1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Jacksons finished with LOTR, What about 'The Hobbit'?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Uzeless, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you guys reckon? I read somewhere that when Peter Jackson has finished with 'The Lord Of The Rings' trilogy, that he may consider making a film based on 'The Hobbit'.
    I personally like the idea but maybe it is a step too far.
    Any thoughts?

:smoke:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enjoyed reading The Hobbit for the first time, will buy if/when it comes onto DVD (the 4 disc set!) :D

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I read The Hobbit before The Lord of the Rings. And always thought it an integral part of the whole thing.
    I hope they do it, I hope the announce it before I go and buy the TLOTR box set trilogy.:D

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    AFAIK Jackson is down to do a remake of King Kong eventually but he's intending to make a couple of smaller budget films first.

The rights to the Hobbit are not owned by New Line ( who did LOTR). This does not necessarily preclude the possibility of Jackson directing it though. Other info I'm aware of is that the price for the rights to the hobbit were astronomical and New Line were not prepared to obtain them for such a price unless the LOTR films were succesful( the total budget for LOTR trilogy is comparatively small for 3 films of this type).

Personally I think the Hobbit would transfer to the screen if anything more succesfully than the LOTR trilogy. I would like Ian Holm to do Bilbo .

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finished the hobbit a while back and it was much easier going than the fellowship of the rings (if anyone else bursts into song I am putting this thing down for good:mad: ).

the hobbit could make a much better source than the LOTR from what I've read so far. I'd love to see it on screen with Ian Holm back again. an example of perfect casting.

6. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But do you not think he's a bit to old to play Bilbo? I mean The Hobbit was set a good few years before TLOTR.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but the ring meant he didn't age between then and the FOTR, plus they did ok making him look younger for the flashback scene were he finds the ring in Gollum's cave

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    If they do it I hope the get Sir Ian as Gandalf, as he seems to remain the same age all the time.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember where I saw it, but in an interview with Jackson, he said he wants to watch The Hobbit in a theatre with his family, and wants someone else to do all the work making it. Course, that was just after they wrapped up filming, I think. Right now, I seriously doubt he'll do it, but maybe in a few years he might change his tune.

As good as he is, I think they'd be best giving it to somebody new, and bringing in Jackson as a consultant to give it the same feel as the trilogy.

10. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    IIRC, Peter Jackson bought the entire set of Bilbo Baggins' house [because he liked it so much]. That got me thinking that a film of The Hobbit would come along at some point. Great idea too!

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is already a long thread on this exact same topic in the LOTR forum... :)

12. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ! That's probably where I read it!

Ne'er mind.;)