When my 963SA died it ate Disc 3 of series1 of 24, should I demand a replacement?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zAndy1, Aug 25, 2005.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Hi,
    When my Philips 963SA died it had disc3 of the 1st series of 24 in it and I couldn't retrieve it as whole machine wouldn't respond. I've sent it back to Play and they've given me a refund (fair enough) but when I asked if they could get me the disc back I received this reply:-

'I have contacted the manufacturer of the DVD player in question, to see if they can recover the disc in question.

Unfortunately, they have been unable to do this, as the person I have spoken to believes that this player was unable to be repaired and thus destroyed.

Once again please accept my apologies that I cannot be of any further assistance to you in this matter'

Now if this was a single movie disc I wouldn't be so bothered but as it's one disc of a boxset of 6 and especially with it being 24 which I was in the middle of watching and can't now carry on watching I'm a bit peeved to be honest. Do you think I have grounds to demand some sort of compensation as it's not my fault I've lost this disc and it's made my boxset worthless!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    Havn't got a clue about your rights with this but I do offer my sympathies :D ;)

Losing a 24 disc (especially if your part way through it) is like losing a kidney :eek: :rotfl:

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Same things happened to mine,just waiting for play to pick it up for a refund.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Blimey, must have been a dodgy batch they've been selling off!
    I'm not sure about my rights either, I mean that is my property so I think I have every right to expect some sort of compensation.

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Andy
    have you sent the p;layer back?
    I was able to boot it up again after 10 tries,then was able to get my disk out.

Problems started as it wouldn't read disks.Then wouldn't turn on at all.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Yeah I've sent it back already, it literally was dead so I couldn't get the disc out. Are you getting a replacement or refund then?

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bizarre - just happened to me too! This was on an SDI modified machine, 8 months old, not from Play.

The problem is overheating. It is a known problem. Not much use now, but to get your disc out, you should just leave it for a day or two with the mains out. Then plug the mains in. If it still doesn't work, wait for a day again with the mains in and it should come back to life. Take disc out and get refund!

Luckily I was offered an excellent deal on an upgrade to a 3910/SDI machine.

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    That exacly what i did.

Im gettinmg a refund and buying the samsung 950.

9. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if the disc was stuck inside the machine when you sent it back and you informed them of this situation, then yes claim for it. The service people can extract it, all they need to do is take the top cover off the player to gain access to the mech' and then they can retrieve your disc.

10. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you didn't inform them of the disc being inside at time of return - I think you'll be onto "plums".

However, if they are a decent company I think they could at least offer the cost of single replacement disc. Wouldn't and you shouldn't expect a complete box set!

Talk directly with Philips and see what happens!

All the best.....

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    I informed them before I returned it that it had kept one of my discs and also explained that in the cover letter I included with the player when I returned it. As I said in my original post though it would seem the player has already been destroyed as it was deemed beyond repair. I am however surprised that the disc couldn't be retrieved I have to say! Not gonna leave this, might try Philips as suggested but doubt I'll get any joy there..

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Well it would seem my perseverence has paid off. Received this email from Play this afternoon:-

'I can fully appreciate your comments regarding your disc and I am sorry that my initial response was not particularly helpful. The DVD manufacturer stated that they were unable to retrieve the disc since they did not know there was a disc inside the machine when they destroyed it.

I have, however, spoken to our buyers and they are going to obtain the disc you are missing. Please confirm that you are missing 24 Season 1 disc 3??

I will hopefully be able to get the disc to you by the end of next week. I hope this is a more satisfactory response to the problem, and once again, please accept my apologies for my earlier email.'

So it looks like I'll be getting a replacement disc! I have to say Play have been fantastic, they gave me a refund no questions even though it had been 2 months since I bought it when it died and now they're doing all they can to get me a replacement disc. Credit where credits due...

13. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    "Good Call" :)
    Nice too hear you got a result! :clap: