1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when can i get a active subwoofer Amplifier from

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by netgear, Aug 2, 2003.

1. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am thinking of buliding a active subwoofer but where can i get the Amplifier from in the u.k

also at the same time i want to by a av receiver my eye is set on the sony strde 485 but i spoke to somebody and they say to go with
    Eltax AVR200 or the 250 but i check out another model the Marantz SR4200 this receiver is push my budget a bit but i can handle it. out of all receivers which one is better

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Amplifiers for building your own subwoofer are available from BK Electronics here

In my opinion the Marantz SR4200 is the best amp of the three that you mentioned.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Amplifiers for building your own subwoofer are available from BK Electronics here

In my opinion the Marantz SR4200 is the best amp of the three that you mentioned.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having problems with posting there Ian! Impossibly slow isnt it! :(

I would likewise prefer the marantz.

Ad

5. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ian for the link at last i found them. i think you and buns have made up my mind about the Marantz SR4200 it maybe my choice in the morning but what about that sony is it any good. i spoke to some other members of this fourm and they have given me more ideas on what to buy

i have also been looking around my self. what about this one

Sherwood RD6106R
    Sherwood RD7103

thanks again ian j for the link

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oh be careful of sherwood...... its an awful generalisation to make but although their specs will look good, the actual sound isnt up to what the bigger name competitors achieve.

Ad

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't :D

Any salesman who suggests that any Sherwood amp is better than the Marantz is more interested in his commission than an honest assessment.

The bells and whilstles on an amp are nowhere near as important as the sound it makes and the Sherwood can't compete in this area.

8. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sherwood amps aren't actually all that bad. Especially for their price. I have the 6118R and am more than satisfied with the quality of everything, from DTS to ProLogic II.

Quick edit:

I'm not finding the forums slow at all... If anything they're a lot faster! It's almost instant :D

9. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    If you can get a Marantz 4200, go for it. I have recently replaced my Pioneer Vsx-d710 with a Marantz SR-4200. The Marantz has less adjustments but more than makes up for it in sound quality. The Pioneer was good, the Marantz is excellent.

10. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I picked up the 4200 from Richer Sounds at the weekend for £130 and am just waiting for the rest of my speakers so I can rig it up and play. Beware however the £130 ones that Richer have are ex-demo or returns and don't have oiginal boxes etc.

If you are willing to compromise however it is a good deal on an amp that comes recommended on the forum

Matt

11. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys for the reviews i'm going to the shop today and may come home with one so if i do you'll hear about and at the moment the Marantz 4200 is looking good but i still look around but am hoping to come back home with one today

12. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've come back empty handed! no Marantz 4200 instock check diiferent shop but nothing i'm back to where i started the sony strde 485 what the difference between both receivers is it just pro logic 2 or more then just that

here's what i had a look at today

Yamaha DSPAX620
    Denon AVR1602
    Panasonic SAHE70 is this receiver any good
    JVC RX7010

13. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rate the 620 and 1602 above the other amps.
    Why not test them with your speakers and see which is a better fit.
    I don't have any experience with the Denon brand myself, but I know that they are just as highly rated as yamaha in the HT

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Netgear, give RS Guildford a call 01483 449222 open till 19.00hrs tonight. They may have one in stock (sr 4200).

15. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I bought the 4200 this saturday and its excelent !! :clap: !! I already have pleanty of things hooked up to it and with my Celestion Dittons it sounds brilliant. The only comment I can put in is that it gets VERY hot so try and put it in a cooled area.

16. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mylo i give them a ring and the rest of the guys thanks for the rating but i am a bit puzzled what the diffence between a av receiver and a surround amplifier at the moment i am still look for a receiver but the cash is just sitting there what i want to do is build a subwoofer then save abit more and buy a amp but i may have to wait for a little while and the sub just going to be sitting there looking at me i went to richer sounds and from the sr4200 the next best thing to this amp was £300 which was way over my head

17. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just brought one, Yamaha RXV430RDS nope wrong one the

YAMAHA HTR5540RDS £150 it looks pretty good but for some reason can't get sub going it goes in to it's auto power off then when i turn the volume to the top it switchs back on. but nothing happens and i have no other speakers so i'll just have to wait until i get some well i did test it with one hifi speaker and it play fine with the radio and the dvd but not the sub