When it All Goes Wrong!!

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by PRESSTOG, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Well the Zoe Broke Doh!!

Being a great believer in you don't know how good customer service is or isn't till there is a problem to resolve I got the chance to test that with Renault.

I was a little concerned if Renault would be up to much with aftersales coming from the BMW i3 which has had good support if there is a problem,

Anyway the Zoe went faulty earlier in the week, the Rapid Charge system failed while in London, so could only charge it at 7kw, and the TCU (Comms Computer) went down so the mothership could not connect to the car to get any info.

Called Renault Support who offered to have it lifted to the nearest Renault dealer and supply a rental car till it was fixed, but as it would charge on 7kw we decided to let it charge to full then get it home on the charge and take it to the local dealer the next day.

Arranged to drop it off, arrived at 8am and they said it was likely if parts were needed for the charging system it would be after Christmas (I must admit I prefer a dealer that gives it straight rather than fobbing off with tomorrow tomorrow etc etc)

So as well as the TCU Issue and the Charging issue it was agreed they would sort out two issues that had been there since handover,

1 The Drivers Seat Leather is faulty (or more likely the base under it is which is causing the leather to flake and crease
    2 Windscreen wiper on drivers side does not touch the glass in the middle

So it was agreed it needs a new wiper and seat base and leather cover. plus TCU unit and diagnostics / parts for the charging system

While this was being discussed a driver from Enterprise turned up with the rental they were lending us, They could not lend us the Zoe thay had on site as a demo as it was booked out with a customer, and Enterprise dont have any EVs Locally (No Suprise).

But they had managed to source us a brand new Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid (Better than nothing).

That was handed over and Renualt called us to make sure all was OK and to let us know that we needed to keep all receipts for petrol we put in the car and they would reimburse all of it as driving an EV Petrol is not an expense we would normally have.

I also mentioned driving into London and they agreed to cover Congestion Charge and Parking Charges in London.

So, So Far A Big Thumbs up great liaison between the Dealer Renault ZE Assist and Enterprise, they have booked the car for a week and told us as soon as they hear on parts will extend till new year if needed.

So Minus Side NO ZOE for a While.

Positive Side can still drive into London with no petrol costs etc.

Hoping the comms from them stays as good going forward through the repair.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,947
    I was expecting a tale of woe, but that's quite uplifting, bar the initial reason for the thread :thumbsup:

3. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Yes I must admit they have been very helpful

Had a call this evening from someone at Head Office Customer Services saying they will act as a point of contact and update as needed

Can’t knock the car for having a fault it can happen on anything

Our other i3 (Bev version we got rid off in July) blew its drive motor after 500 miles from new, these things happen it’s how the dealer and manufacturer handle it that makes all the difference

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,947
    It's such a new market, I wonder whether there is an extra incentive to help? Or am I being cynical? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jassco

jassco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Good to hear they've been so good about claiming expenses back. Our leaf is going in for repair soon under an insurance claim, and the hire car company can't provide us with an electric replacement. The legal firm dealing with the claim (Admiral Law) have told us we are unlikely to be able to claim back any expenses like petrol, as that's a 'normal cost of motoring'. They just can't grasp that electric is far cheaper per mile, and that if our car is in for repair for a month then we'll be £200 out of pocket

Sorry - end rant

6. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    That is bad, you should not be out of pocket and if its a no fault claim you should be able to claim back all reasonable expenses incured

If it was me I would be showing the claim company your Electric Costs per mile mine, and the Fuel Costs per mile of the supplied car and demanding they reclaim the difference from the other parties insurer.

So if the fuel car is 10p mile and your EV was 2p mile you want 8p mile driven while in the petrol

Should be very easy to prove the difference with them by providing fuel receipts for the Petrol Car and specs for the ev showing its miles per kwh and your electricity costs for charging at home

I know @gangzoom managed to get his claims company to provide a like for like tesla and bill the other insurer, so maybe he can shed some light

7. jassco

jassco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Yup I asked gangzoom and he provided some useful info, but I've gotten nowhere with my insurer. They are going to try and claim the petrol costs, but said it's unlikely. They used the excuse that if they provided a hire car to replace a petrol car, and the hire had a slightly worse mpg, then it wouldn't be possible to claim the difference. Let's see where we get to, but my experience is that the insurance industry just isn't suited to insure electric cars and provide a good service at the moment. I'll definitely be selecting my insurer much more carefully next time.

8. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Sorry to hear you are having such problems, I agree the insurance industry has not got its head around Electric yet.

I know it varies by person and area, but personally cannot recommend Aviva enough when it comes to EV insurance, Have both my i3 and Zoe with them, and the prices have been consistently lower than any other supplier.

Maybe an opening in the market for some enterprising outfit to start up an insurer aimed directly at the EV market offering things like EV courtesy cars during accident repairs and a better knowledge of what is needed in the EV claim process. I am sure they would have customers beating the door down if the prices were competitive.

Good Luck and I hope they stick with it and get it sorted for you.

9. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Back in the Zoe

Some issues resolved some awaiting parts till after Christmas

TCU (Comms Computer) now fixed online services now working again and getting charge updates from car

RAPID CHARGE Failure. Software updates applied won’t know if it is a full fix till London run tomorrow

Drivers Windscreen Wiper needs redesigned part being sent from France will be after Christmas

Drivers Seat needs new base and leather cover being sent from France will be after Christmas

I think they were glad to get me out of the Ioniq Rental car as it had totted up £120 in fuel in 6 days so that on top of the rental was adding up for them

Will see how it goes and hoping the final fix of bits after Christmas will be last it sees if the service centre for a while

But so far been an ok experience

10. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Just an update on this

It went back in for the seat replacement and windscreen wiper, also to continue diagnostics on the RLink computer and rapid charge issues

That was 2 weeks ago today,, it’s still in there seat and wiper have been done

There are emails going backwards and forwards between the dealer, Renault and The Portuguese company who make the rlink unit for Renault (tomtom) the dealer has seen the failures and faults multiple times has managed to photo and video them and is waiting for a response from Portugal on the next step

The charge issues again are still under investigation they say it’s charging ok and can’t understand why it’s spitting out pages of diagnostic errors while it’s charging. The dealer is in communication with Renault in France to resolve this

They put me in a diesel ford Kuga 4wd enterprise rental car when I took mine in

So far in 2 weeks and that’s racked up £500 in rental costs and £500 in diesel (30mpg really') and congestion charge/parking

So Renault seem to be fairly anxious to get me out of the rental and back in my Zoe as soon as possible as it’s hurting them in the pocket, but have already extended the rental fro the next week so seem to have little faith it’s going to be quick

But I must say the comms from head office have been fantastic calling every time they say hey will and sitting on the dealer so hard they flinch when you menition head office ;-)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Well its all back on the road (Just in time for the 2nd Zoe to arrive)

They took 2 weeks, and did a lot of testing, since having it back have not had any issues with it charging (Had software updates). And the RLink system is not crashing (Had a full new unit fitted)

Renault Customer services have been excellent throughout prodding the dealer when needed.

Refund for fuel was done very quickly emailed them a copy of the receipts as the requested and got a cheque for £501 for the fuel by special delivery the next day.

So now hopefully it will go onto provide a lot of hassle free motoring, Vicky is taking this car on full time now so the mileage buildup will drop a bit (She averages 25k a year compared to my 40k)

I am collecting the work Zoe tomorrrow, and as i will be based out of an office in Luton almost all the time, its going to be 120 miles there 120 miles back every day, plus work trips out as well, so this one will spend most of its life on the move or charging. Just need to remember which one to take in the mornings as they are both identical!