When to arrange a new ISP contract?

elsmandino

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently been notified that my Broadband contract is due to end (on 6/6/19).

I am looking into alternatives but am not sure when to actually set any of these up.

Purely as an example - if I sign up with Plusnet today, and they say that there is an activation date of 10 days, that would mean that my existing contract would be terminated on 31/5/19. Would I not be hit with some sort of fine, from Talk Talk, form technically terminating my contract before the full 12 months?

Is it possible to specify an activation date with your new provider? If not, what is the best tactic for signing up with a new provider?

I would think you can sign up to Plusnet today if the activation date is in ten days that's fine just let the Talk Talk run its course and terminate on the 31 05 19.
Just make sure no further payments are been sent to Talk Talk after that date, you can have more than one ISP running just select the one you want to use in your WiFi settings. Ive had two running in the past one as a back up.

I switched from Talk Talk to PlusNet, a few weeks ago. I wanted to switch on 10th May (the day my TT contract ended), but using the online process with PlusNet you can't specify a start date (I was doing this early April). So I called them up, and managed to specify 10th May.
But when the acknowledgement came through, it mentioned that the start date was 17th April. And TT sent me an email asking for £10 or so early termination charge!
Anyway, I sorted it with a couple of phone calls, and everything went smoothly on 10th May. So you can do it a few weeks ahead, but keep an eye out for the confirmation emails. You'll need to call them up though, I'm sure you can't do it online.

In my experience of switching (done it 7 times now) the activation date is always 14 days (10 working days) from date of order. So if you place an order tomorrow you will switch on 7th June, maybe 8th if they throw the bank holiday into the equation. You may then get billed for the extra day or two by TT.

Last edited:
I would think you can sign up to Plusnet today if the activation date is in ten days that's fine just let the Talk Talk run its course and terminate on the 31 05 19.
Just make sure no further payments are been sent to Talk Talk after that date, you can have more than one ISP running just select the one you want to use in your WiFi settings. Ive had two running in the past one as a back up.

You can only have one BB contract per telephone line. There is a smooth transition for migration of one ISP to another. If you want to have two overlap then you have to two active lines.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom