When do you think Sony will release their slimline PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last to Playstations were made in a slim form. I wonder how long it will be till the PS3 goes slim line!

never

No ecomomy drive but even at 45nm there is too much much 'heat' for a slim line in the life cycye of a PS3. Even the new 'cool' PS3 is a heat monster which is why the case has more holes than 'case'.

Didn't the slimline change from a tray to a top loader? Not really an advantage. You have to keep space clear above.

Using the PS2 as a guide.

It was first released in late 2000.

It was changed to slimline model in November 2004.

Therefore the PS3 was released November 2006.

So the slimline PS3 should be released November 2010.

(This almost sounds like I am being sarcastic but the numbers are entirely factual with regards to the PS2).

If you wish to get even more extreme.

The Playstation 1 was released December 1994.

The slimline of this was released Sept 2000. (Thats six years)

However it seems when the next Sony console is scheduled to be released the slimline of the older one is released (remember the PS3 was going to be coming out 2005 but got seriously delayed due to problems with the Blu-Ray drives inside).

It would make more sense to make a PS3 look like a standalone Blu Ray player. With a clock timer etc. That would be a real money maker for Sony.

No ecomomy drive but even at 45nm there is too much much 'heat' for a slim line in the life cycye of a PS3. Even the new 'cool' 45nm PS3 is a heat monster.

How would you know? No 45nm PS3 have been manufactured yet.

The current 40GB models have a 65nm Cell and 90nm RSX, 65nm RSX's should be comming some time this year. By the time they are both on 45nm nodes the power requirements should be much lower so heat shouldn't be a problem. Still not sure how slim it'll be by then though ;)

Would it cost more money to develop? I think Sony might feel they will save that for when they need a major relaunch. Similar thing with the PSP. Until then they will just tinker with it a bit. Slightly bigger hard drive or something.

I spend most of my time working life with engineering departments at universities, designing amongst other things imaging systems. It is called an 'educated' assesment :)

One thing they would probably do is give it an external PSU like they did with the Slim PS2 and to a greater extent, look at the 360's power brick. Imagine how big the 360 would have to be if its PSU was built in!! :eek:

:rotfl:

A picture of a slim and lite appeared in march's T3. Xmas release expected

Attachments

• ps3lite222.jpg
    ps3lite222.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,400
Looks more like a photoshopped Wii and PS3...

Can't see a PSThree being release for a long while yet.

/\ That's exactly what it is. I bought that issue of T3 to read on a recent journey, and that photochoppery put me right off before I even started reading. It's just the top of a PS3 and a Wii stuck together. Even down to the blue lit disc slot :rolleyes: Also, I found it quite amusing that they show it in upright form, despite the fact it's so slim it'd fall over if someone coughed.

"Exclusive" indeed. Just seems like pure guesswork to me.

It would make more sense to make a PS3 look like a standalone Blu Ray player. With a clock timer etc. That would be a real money maker for Sony.

All they would have to do then is get HDMI audio passthrough instead of outputting LPCM.... but that will never happen which is why my PS3 was e'bayed'

It's being launched in September; Sony have just announced it today at GamesCom. This will suit a lot of people as it's roughly 33% slimmer and 33% less power hungry.

I like it.

I will be getting one in time for the arrival of Modern Warfare 2.

Don't really like it's appearance at all. It just looks like a much cheaper version to me.

That said, the smaller size will make it ideal for putting in my bedroom system, so I'll be having one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom