1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did the Sony STR-VA555ES come out?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by etsoi, Jul 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. etsoi

etsoi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to buy the Sony STR-DA5ES which is the US version of STR-VA555ES. But I read from a forum in US that a newer version is coming out in a few months. IS it true? Any body heard of this? Thank you

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    STR-DA4ES, if it is true, may not be as well specified as the current model, Sony have a habit of making attention grabbing successes, then cutting them down when replacing.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not sure about the US, but the Sony STR-VA333ES is apparently imminent in the UK - apparently a slightly descaled version of the 555. What exactly the descaling involves I don't know, but I'd expect perhaps a few less inputs, maybe a bit less power and a cheaper remote - nothing too drastic I expect. MSRP is supposed to be around £800, so £200 less than the 555 - and judging by that model, that means a street price somewhere in the region of about £600 or so I guess.

If the DA5 is indeed the US name for the 555, then the new model, DA4?, may well be the US name for the 333.
    Not sure though, so I guess you'd better check if you are worried.
    No idea if there is a 444 model planned in the UK, which the DA4 is the US version of, with a DA3 in the US being the equivalent of our 333.