• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

When to buy a replacment lamp?

CinemaGuy

Im am nearly running up to the 2000 mark on my projector, still a nice bright image, there is still about 1000 hours to go, it might not get there but touch wood, my question was, when should I buy a replacment lamp, should I have a backup ready or buy one when my current bulb fails? Reason I was asking was the warranty that are on bulbs are not long, if I buy one now, the warranty will run out by the time I want to replace the lamp. Thanks!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Exactly don't buy till the old one goes as like you realise the warranty will run out before you use it.Just get the new one lined up ready to buy when you need it.

CinemaGuy

Ahh I see, many thanks for your reply! Ive seen ProjectorPoint has quite good prices for bulb, are they a good source for genuine, original manufactured bulb?

greigym

Banned
Projectorpoint are to be trusted...been around for a long time. I dont think they sell just the bulb though so I would recommend "superlamps" on Ebay for that. As far as im aware, they are the only guys who sell the real deal rather than cheap imports. They display the manufacturers logo on there adverts as they are the only ones who are accepted.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
Exactly don't buy till the old one goes as like you realise the warranty will run out before you use it.Just get the new one lined up ready to buy when you need it.

Or as an alternative, buy a new one, install it and use the old one as a spare.

Event Horizon

I have just ordered a new bulb from JP-UK, they do next day delivery if you order before 4.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It is always worth replacing lamps earlier rather than later as older lamps work the power supply harder - requiring 20 - 40% more current to drive.

2000 hours is an excellent life, so think about replacing soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom