When do you prefer your post to arrive?

Hades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Within the next week or so Royal Mail employees are going to find out what the new agreement is to vote on. One thing we know for certain is that the delivery times are going to change. This will mean most of us won't be getting out of the office till much later, as the mail will not be in the delivery office to sort till between 8am and 10am. At the moment its there between 5am and 6am.

Normally when you get your mail very late its because a postie has been out and done their round, then come back to do half of another. This is normally down to short staff in the office due to sickness etc. But when the new delivery methods come in, hardly anyone will get their post before noon. Those of you at the end of a round could be looking at 4pm as a regular time for getting your mail.

I'm just wondering what you think about getting your post near tea time on a regular basis?

I prefer to get it in the morning before work, especially if i'm waiting for a parcel. But after 5 is ok i guess as i'll be home then anyway.

Unless some people get theirs that early that they have the mail before they go to work, it's going to make little difference whether it arrive at 12pm or 4pm since they'll only see it when they get home from work.

And to be honest I rarely wait impatiently at the door for my gas bill to arrive ;)

At home it doesn't bother me if the mail arrives in the morning or afternoon.

As a rule, I'd like it there by 4-5PM so that when I get home and check the postbox it's there.

At work it's a different story.

The last week or so the mail has been delivered early (say 9 ish).

The past few years the mail has been turning up between 11-3pm. For a business, this is not ideal.

Years ago the mail would be there when the first ones turn up for work around 8am.

I'd like it to be that way again. If home deliveries have to be later (mid afternoon) as a consequence, I can live with that.

So are they going to alter your duty times?
I presume you start now at 5.30 or 6am?
Finish at about 2PM?
You are only contracted to work what? 37 hours per week?
Surely they cannot force you to work until 4PM?

I get mine between 1 and 4, ideally I'd like it in the Morning but beggars can't be choosers.

Lets just hope someone else starts up their own postage company (virgin or sky perhaps) and does a much better job...

These posties have pretty much striked themselves out of their jobs - they shouldnt be striking they should be glad they have a job in the current climate...

The old days of two morning deliveries before people went to work

Post 9am delivery = a two day delivery service + rising prices

I appreciate they cannot post for free but RM seem to argue it both ways and have all the cake. Not treating the British public with contempt would be a start

I wish i would go back to the way the post used to be with two daily deliveries. First delivery between 7am and 8am, and the second delivery before noon.

I wouldn't mind getting my post in the evening to be honest. At least I'll be there to sign for them.

Who really wants to see bills and junk mail first thing in the morning?

Not bothered about at home as I'll get it in the evening when I get back from work. My work post is very important daily though and need it as early as I can get it. To make sure of this, I collect it from the sorting office myself :rolleyes:

In the morning before nine.

My mail comes between 12pm and 2pm so to be honest if it comes at 4pm, 5pm or 6pm it won't make any difference to me since unless I'm not at work I only get to see it when I get home anyway.

I suspect that my round is done as a 'second shift' that the OP mentioned, because it is so late in the day and on the odd occasion my street doesn't get any mail at all. I suspect the latter is when staff are off stick so being 'second shift' we lose out. Also when it was snowy recently, but the streets were still navigable, the general situation was that mail in the town was disrupted for one or two days but our street didn't get any mail for over a week.

And before you start imagining that I live in the middle of nowhere - I live in a town less than 2 miles from the sorting office.

Cheers,

Nigel

If it's not going to be there before 8:10am then the time it comes doesn't matter as that's when i leave for work so won't get it until i get home at 5:20pm regardless.

I personally would be happy if I could receive all my mail at any time of the day !!!

Missing birthday cards, DVD's from lovefilm, even an couple of small items from eBay which would be hand delivered not by the van. To the extent I've reported the postman to the manager at the sorting office as I know I'm not the only person in our street that has issues with the mail arriving. Next up will be the police as someone somewhere in the loop is lining their pockets.

So are they going to alter your duty times?
I presume you start now at 5.30 or 6am?
Finish at about 2PM?
You are only contracted to work what? 37 hours per week?
Surely they cannot force you to work until 4PM?
Full timers start between 4am and 7am on a 40 hour contract. Not all rounds start at the same time. Part timers start normally at 7.30am as they don't have to do manual sorting as full timers do that.

If the mail comes in later as its going to do in the new delivery model, then start times will have to change.

I care very little to be honest, I have much stronger feelings about people who strike over pay then I'll ever have about post arrival time.
I did not strike by the way. And just for the record those who did strike were not striking over pay. Like many other companies our wages have been frozen with no pay rise.

I am glad to have a job, hence why I just nuckle on down and get on with it.

Also when it was snowy recently, but the streets were still navigable, the general situation was that mail in the town was disrupted for one or two days but our street didn't get any mail for over a week.

And before you start imagining that I live in the middle of nowhere - I live in a town less than 2 miles from the sorting office.

Cheers,

Nigel
Unfortunately we are told whether we can deliver or not by management in situations like this. If they tell us to go out and someone has a serious accident, well it hits the fan so to speak. The manager would get it in the neck from his manager etc.

I would just like consistency, we have mail around 11am and sometimes packages will come around 1pm. So I know that if 1pm ticks by, there'll be no post or packages today.

So if times move, as long as they're still consistent a similar train of thought can be applied. However, if they move it to 4pm+, then its not as useful determining you have no post once office hours are over.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom