1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When exactly are the next gen consoles out..

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

I know there is no definate answer but any ideas as to when the 360, PS3 et al are due in the UK as I was thinking about buying a PS2 for some casual gaming as I am moving home to live with my folks and will have loads of time on my hands :(

However, unsure as to when the next gen is out.... :confused:

Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pete.

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    XBOX360 is out in November, Revolution and Playstation3 are due mid 2006

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,380
    Only the 360 has a confirmed release window in Europe: Late 2005 (Prob Nov/Dec). Judging by many press reports, the PS3 will probably be autumn 2006, and the Revolution early 2007.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Thanks guys. 360 is getting a massive head start then.....

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It sure is, whether or not any good games come out after the release is a different story however

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Xbox 360 is out in the US in November and November / December UK.

PS3 is rumoured to launch in Japan March / April Next year with a US launch in Summer / Fall. We might get the Ps3 for Christmas 2006 in the UK but almost certainly not in decent numbers as possibly the 360 launch :(

As for the Revolution. How longs a piece of string. Nintendo cant even put out a decent spec let alone speculate on a release date. Christmas 2006 Japan early 2007 elsewhere :confused:

Crispy there is no need to get bitter :lesson:

I really woundnt worry about the software side, they have guranteed 25 games available at launch and 40 during the launch period "Within first month of launch" Thats a huge number of titles and there are plenty of AAAs ones in there.

I seem to remember the PS2 launching with 15 games all of which were rubbish. Didnt seem to do Sony any harm did it, despite the crap software (And hardware as it happens)

One point to make about the PS3 is that it seems to be running seriously behind schedule. They havent even started making the Cell processos yet. As of E3 they hadnt distributed any developement kits to third party software houses. They didnt even have a working prototype to show at E3 this year and all the software shown was running on PC Test beds.

Seing as developement kits for the 360 have been in circulation for over 2 years you can see waht they are up against.

One thing is for certain, the PS3 wont have a decent third party release line up at launch given the amount of time they are giving people to produce the software for it. And the Revolution wont have any third party support at all this time - because it dosnt appear to have the same sort of capabilities of the other consoles.

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I wasnt being bitter mate, it happens with all consoles after release, there is always a drought of new games, for example all the big games for DS wont start coming out until July which is long after release of the console

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Not really, the PSP had some great games available at US release - Ridge Racer, WipeOut Pure, Lunmines, Tiger Woods, Untold Legends etc. The 360 looks to have some awesome titles set for launch with GR3, Gears of War, PGR3, Quake 4 & maybe even Dead or Alive 4.. you can't get much better than that.

Naturally you can't expect there to be a ready made games catalogue of 2000 games at launch but how many quality games do you want to start with...there is only so many hours in a day.

Personally i'd be happy with a couple of great titles at the 360 launch as I find if you have too many then you don't do them all justice.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The other issue is how much cash do people have. If they are already spending £200 - £300 on the console they are unlikely to get more than a couple of games.

I think 40 games out within 1 month of launch is amazing really if they can pull it off. Its never been done before.

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It would be nice if they had a constant stream of games, hopefully they will be console exclusives as I will be getting FPS games like quake 4 for my PC instead, really looking forward to DOA4 hope it will be as good as Virtua Fighter 4 Evo

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    They are different sort of games really - a bit like comparing Burnout to Forza Motorsport. VF4 is a highly in depth fighter where as DOA has always been a lighter hearted, fun beat em up that anyone can quickly pick up. I'd expect more of the same from DOA but with even better graphics and more interactive scenery.

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I havent played DOA since DOA2 so Im unaware of the changes over the series, didn't think it would be as deep as VF4E but what is? :)

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    DOA doesn't try to be deep, but that doesn't mean it's not a great beat em up. Burnout 3 doesn't try to be deep but that doesn't mean that it's a bad racer either. If you are expecting VF4 from it though then you may be disappointed.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I was hopeing that it would be fun :)

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Well in that case it could be the game for you - the previous games have definately been fun. :smashin:

16. Henders

Henders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the time of launch it was easily the most powerful console available, the XBox was over a year away.

If the PS3 is behind schedule, then so is the 360. That is supposed to be out at the end of this year, and there weren't any at E3, all the games were running on Apple G5's. Link : http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35906&subsectionid=1586

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    At the time of launch the Dreamcast was far more powerful than the PS2 could even dream of being and had already been around for a good while. :)

18. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,380
    What's that got to do with the price of fish? It was the power of the brand that won that one, certainly not the software, and the power of the machine wasn't really that much better than the DC. It's a marketing win, not a hardware win.

