when do quality cables come into their own?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdope, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question on when I might need quality cables? Have a dvd/video combi (Panasonic DMR-ES30V), which will be used initially for transferring old vhs tapes to dvd. Assume whatever cable I use is not going to make any difference there. Are the expensive cables (s-video, component) used if I was to add surround sound or use with a plasma tv? I don’t have either btw but if it would make a difference to the quality of the tv recorded to disk then please let me know! Thanks once more for your input/output!

ps. Transferred some stuff onto my first ever dvd today and to my surprise it worked! Would not work in my brother's player at first but once i finalized it, it played ok. Think i will have to reduce the setting though. Had it on the highest quality (hours worth) which for video footage is probably overkill

2. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To answer the question = "when do quality cables come into their own?".... I will say "As soon as you use them"... There is NO substitute for quality cable when it comes to transferring signal from source to destination. If you tend to stick to the cables which come with the unit when you bought it, you definitely lose quality and lots of it too.. So, perhaps the real question should be = "How much quality are you prepared to lose?" Answer = With quality cable, you tend to lose less than with El Cheapo stuff and therefore, you can retain as much of the original signal as possible under the circumstances...

The question should should really ask of yourself is = "Do I really need this 'quality' cable?". Only you can answer that one. You may not really "need" it but you may "want" it for the above reasons... If you can afford it, buy it and you wont regret it, but make sure you get cable which is able to yield good results, as that is the hard part of the exercise...

Transferring from VHS to DVD... Been there, done that and I was mildly surprised at the results.