When do I create Chapters for HDD footage to DVD ?

Merlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am unable to create Chapters on DVD-R having dubbed from HDD to it, but I am able to edit names on the DVD afterwards, not yet finalised of course. Panasonic said dont create chapters on the HDD footage as they do not transfer during the dubbing process. Where in the process do I create chapters then and how ?

I had DVD selected, went edit and the chapter options were not there. neither is partial erase. Obviously one must partial erase footage before HDD to DVD dubbing, but chapters dont transfer so puzzled.

I have a Panasonic EH50.

Merlin

If it is anything like my Toshiba XS34, you need to do all the chapter creation on HDD before you copy it to a DVD.

With the E85, chapters on the HDD are preserved when you high speed dub to DVD-R. I should think this applies to the EH50 too.

N.B. A title can only be high speed dubbed to DVD-R if the 'DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode' setting was On when the original recording was made.

The Tech guy at Panasonic when discussing the EH50 mentioned chapters did not survive the HDD-DVD dubb, whether or not this was a specific comment on the EH50 or on machines up till then I need to check, if it is EH50 then this could get interesting ....like oh cripes ! :(
Merlin

They should survive the dub over from the hard drive as long as you do it in high speed mode as indicated above. I do it all the time on my E85 and the EH50 is a later model so should be the same

Yes the EH50 is the same.

This is covered halfway down page 45 of the UK manual.

Thats interesting,....Panasonic say only possible on DVD-RAM, with other DVD media which are dumber the chapters get made every 5 mins after finalize done and will not survive dubbing,....useless is that. They suggest best make them on a PC. RAM footage to PC, edit and author to DVD-R or +R or RW. More control and typing/graphics etc easier/better.

I shall take a look at p45 !

Merlin

Whoever is saying this at Panasonic has either not understood what you are asking or don't know what they are talking about ! Just make sure you don't re-encode when dubbing onto the DVD-R and that high speed is enabled when you make the original recording to hard disc.

Couple of questions..
Why would you not have high speed dubbing enabled? I saw something that said these recordings would only be 4:3 but then many people said that wasn't true.
Would dubbing be if, for example, you had 2 hours of XP stuff that you wanted to put to 1 DVD? Can it do that by re-encoding? What sort of time does re-encoding take?

sjw said:
Why would you not have high speed dubbing enabled? I saw something that said these recordings would only be 4:3 but then many people said that wasn't true.
As I understand it, if the 'DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode' setting is On, recordings are flagged as 4:3 regardless of whether the source is 4:3 or widescreen. But the recorder records the incoming video signal as is, it doesn't convert a widescreen picture to a 4:3 picture. So a widescreen source is recorded as a 4:3 picture squashed horizontally. To view the recording with the correct aspect ratio you have to manually select a 16:9 display on your TV. If this becomes a nuisance, software is available to set the widescreen flag correctly using a PC.

I should add that I haven't got a widescreen set yet, all my TVs are 4:3, so it's not a problem for me (yet). Perhaps someone with a Panny recorder, a Sky or Freeview box, and a widescreen TV can confirm or correct what I've said.

Would dubbing be if, for example, you had 2 hours of XP stuff that you wanted to put to 1 DVD? Can it do that by re-encoding? What sort of time does re-encoding take?
Yes it can be re-encoded to fit on a single DVD.

There is no re-encoding when you high speed dub. In all other cases dubbing takes place at normal speed, i.e. in real time, and the recording is re-encoded regardless of whether there is any rate conversion or not. So your 2 hour XP recording will take 2 hours to dub to a DVD using any of the other recording modes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom