1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to replace the lamp?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by randallnhopkirk, Jun 14, 2005.

1. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm blessed (?) with a projector with a 750 hour lamp life and last night the normal boot up routine was interrupted by a message that the lamp had clocked up its quota of hours and needed to be replaced. The lamp hadn't failed (I couldn't have read the message if that had been the case), but the message included a dire warning about possible damage to the projector if I ignored the warning.

Now, given the financial incentive of manufacturers to sell lamps, can I assume they are being over cautious? What do you lot do - run the lamp until it fails to strike, or replace at the allotted interval to be on the safe side? I have the option of resetting the lamp life counter and carrying on with my fingers crossed but obviously I don't want to damage the projector. Does anyone know what kind of damage could be caused by running in excess of rated hours?

The projector's a Barco Graphics 6300. Ta.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, lamp failure can be quite an explosive business, so you run the risk of damage. If you are lucky, the glass fragments from the lamp will be contained by the safety housing. Failing lamps also tend do go dim and flicker a lot. It's really your call when you change it.

3. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lamp manufactorers usally base lamp life on a average, so, if your 750 hr lamp life is reached as a average, I can't see any problem if you get at least another 250 hrs from it providing the output is suffiecent, but probally wouldn't want to push it beyond that.

Ofcoarse I'm basing on 500 hrs(low end of scale) and 1000 hrs (high end of scale) which equals to 750 hrs logical average. :smashin:

4. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested to hear whether anyone has actually suffered damage to their projector through running a lamp until it goes pop.

5. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exploding lamps are not really common, generally, more often caused by defect in quartz glass or severe overheating (poor air flow).

If a lamp does explode, generally, the only problem is glass fragments, but that depends on the lamp design, and with the covers removed, most frags can be shook out, exploding lamps usually don't cause any major damage to anything but themselves.

Running a lamp over its rated usage, may cause other issues related to UV transmission from the lamp, which increase over time and can cause discolouration to Polisers.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    To be honest, I think the lamp flicker would drive you mad long before the lamp goes pop :)

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Exploding lamps should be contained within their own external housings, however we have seen plenty that eject stuff into just about everything in their path and these fragments are normally a tad hot so tend to bury themselves in most things..... Up to you but I would not ignore the warning, just go and get another bulb (shop around) and change it within a reasonable timescale, like one chap said, 250 hours from now it will probably have failed anyway... Don't try changing one of these lamps for a long time after it has cooled down they stay hot for ages (hours!). You will notice the new lamp will be much brighter for a fair while as lamps dim noticably with age but as its gradual you don't notice until you change it.....

8. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I'll let you know when and how it fails! :D

9. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well as promised I'm posting a follow up because last night - mid-movie, the projector gracefully powered down and displayed a lamp fail indication on the front panel. I'd gained no more than 100 hours in excess of the rated 750 hours.

Mind you, most of it's life that lamp ran in full power mode. The new lamp will run in eco mode from the off, so perhaps if I remember I'll post a comparative figure when that one goes.