When to buy new TV - now or January sales?

GaryEuphonic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first decent size (50") telly after knocking my old 32"er over accidently at the weekend and smashing it to bits.

I want a 1080p 3D and the cheapest I can find so far is the LG 50PZ250T going for £600 on amazon (although I have a 5% code through my job I can use)

My question is when should I buy? Do people think there will be big January sales in this market?

I really want it now (xmas without a telly will certainly be a bit different) but could potentially wait if it people thought I could save a fair amount by delaying to January?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers, Gary

You could always buy from John Lewis as they will PM (against other bricks and mortar stores or themselves) within 28 days purchase which will cover the start of the sales. There'll be bigger savings on less popular (often not as good entry level models) - the big sheds will have stockpiled a job lot of TVs they have got cheap from the manufacturers - I reckon on a £500 TV you may save £50 (Xmas without a TV for £50...you'll spend more going out looking for a TV to watch over the period)

The really big sales this year are predicted to be on furniture (which is great as I need a new bed :D)

the whole concept of january sales is a bit dated now as most electronics stores are constantly in sale times and the peak is leading up to and just after xmas (boxing day onwards), the department stores do still tend to do some january sales but its on homewares

I meant the post-Xmas sales which start on 26/27 December and run into January

im in the same boat, looking for a tv between now and end of dec. Prices are too high for me as yet

the whole concept of january sales is a bit dated now as most electronics stores are constantly in sale times and the peak is leading up to and just after xmas (boxing day onwards), the department stores do still tend to do some january sales but its on homewares

I agree with this. the 2011 models have been out for a while. Usually, they don't get any/much cheaper after christmas.

Sets already dropped significantly already this year with people getting amazing deals in the last two months. Seasonal sales are mostly to clear stock, stuff they want rid of. If a sets still selling they have no need to discount it, theres no point. If you wait til April-May there may be some deals, but then last year people lost out on sets as stock ran out quite quickly. Comet had a 42"ST30 for 500 for quite a while, rrp is around a K.

Thanks a lot guys - just the encouragement I needed to buy the TV asap!

I have just noticed LG are doing £100 cashback on the 47LW450U so it is effectively the same price as the 50PZ250T.

What would people recommend? I am happy to lose 3inchs (on the telly) but is going from plasma (on the 50) to LED Plus (on the 47) also a bit rubbish, given I will mostly watch blu-rays and play xbox? The 47 has passive 3D (and 7 glasses) which is obviously a bonus but I won't be watching a huge amount of 3D anyway..

For gaming, better to go for plasma if playing fast stuff especially

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom