When can you cancel your sky ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DUVET, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wanting to cancel my sky as i'm moving into a new house, do i have to give so many months notice etc or can i cancel it now.

I've had sky for close to 3 years now, it shouldn't be a problem, should it ?

is there any uses for the old sky box and mini dish ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    One months notice.
    They'll try to talk you into staying and probably offer some incentive for installing a new system in your new home so if you have more pressing demands on your money (new home for example) be resolute and don't let yourself be drawn back in by 50% for X months:)

There is still a market for used digiboxes although the system you have now will once the subscription channels are gone will still pick up all the FTA channels and FTV channels.

3. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i know what your saying, thanks.

I'll just cancel and save the money for the new place.

is it worth while bringing the box with me, can i use it in another room etc ? or should i leave it for the people moving into my old place ?

cheers
    duvet

4. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No keep your skybox and just cancel your subs, you can use the box to get freesat, if there is no dish get someone to fit a new one independently or collar a sky fitter and bung him 30quid or so to do it.
    Cheers, Franc

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Make sure you get everthing in writing that its all canceled and all money you owe them is paid up,someone at work moved house last year canceled is sky and eight months later a debt collector demaned money from him for unpaid bills to sky.He had infact paid up in full and demanded they turned him off straight away and not in 30days which they did.
    I have just canceled myself and they didn't make much of an effort to keep me like most people say.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Retention offers aren't automatic. There have been some pretty good posts here by (ex?) Sky personnel explaining how they work. Basically x amount of offers are allocated every month to the customer service agents and they are allowed to use their discretion as to how they are given out. Thus if you call and the agent has given out a lot of offers already they may not give you one as they want to hold some for later in the month. Also there are different packages of offers too, so you might get offered something different to a friend who cancelled the same day.

If they just automatically offered every cancelling subscriber the best offer, the public would quickly catch on to cancellation as a way of reducing subs. As it stands, you can expect some sort of offer if you cancel but the exact nature is always changing and you might not get one at all. Not really a practical solution for people looking to save money on the sub.

Don't worry - you'll get lots of 'return to Sky' offers through the mail in the coming months .....

Gav

7. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Had HD installed last week so I rung Sky to increase my subscription to the full package.Got a letter this morning saying "We're disappointed you have decided to cancel your subscription blah blah blah and we'll switch you off in 3 days"
    What is it with this company?:suicide:

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    :rotfl:

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Maybe they'll offer you a discout deal on the basic subscription shortly, to 'retain' you - if so phone up and demand it be applied to your active subscription.

Gav

10. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Right now I'd like "cancel my sky". It's looking very grey and wet out there! :mad:
    What happened to summer?