1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to buy CPUs, Graphics boards etc?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by esta56, Nov 20, 2003.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With the fast changing prices CPUs and Grapics cards, is there a right (and therefore a wrong time) to buy them?

What I'm getting at here is, do the prices fluctuate as and when, on an ad-hoc basis or are the prices ammended at fix points such as monthly, quartely etc. If it is the latter then it makes sense that whatever items you're after, you buy them at the beginning of a new price period and not at the end of one. This could amount to quite a difference in price for the sake of a few days.

Any ideas?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No pattern AFAIK, constant fluctuation.

Shop around for whatever you want & get it at the best price. That's what I do :smashin:

3. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only thing I've noticed over the past couple of years, is that memory tends to go up in price towards christmas.

The only other price fluctuations I've noticed is when new products are expected.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    If its for a workstation I tend to spec the latest fastest components as long as they have been out for at least a month and there is nothing hugely improved looming on the horizon.

Then I look and see if I can get the same performance I need by dropping the speed of the cpu or the spec of the graphics card if ti means significant price savings.

If its for an HTPC I just look at what it needs to do and buy good reliable kit thats up to the job not necessarily the latest and fastest.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    I too do not get equipment round the Christmas period and till after January at least as some of the stock can be in short supply. CPU’s are coming down all the time. Memory fluctuated dramatically if it gets too cheap they cut production and the prices go up but the long term trend is down as with most stuff where technology is progressing.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    If you go here and click on a product you can see the price trend of it.