MS were in exactly the same position at the time of the Xbox release, ie. no machines were present at E3 2001, and they made the November release that time. They have the resources, believe me.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Again lets stick to the facts people. Virtually every man and his dog (Well third party developers anyway) had Xbox 360 hardware running at e3 with their game demos and in many caes playable demos for the public. There were dozens of playable demos pods on display.

OK for the most part they were Xenon Alpha developement boxes but at least these were prototype units they have been developing games on not PC based hardware test beads showing tech demos. :rolleyes:

The DC was a miles better machine than the PS2. There are still many games that look better on the Dreamcast via VGA than the top PS2 titles even today.

And how is the 360 behind schedule ? It was slated for release fall 2005 and its being released then. Hows that behind schedule ? :confused:

They still cant give any firm release date for the PS3. March - July 2006 Japan :confused: So when the hardwares ready and they have rushed some games through developement then.

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    :boring: Do 93% of the posts in the gaming forum have to consist of slagging off the PS2 and saying how great the X-Box is. I'm a big fan of the X-Box (and if I play a console these days then that is what I play) but these tit for tat posts just get really boring. So for once and for all...

The Dreamcast was a great console released about a year before the PS2, yet was capable of similar performance - Great machine, poorly marketed.

The PS2 is OK and has a great games catalogue but it suffers from a lack of power compared to the X-Box and Gamecube.

The X-Box is a great console with some great titles available for it. It has the most power, 5.1 sound and High Def. It can also be modded to do all sorts and is therefore a very flexible machine!

The Gamecube is a cheap powerful games machine with some superb exclusive titles. Has poor 3rd party support and is therefore usually bought as a 2nd console for it's excellent 1st party games.

ALL four consoles are great and are all here for our gaming fun! We all know the pros and cons of each machine so can people just enjoy them all?? The next gen consoles will also all be great and it doesn't really matter when they come out, infact i'd be very happy if one comes out this year, one next year and one the year after as that will give me chance to be able to afford each one.

CONSOLES are great and I hope that the likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo keep producing them for decades to come! If Sega ever want to produce another one as well, then more the merrier! :thumbsup:

21. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You are absolutly right, I think due to bais comments this gaming forum is more like Xbox Forum or Anti PS2 forum.

22. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,380
    To be fair Cas, I don't think anyone's saying the PS2 is a poor machine. I know I got my money's worth out of it. I think the argument here is that it doesn't deserve it's success. The problem is when the 'mass market' start referring to a product by its brand, they then perhaps buy the inferior product due to marketing, and so software loses out as the big companies can continue turning out their derivative :censored: .

I hope this doesn't happen again, but all you have to do is read the press, and the next-gen of consoles might as well be named Playstation. The brand has just stuck. The reason this argument keeps coming around is its still relevant, until we can educate the 'mass market' that there is choice out there. Just my 2ps worth! ;)

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    I know what you're saying Loz. My point is that surely we all get tired of reading how crap the PS2 is and how great the X-Box is, even if it is true. It doesn't make for very interesting forum reading.

EDIT: The Playstation got to where it is on merit and managed to penetrate the mass market. The PS2 had already won IMO by the time the X-box came out and the bargain of snatching the market first worked even though the machine was a year and a half older than the X-Box and technologically inferior. Now they have the market and strong brand loyalty Sony can release the PS3 2nd and also make it the most powerful machine. It will be very interesting to see if people hold off buying the 360 (like they did with the DC) in favour of the PS3 or if MS can capture a good slice of Sony's user base before the PS3 hits the shops.

24. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    agreed even tho its utter BS ! ps2 is a remarkable machine imo and ive probably had more fun on it that any others ive owned. imo its the games that make or break the console not the console spec. id rather play goldeneye on n64 than X FPS on ps3/xb360 if that is no good. so it dont matter to me what machine really has the power as long as the game is fun.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Indeed my point is that even though I only really play on my X-Box at the moment (own all 3) I resist the temptation to ramble on about how much better it is than my PS2. There is a sticky thread somewhere for people to conduct boring ramblings about why they love a certain console, so that other threads can stick to their topic which in this case I believe was .....

"When exactly are the next gen consoles out.."

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    To which, at this point, there is no real definitive answer!

27. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    The pricing's also still a complete mystery. :confused:

Can't see many people paying above £200 these days, even for a newly released console.

RDB :)

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Indeed, we've had all the speculation above so I guess there's nothing more to be said here.