to order an 50" GT50 from JL or go for the new 50" ST model for a little more money. Like already said i gotta order soon and dont know which one to order :(

Ralphy1981

The new ST60 is supposed to be the same as the GT50.

I snapped up the GT50 purely because of the bargain price and the THX mode.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
The new ST60 is supposed to be the same as the GT50.

I snapped up the GT50 purely because of the bargain price and the THX mode.

And the two free pairs of glasses are also an added bonus :D

Ralphy1981

And the GT50 is a good looking set too.

Muppet2000

Standard Member
Vickster, thanks for the tip about the John Lewis 28 day policy. I popped in today and the sales guy confirmed it, so I ordered a 50" GT. Can't wait for it to arrive :clap:

Now I just need to sell my 9 year old TH-42PW6 to make space for it.

HD Elvis

i really dont know whether to order an 50" GT50 from JL or go for the new 50" ST model for a little more money. Like already said i gotta order soon and dont know which one to order :(

The Banding issue is pretty bad certainly on the display I saw. Personally I'd hold off until the new sets arrive.:smashin:

Ralphy1981

I saw an ST50 today in Richer Sounds and it looked fantastic so only a few sets have banding.

late8

wow Aug 2012 I paid £1200 for my 42" GT50 + 5 yr + 2 Free recharge glasses...... How it changes !

Palladio

After checking out the Forum as I do regularly decided to get down to John Lewis and get myself a Panasonic 50" GT as I thought it would be a worthy update to our present screen. Loved the set last year but couldn't justify the hefty price tag and at £899 it seems a steal.
Ordered it in the shop and then on the way out the wife suddenly remembered we had a Waitrose card come through he door last month offering 10% up to a max of £500 off any shopping for the next couple of months. Went back to the pay desk and explained and they said no problem, come back with the card and we'll give you the £50 back. A quick drive home and back to Waitrose with the card, went up to the Customer Service Desk and explained the situation and she refunded the 10%, even better she refunded 10% of the full price so ended up paying £809. Happy Bunny. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and have just claimed the free 3D glasses too. :clap:

All thanks to the forum. :clap::clap:

Just need the time to replace our trusty Pioneer 427 XD and make sure cables are adequate and long enough etc. Will read through the GT thread for settings advice as well. Hoping to see a decent improvement and maybe even enjoy Dr Who in 3D.

Brava 210

Palladio said:
After checking out the Forum as I do regularly decided to get down to John Lewis and get myself a Panasonic 50" GT as I thought it would be a worthy update to our present screen. Loved the set last year but couldn't justify the hefty price tag and at £899 it seems a steal.
Ordered it in the shop and then on the way out the wife suddenly remembered we had a Waitrose card come through he door last month offering 10% up to a max of £500 off any shopping for the next couple of months. Went back to the pay desk and explained and they said no problem, come back with the card and we'll give you the £50 back. A quick drive home and back to Waitrose with the card, went up to the Customer Service Desk and explained the situation and she refunded the 10%, even better she refunded 10% of the full price so ended up paying £809. Happy Bunny. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and have just claimed the free 3D glasses too. :clap:

All thanks to the forum. :clap::clap:

Just need the time to replace our trusty Pioneer 427 XD and make sure cables are adequate and long enough etc. Will read through the GT thread for settings advice as well. Hoping to see a decent improvement and maybe even enjoy Dr Who in 3D.

How did you claim the glasses without the tv box?

Palladio

Ahh.. managed to just about get the box in the car so didn't need to wait for delivery.

Rookies

Distinguished Member
Palladio said:
Ahh.. managed to just about get the box in the car so didn't need to wait for delivery.

What car was that. The whole box or top part off?

Ralphy1981

Hope the TV was stood upright and not flat !!!!

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Brava 210 said:

I think Panasonic will accept a photograph of the sticker on the back of the TV.

Palladio

Hope the TV was stood upright and not flat !!!!

Good point indeed. Realised this and did a quick risk assessment. :laugh: It was indeed flat, with screen facing up and well cushioned and only a short drive home avoiding any roads with speed bumps. Who know how it would be loaded and what route the delivery driver would choose ?

Ralphy1981

Have you got the tv working yet ? Pics ??

Muppet2000

Standard Member
Well done on getting the extra 10% off! Did you have any trouble using a Waitrose voucher in John Lewis? I think I had a voucher like that last year, but thought it only worked for groceries.

Interesting that you were able to get a 50" for collection. I was told they were warehouse delivery only, and that there was no point trying a different branch because it was the same everywhere.

Also, I phoned ahead and asked if they had a 42" or 50" GT-series on display and was told they didn't, but when I got there, they did. Not overly impressed with their telephone skills.

Palladio

Large Waitrose store in Southend that does groceries and John Lewis stuff. They had the 50gt on display and in stock but no 42GT's. All the screen displays looked fairly similar and as usual in a large well lit store the LCD/LED sets probably looked better to many. Surprisingly the salesman seem to have some idea what he was talking about and said we could either take it if it fitted in the car or get it delivered next Wednesday.

What with the 5yr Guarantee and a good service so far I'm very happy but you never really know what the service is like till things go wrong. Hopefully that won't be tested.

Finished unpacking it and set it up on the stand till I'll get the old off the wall, next job to read the manual and check whether all my current AV cables will fit or are needed. Have a feeling the set uses ARC and not sure if my HDMI cable is 1.4 or not.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
Large Waitrose store in Southend that does groceries and John Lewis stuff. They had the 50gt on display and in stock but no 42GT's. All the screen displays looked fairly similar and as usual in a large well lit store the LCD/LED sets probably looked better to many. Surprisingly the salesman seem to have some idea what he was talking about and said we could either take it if it fitted in the car or get it delivered next Wednesday.

What with the 5yr Guarantee and a good service so far I'm very happy but you never really know what the service is like till things go wrong. Hopefully that won't be tested.

Finished unpacking it and set it up on the stand till I'll get the old off the wall, next job to read the manual and check whether all my current AV cables will fit or are needed. Have a feeling the set uses ARC and not sure if my HDMI cable is 1.4 or not.

pics pics pics :D

Rookies

Distinguished Member
w3dal said:
pics pics pics :D

Yeah!!!!! Also surprise they let u take it flat too how far did u have to drive?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022