When do the new tvs release?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by SilentHill89, Mar 14, 2016.

1. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I read the Panasonic range are due around spring, which includes a 1080p set with 10000 hz motion. There's very little information though regarding this. Sony already has the WD653 on the market which just released today on Amazon. There's also a few new 4K sets listed on John Lewis. Does anyone know when we'll see most of these tv's?. I'm getting really impatient because I've no tv to play on my PS4! :/.

2. vanders

vanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Some of the Panasonics seem to be the first week in April. Looking at the previous years history of the manufacturers, they seem to slowly trickle out between now and May/June. It's so annoying that they don't seem to actually announce release dates like consoles/mobiles do.

3. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    ye & whats more annoying is it takes another few months for reviews to come out, so we're completely oblivious to what we're buying. As a gamer input lag is the 1st thing I need to know yet we only get this information from these reviews. Everything should be specified in the spec list to avoid this confusion. Apparently Sony are releasing their tv's well in advance of the summer to avoid a repeat of last year.

4. vanders

vanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah, I'm looking for a 55" TV for gaming and watching the football, so input lag and refresh rate is extremely important to me. Have you thought about getting a 2015 model? as they will come down ridiculously in the coming months when the new range come out.

5. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've sent 11 back in the last year so I'm gonna just wait now, might give panasonic a try seein as iv not tried them yet. Their top end 1080 set this year is 1000hz which will be great for gaming. I just hope these tvs have low input lag. Sony's lag last year was a disappointment from what we expect from them.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    The 1000hz will be through motion interpolation, it won't be related to the panel hz nor input lag.

Btw it's not all about input lag when it comes to gaming on a TV anyway. See The Best Gaming TVs - Winter 2016: Reviews

You've got response time and motion blur to think about too. You may find a set with low lag but it's pointless if you get image blur or a bad response time.

7. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I thought motion blur & response time were the same thing as motion affects the frames per second. Usually a tv that is specified above 600hz is a 100hz panel.

8. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sony's new WD653 & RD453 are up on John Lewis although they're currently 'out of stock'. Samsung have announced their Full HD offerings which include the K6200 (curved), K5500, K5300 & the K5100, the latter 3 being 50hz.

Interestingly all of Samsings 4k sets have native 100hz refresh rates. I personally don't care for 4k so I just hope that the other brands give their 1080 sets the same high quality treatment.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Response times and motion blur are linked but input lag is completely separate. Often people think they need low input lag for gaming but they don't realise that they could have a set with low input lag but yet high response time and motion blur.

In fact if you look at the rtings table, many better lower lag tvs have bad motion blur and response time.
    hz has nothing to do with input lag at all but it would improve motion blur if fed with 100fps/100hz signal, something that's not possible with consoles or pcs because the TV will be limited to a 60hz input.

In fact theoretically input lag should increase with panels running higher HZ. Just like computer memory has higher latency when running at higher HZ.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. 200p

200p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    According to HDTVtest uk:
    Samsung UE48JU7000 4K TV Review
    The "measured panel refresh rate" for the above TV is "120Hz". You'd think there'd be different refresh rates depending on the the content (eg. 120Hz for 24p/60i/p and 100Hz for 50i/p) but they've just given one measured refresh rate - and if there is only one (120) isn't that going to introduce a bit of judder to 25p, 50i/p content?

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    My guess is it isn't noticeable with 25 or 50 fps content, if anyone was to notice judder it would be Vincent of hdtvtest. He actually mentions best in class upscaling so I doubt if there was judder for that content he wouldn't mention something.

12. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm going insane waiting for these tvs! All I want is a tv with low lag, good motion & a good picture. I'm relying on remote play for my PS4 fix via a sh*tty 12' Alba!. When will the Sony DW75 release? or the Panasonic range? Or reviews for that matter?! :rolleyes:..

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Tell me about it. I hope reviews surface fast too. I'm trying to hold out until summer for potential discounts through the Olympics and European Championship. Hopefully at that stage everything will be released and reviewed. Time goes so slow though.

14. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm seriously considering going in blind & buying a Sony RD453. I can't be without a tv much longer, there's simply too much upcoming content that I can't ignore (Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4 :eek:). The Sony WD653 is only £20 more but I tried the 805 from that range twice & I wasn't impressed.

These are the only new full HD tvs on the market so far. If in a few months time I find out it has sh*t lag then I can always return it within JL's 90 day return policy. Like I said I don't give a fudge about 4k as content isn't available to justify it. I'll keep updating this thread for any developments so stay tuned!

15. Hagga27

Hagga27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m after the Samsung KS7500 49" Curved TV. I think Samsung might be releasing them fairly soon. Hopefully the price won’t be too high.

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Purely with gaming in mind the Samsung JU6400 is a good bet at the moment. Its 4k but it beats 1080p sets for motion blur, response time and input lag.

It's downside is it doesn't play back 24hz film content judder free.

The Best Gaming TVs - Winter 2016: Reviews

17. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Heads up, the Panasonic 49DS500 Full HD tv is up on John lewis for a price of £500. They've also released a few more sizes for the 4k DX600 & a 65DX750. I'm really interested in a Panasonic this time round as their sets are known for having a vibrant picture. If the DS500 matches the quality of last years CS520 but with less lag then I'm sold! :thumbsup:. The thing is we're still waiting on these lazy fudgein reviewers to get their asses in gear!. If they simply listed all the essential specs then this sh*t could be avoided.

I had the UE6400 & 6700 & wasn't blown away. I also had the JU7000 from last year which wasn't bad but not for £1000. Sony's sets haven't exactly blown me away either although they look better than the Samsungs. This could obviously change this year of course. However I don't want to take that risk again so I may opt for a Panasonic, see how I get on. TV's that produce a lush, bright vibrant image look the best to me.

18. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm having a similar conundrum at the moment! Am considering either a Sony 40W705 or Panasonic 40CS520 for general Freeview and gaming. This month the new Panasonic DS500 releases though, so unsure what to do! Like some of the above posters, I'm not bothered about 4K. Anybody got any experience with these sets?

19. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    I'm in the same position but I've resigned myself to accepting it's probably best to just wait until the summer when most of the new sets are released, reviewed and discounts appear with Olympics and football.

20. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The CS520 has around 50ms of lag apparently with a 50hz panel so it's not ideal. As for the Sony, I had the upper 80c from last year (twice!) & it's quite decent. The lag is just under 40ms which is good enough. The motion on the 705 is 50 compared to the 100 on the 805. I returned it for the reason being the screen can't get very bright which affected my enjoyment.

Here's what I'm doing; I'm going to wait a bit longer for the last few releases of the full HD range to trickle out from Sony & Panasonic then I'm going to take a punt. Sony's being the WD75 while Panasonic's highest end Full HD is the DS600.

It shouldn't be too long now for those to follow & they'll boast 100HZ with features like Tri-luminous. My biggest concern is the lag but I ain't waiting months to find that out. Not with Uncharted & Dark Souls on the horizon :cool:.

21. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds good! Though I was told by Panasonic that the DS600 is only being released in Europe, so if you're in the UK the 500 is the 'top end' full HD this year. That's what I'm waiting on reviews on!
    Thanks for your help on the W705 and the CS520. I'm actually the same as you with the brightness thing, and I have no problems with my current 32E5B, which is only a 50 Hz panel, so still unsure what to do! Maybe the new DS500 will be enough of an improvement to stick with Panasonic, just hoping for slightly better input lag.

22. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Really? Well I guess I might try the 500 then. I thought UK was in Europe tbh :blush:. Sony's D75 has better motion so that could also be worth waiting on. The market is geared heavily towards 4k so it'll be a while before we get reviews on the full HD sets. Until 4k becomes a standard then I have no interest in it whatsoever.

I'm not comfortable with upscaling PS4 games either, I feel more settled knowin what I'm playing is on a native display. Right now I'm relying on remote play via the Vita so these reviews better hurry up! :cool:.

23. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Unfortunately so, I was hoping for a DS600 aswell. Here's their response to my tweet about it:

Panasonic Service UK on Twitter

Main Europe seem to get different models each year for some reason.
    The WD75 does look nice, but may be a bit out of my price range at the moment. I think the £350 price range is going to be ideal in my current situation.
    I'm the same with the upscaling, that's why I'm even unsure whether to go for a 50/60 Hz panel just so I know the game image isn't being 'drawn' twice like it apparently does on a 100/120 Hz. What are your views on this?

24. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm not really sure on that term. All I know is that it's dependent on the source material. PS4 games max at 60fps so 50hz is pretty much on point. Motion would be more noticeable on a 30fps game, especially without a clean 1080 resolution.

Back to the tv's, I think I may jump on the DS500 soon purely for the sake of trying a different brand & sharing what it's like. The more users means it'll kickstart an owners thread which are a godsend!. To say I've had a few tv's over the last year is an understatement (13 all returned). Samsungs HD offerings look sh*t this year so I'm grateful for Sony giving us a few. It'd be hard to justify another selection if the WD75 has low lag & tri-luminous on top of its 100hz :cool:.

25. Ruffuz

Ruffuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
  26. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    There's no reason to own a TV with over 60hz panel refresh rate if you can only feed a 60hz signal.

If you get a higher HZ screen then it will be inserting frames to that signal to reach its panel refresh rate. That alone I bet will look worse than just a 60hz set.

As for 4k tvs they really aren't that much more expensive which I guess is why most firms seem to care so little about their 1080p offerings.

With the Panasonic for example there no advance picture processing at all on the ds series.

@SilentHill89 given you're mainly interested in gaming what didn't you like about the Samsung JU6400? on rtings it's by far the best LCD for gaming.

27. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the help again @Dodgexander & @SilentHill89. It sounds like another 50/60 Hz panel would be me just fine as I just play PS4 and Freeview on the TV. Not too bothered about picture/post processing as I hate the soap opera effect. Never missed it on my current set.
    I'd be happy to join an owners thread with you @SilentHill89! I'm fussy, almost OCD level, about TVs (perhaps not as bad as you though!) and honestly I love my Panasonic 32E5B. If it was 40" I wouldn't even be looking right now. Reviews say it's flawed, but it's the best TV I've ever bought (always had a modest budget). Brightness is the best aswell, think you would be happy with the brand.
    So now it's just trying to get confirmation on whether a USB splitter would work to turn the one USB port in to two, and then I may go for a CS520 or DS500 (depending on how much better it is).

28. 200p

200p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Do you mean interpolating frames or just repeating the same one? If frame (motion) interpolation is off why would a TV that was capable of 120 Hz look any worse than one capable of a max of 60 Hz? If it is outputting at 120Hz when displaying 60Hz content, isn't it making the screen refreshes/redraws even less noticable? Isn't it making any possible flicker much less noticeable? Plus for TV/films if you wanted to try the different options that might be available like black frame insertion/judder/blur reduction (motion interpolation) options or LED backlight scanning (I think it's called - to allow blanking of the backlight) or similar, those options are likely to be better on a higher refresh rate TV (and worse/non-existent on a lower refresh rate one).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  29. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    It won't make motion any better. I'm not talking about frame interpolation I'm talking about feeding a higher HZ display with a lower HZ signal.

The only time it will be better is if you fed a higher HZ signal.

Look at The Best Gaming TVs - Winter 2016: Reviews
    The best gaming TV is a 60hz panel.

I'm not saying 120hz+tvs can't be good for gaming but since it will have to copy and introduce it's own frames to reach its native refresh rate then most likely that will increase things like lag and I doubt the picture will look any better.

Is a whole different story with PC monitors since you aren't limited to inputting 60hz due to HDMI.

30. 200p

200p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Isn't the linked page saying "The best High End TV for Gaming is Samsung JU7500" - a 120Hz TV? It says "For great LED picture and snappy performance, gamers should get the JU7500. It’s the best overall gaming TV currently available".

edit: Though their table does give a score of Game score of 9.4 to the Samsung JU6400 (60 Hz) - whereas they give a game score of 9.3 to the Samsung JU7500 (120 Hz), yet the Samsung JU6400 has more of a lag (26.4 ms) than the Samsung JU7500 (21.1 ms). Though the JU6400 does have a slightly faster response time (but it's worse in lag than it gains in response time). It does seem a bit wrong though that their pick of "the best overall TV for gaming" gets a 0.1 less on the game score though. You'd think the table and their best would match - though other aspects like better PQ made them say that Samsung JU7500 is the best overall TV for gaming - ie. they say:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016