1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When they put an England shirt on

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, May 28, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    I expect bodies on the line stuff . Whether its rugby, football or any other sport I dont expect them to insult our flag or our country by putting such inept performance on. Those guys playing the Barbarians are an absolute disgrace so bad they cannot even get the basics right. I wont even bother to mention names other than Paul Sackey because he alone , amongst the backs,is exempt from criticism. Suffice to say that most of those players should never be let anywhere near an England shirt again. These guys cannot even tackle.To let in scores from 40 yards is unforgivable. I know its been a long season but when that shirt goes on you play with unbridled pride, you adopt a Dunkerque spirit and you give everything. Otherwise dont bother turning up. Will the soccer boys do any better? :mad: :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,527
    No Englishman would ever call football....soccer!

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    There use to be magazine called Soccer so you're wrong there.Also bear in mind that rugby is called rugbyfootball so I use the term soccer to differentiate the two games/. The Irish have a game called Gaelic football and the Aussies have Rules football. And the yanks? I rest my case. Soccer it is
    Anway it deviates from my point that I am thoroughly hacked off by an inept performance of gargantuan proportions. They were playing a scratch side for Chriissssakes.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Actually, it's Association Football, not soccer.

Rugby followers call their game "football", as do the Irish, Aussies and Yanks.

I agree with you on all other points. I reckon money, or rather the lack of it (players don't get paid a lot for international appearances) has a lot to do with it.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Australia has stopped calling it soccer to fall in line with the rest of the world (apart from the US). The governing body here has re-named itself Football Australia from Soccer Australia.

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Well its just semantics- soccer, footy whatever.I justb hope they put a better performance against Canada and then Argentina who will skin them if they play like that again. Just shows there is not much strengthg in depth in The Zurich premiership. I can never imgine a Kiwi side playing with such little passion and rolling over in quite the same way.I mean those guys have pride.

7. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see the game, however, i would guess the guys were actually giving it their all - unfortunately the English team are not that good the moment.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Individually the English FOOTBALL team are better than anyone else in the world. They seem to lack teamplaying skills more than anything else. They don't gel as a unit as well as the Brazilians Germans, or Italians seem to do so brilliantly

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    You've been watching footie after hittin' that scrumpy again Games! :D We lack several top quality players in key positions. In particular in defence and Midfield.

It worries me a bit (getting back to attitude) that young Richardsons first thought was not "now play me alex" but "now pay me more Alex". His words (second words) were 'I want a new contract'. Didn't even take the time to bask in the glory of his new found international career...............

Perhaps this is why Wenger isn't interested in young English players?

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Never confuse soccer with soca.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that's just for suckers

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Absolutely ! They have gone up in leaps and bounds and a lot of it is down to the restructuring of the game and centralised contracts which means that test players only play so many matches each season and spend much of their time honing their skills within the squad.Wonder if football and rugby can learn anything from them?

I spent nigh on 20 years watching England team playing rugby with increasing ineptitude and what made my blood boil was watching the rival fans laughing at them( "English lambs to the slaughter, boyo"). I knew the fault lay with the clowns that administered the sport(RFU) who would did absolutely nothing to rectify matters save replacing the coach each season. Finally the old duffers went Cooke took over the coaching and things improved during the nineties culminating with Sir CW victorious 2003 team.

Given the number of players we have here and the money in the sport it seems to me reasonable that England should be amongst the top 3 or 4 teams in the world. After last sundays inept performance I cant see that happening and, once again , they'll end up being a laughing stock Grrrrr! :mad: Clubs are overplaying their players and they are bringing in more and more foreigners which means new English talent doesnt get a chance.The clubs are entirely self serving which is stupid because for the vast majority of rugby fans England takes priority - as it should!

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    English rugby players are certainly being pushed too hard to the detriment of both country and clubs. I went to Twickenham to see the Powergen Cup Final and both teams were heavily marred by injury and exhaustion which has clearly been the case since around Christmas. Players simply can't be expected to play one or 2 games every single weekend! I gather that things are in motion for this to change soon though. :)

15. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    We've been calling for a reduction in matches in the Southern Hemiphere for almost a decade. Super 12 in March, then Summer Internationals, Tri Nations, SA County Championship (Currie Cup), then the 4 Autumn Internationals in Europe in December! Ridiculously long season!

But Money Talks and there is too much at stake for the Unions to worry about player fatigue. They just want to sell more tickets. This will probably turn around and bite them soon enough. Overplaying your stars will lead to serious injuries - look at Wilkinson in 2004 - and your National Team's rating will suffer.

16. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Plus the fact that players are bigger stronger than they ever were before meaning more injuries and the likelyhood of burnout.
    I didnt realise things were bad in the SH as well .Thought they had things better organised down there.