• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

when to expect surround sound

M

mike261272

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

When i put a dvd into my dvd player and it has 5 or 7 channel audio this works perfectly on my yamaha dsp750 and monitor audio speakers and rel subwoofer.

When the amp is receiving from the television (freeview box) however the indicator on the front is always just receiving stereo, 2 channel sound. I have tried setting the amp to surround to no joy. now i realise that the TV will normally output sound in stereo anyway but the question is that if you are watching a film on the TV and the film says it is using surround sound should I expect the signal from the freeview box now to be coming through as a surround signal (dts / dolby or whatever) or still a stereo signal.

in short, will it only be the case that films watched on dvd's which are dts / dolby etc will utilize the full capability of the amp.

thanks

Mike

KyoDash

The indicator on the front of the amp just tells you what signal is coming in. So for normal TV or SKY it would just light up as stereo, the sound output however would still be in surround sound as long as you've selected Pro Logic (I or II) or DTS Neo 6. These decoders split 2 channel stereo up to 7.1.

Freeview stuff is broadcast in Dolby Surround which is just stereo mixed in a certain way so it can be coverted properly into 5.1. etc.

If you here stuff coming out of all speakers at some point during a film then it's all okay.

in short, will it only be the case that films watched on dvd's which are dts / dolby etc will utilize the full capability of the amp

Yes, unless you have at least SKY + connected via optical, in which case select content is broadcast in Dolby Digital or DTS.

peskywinnets

So what you're saying is that Sky only broadcast in stereo?

I thought they broadcast in Dolby Pro Logic at least - can anyone else confirm?

Dave

Distinguished Member
Sky only broadcast some films, on the film channels in full dolby surround.

Everything else is stereo which can be turned in to pseudo 5.1 by setting your amp to pro logic.

John

peskywinnets said:
So what you're saying is that Sky only broadcast in stereo?

I thought they broadcast in Dolby Pro Logic at least - can anyone else confirm?

I think your getting a bit confused over you surround sounds . Only Sky Movies & Disney broadcast in full blown 5.1 dd surround sound .And is only available for SKY+ & SKYHD . Everything else is either in Stereo or Dolby Surround ( most of the big US series , simsons and PL footie ) . You need to look for DD on the info banner for 5.1 or DS for Pro Logic/II .

John

peskywinnets

I have Sky+...that must be why i'm getting confused!

I was aware that Pro Logic was sourced from a stereo signal, but are you saying there's no encoding at all on the incoming source (ie just the decoder/receiver trying to guess where each of the channels should be routed?

peskywinnets

Quite a revelation! And could be why Pro logic always sounds pants when watching the TV (great on DVDs)...I've taken towatching in stereo of late - much better on most broadcasts IMHO!

Dave

Distinguished Member
peskywinnets said:
Quite a revelation! And could be why Pro logic always sounds pants when watching the TV (great on DVDs)...I've taken towatching in stereo of late - much better on most broadcasts IMHO!

Really :eek:

I mean, don't get me wrong dolby surround is pants compared to dolby digital but i'd still rather have it pseudo than in stereo.

What amp and speakers are you running if you don't mind me asking?

peskywinnets

I watch a lot of music stuff so it should be no surprise that it sounds better in stereo. I have an Arcam avr100 (which I've never really liked for home cinema - but I guess it is fairly old) Have a B&W CC6 MKII cente & until recently some B&W P6 floorstanders as fronts. I'm hoping my next imminent amp purchase (AVR300 on the shortlist), will show a marked improvement as a receiver.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Ah, that explains it. I agree that for music use you just can't beat good old stereo.

My amp will do pro logic 2 music but I hate it when sound gets over processed. I'd rather manufacturers not bother giving me "hall" "unplugged" and all the other crap and knock 20 quid off the price.

I mean seriously, does anyone ever use these ridiculous settings? Bleeding "hall", bah humbug, I hate it.:rolleyes:

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i think there is still a minor bit of confusion in the explanation given.....(or it could just be me being confused...heh)

If the sky planner doesnt say DS or DD, then the program will be in either mono or stereo, your amp will then use its Pro Logic decoding technology to guess where some sounds should go to make it more exciting, but its usually a mediocre attempt...especially with old mono films/shows...

If the Sky planner says DS, then that means the program was created with a Dolby Pro Logic surround track in mind, this is not full blown discrete channel surround...its simply single rear channel information that is encoded in to the stereo signal in a way that a Pro Logic decoder will pick up as obvious that the sound needs to be fed to the rears.......shows that use this very well are Star Treks more recent series, the more recent Simpsons series plus the US drama shows.....

If the sky Planner says DD, then it is carrying a full 5.1 discrete channel Dolby Digital sound mix...however you can only access this if connected by optical cable from the Sky box to your amp......however as mentioned this is only available on Sky Movies, HD and Disney...not all the time though....

conventional TV and Freeview can do the first two, normal and DS, but neither offer DD yet...

Your amp will only ever show Dolby Digital or DD5.1 (whatever your amp likes to show) with Sky+/HD via optical.....otherwise it will show Dolby PL2, DTS Neo6, or whatever other in-house surround formats your amp offers (Hall, Auditorium, Game, 5 channel stereo etc)

peskywinnets

Damn it - I thought I had it for a minute! :rolleyes:

So my earlier thoughts *were* right? ie there's some basic encoding in the off air stereo signal that a pro logic decoder can decode to provide very simple steering to the centre & rears?

Dave

Distinguished Member
I suppose the easiest way to look at it is there are 3 types of audio broadcast with sky. Each with various sound quality.

No surround, where the epg shows nothing.

A little surround, where the epg shows DS.

Proper surround, the epg shows DD.

So yeah what you just said is sort of right if it says DS.

Unless the epg says DD or DS, your amp has to decide what sound goes where which isn't exactly great. However, if the epg says dd or ds, it tells your amp where to send it, resulting in a much better sound.

The reason DD is far superior is because it tells your amp a hell of a lot more.

Whew, this isn't easy after 6 bottles of stella, or is it 7.:rolleyes: :suicide:

peskywinnets

Thanks - got it (in fact always had, but hadn't realised that those progs with no DS or DD, had no surround infor but were merely your receiver's interpretation of where the stereo signal should be routed to).

Many thanks,
PEsky. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom