When space is tight

pandora77

Novice Member
Can anyone recommend an av rec or amp with a max width of 270mm (height and depth not a problem)? Ideally 4 channel. Speakers not purchased yet but cables in situ. The main purpose is TV sounds.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Width isn't something that varies between AV receivers and all receivers conform with the width you'd commonly associated with hifi components. Width will always be in the region of 440mm and definitely nowhere near 270mm.

pandora77

Novice Member
Width isn't something that varies between AV receivers and all receivers conform with the width you'd commonly associated with hifi components. Width will always be in the region of 440mm and definitely nowhere near 270mm.
What about the new Sonos Amp - width is 217mm. Think this might do it albeit pricey

dante01

Distinguished Member
What about the new Sonos Amp - width is 217mm. Think this might do it albeit pricey
Sonos are very limited in terms of surround sound. The Sonos would be okay, but only if its limited surround abilities satisfy your needs? Make sure you check its capabilities before commiting yourself.

Also note that you'd need to add Sonos wireless speakers if wanting to use the amp as part of a Sonos surround sound setup. The amp is only 2 channels and not a surround sound AV receiver.

Last edited:

pandora77

Novice Member
Sonos are very limited in terms of surround sound. The Sonos would be okay, but only if its limited surround abilities satisfy your needs? Make sure you check its capabilities before commiting yourself.

Also note that you'd need to add Sonos wireless speakers if wanting to use the amp as part of a Sonos surround sound setup. The amp is only 2 channels and not a surround sound AV receiver.
Have you seen the brand new amp - its 4 channel @ 125w. Think I may have to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Have you seen the brand new amp - its 4 channel @ 125w. Think I may have to bite the bullet and spend the money.
£600

4.1 as opposed to 5.1 so no centre channel for dialogue.
Limited format support, I can't find anything definitive on this (why isn't it on the Sonos site) but their other products manage DTS at best. No HD audio formats, no Atmos or DTS:X which other AVR's can do for nearly half the price.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that limited a system. You're looking @ £1100 minimum with no sub and the cheapest Sonos speakers.

mushii

Distinguished Member
The new amp is 2 channel, so you would, as @dante01 says, also need a wireless pair for surround or you will need 2 amps which would be £1200, for which you could buy a much much nicer AVR. I think that you need to accept that your space constraints are going to prove to be limiting or very expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom