• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

When is HEVC going to available on a PCIe GPU

fxv300

When is HEVC hardware decoding going to available on a PCIe GPU.
This would make streaming from Freesat a possibility.
At present with a 6 core system it does nor work with software HEVC decoding.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Hybrid main profile HEVC decoding is fairly common now since it's basically just a driver improvement (as some steps are shared with H.264). You don't say which Hexcore CPU you're using so it's hard to guess how powerful it is but most desktop ones should manage with a little assistance.

If you want to go the full hog then there are GPUs cards with dedicated Main10 decoding hardware, notably nVidia's GM206 used in the GTX 950 and GTX 960.

fxv300

Hi,my gear is:
AMD PhenomII 6core T1100 3.3Ghz
W10_64_16G Ram
GPU Sapphire R9 270X
(Freesat) AzureWave AD-SP400 DVB-S2 (Freeview) BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2
Monitor LG 27MU67
AMP SONY STR-DN860
Speakers QAcoustic 2020i
Streamer ROKU4

When I try the ASTRA 4K channel the CPU is peaking at 100% and the pictures kinda melt every few seconds..so not sure if my FREESAT tuner needs updating.

I know that AMD have a new module but yet not available as a GPU
AMD Offers AMD Embedded Radeon E8950MXM Module
I'm not too sure if I need a new Video Card with HEVC built in.
Your comments appreciated.
Cheers
Frank

astra1.JPG
astra2.JPG

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is it a 10-bit stream? It's a hard subject to search for but I think your 270X is capable of hybrid decoding, at least for 8-bit streams.

fxv300

astra4.JPG

Is it a 10-bit stream? It's a hard subject to search for but I think your 270X is capable of hybrid decoding, at least for 8-bit streams.

Not sure how to tell....does this screenshot give enough info. Buffer overflow is shown. Usually if the Freesat tuner struggles to get the data you get discontinuities showing up.

fxv300

Hi, I have managed to record the demo. It does not view properly when watching via DVBviewer using HEVC software decoders (built into windows 10). However when playing the file on PowerDVD14 it plays and does not miss any frames in glorious 16 bit colour, however it slow down every now and then.
astra5.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom