1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you have your amp switched on?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkB, May 21, 2002.

?
  1. On all the time, even when not watching anything. Everything goes through the amp.

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. On all the time when watching anything. Off otherwise. Everything goes through the amp.

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. On when watching DVDs or special TV programs, otherwise off.

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. On when watching DVDs only.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm just curious to know (nosey in other words) what proportion of the time you actually use your amp when watching TV etc.

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    Mine for dvds and the odd tv program as well as music.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Option 1 for me as I have a mixed setup, i.e. once I come through the door I will grab the remote and switch on the amp + tuner.
    As well use it for watching TV with DPL on all the time ...

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Option 1 for me, otherwise it takes to long to power all the bits up when I want to listen to it, and let them warm up. Remember that scene in Apollo 13 where they are practising to power up the ship, well that's like me switching on the HiFi if I do switch it off.

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Remember that scene in Apollo 13 where they are practising to power up the ship, well that's like me switching on the HiFi if I do switch it off.

:)

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I leave my amp on all the time, regardless of whether I'm actually using it or not.

Just like hifi amps (and virtually any electrically operated machinery) it helps prolong the life of the unit and also means it's constantly warmed up and will therefore sound it's best.

Powering up any piece of kit puts strain on the components... ever noticed how 9 out of 10 light bulbs blow when you switch them on rather than during extended use? That's not simply a coincidence.

I also tend to put my DVD player on repeat play for a couple of hours before I intend to settle down to watch a film for real.

7. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is also my approach but as I computer systems and other equipment my electricity bills are rather high. I also wonder if this is a responsible approach from an environmental point of view.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I also wonder if this is a responsible approach from an environmental point of view."

Not a concern to me, the amount of electricity used is little more than leaving the kit on standby. Also, if it prolongs the life of your kit even by a year, you're actually saving resources in the long run.