When should I use pre-outs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ukdilmah, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ukdilmah

ukdilmah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am currently using pre-outs on a Yamaha RX-V667 into a Cambridge azur 650A for the front L and R channels. I have acoustic energy radiance 2 floorstanders, with the radiance sub and centre speaker and radiance 1 bookshelves as surrounds.

I need another receiver for a second room and am contemplating upgrading the 667 and putting that in the other room. If I got, for example, the Onkyo TX-NR709, would it still make sense to drive the front speakers via the 650A? presumably at some stage this doesn't make sense.

Any help (or other suggestions) appreciated!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    As a general guide you need to spend 3 to 4 times the price of a stereo amp to equal the performance from an AV receiver. The 650A was/is a good stereo amp so I would suggest that it is going to sound better than even the 709. As you start to get to an AV receiver that is 4 times the price the 650 was then you will start to get to a point when using it will not make sense. However, if you got a better power amp then again the preouts will make sense again.

3. ukdilmah

ukdilmah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!