When buying a used car becomes lottery

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by la gran siete, Mar 23, 2006.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Finally I decided with much regret that my trusted Corolla has to go and meet its doom at the breakers yard.A faulty carb ,which means a nasty smell of petrol fumes when I start the engine first thing in the morn, set alarm bells ringing and I had visions of being incinerated. So I took the somewhat regrettable decission that she had to go( bit like putting an old dog down).
    Anyway after deciding on a budget I perused the Fridayad last night for a suitable replacement. Being the tight git that I am on such matters my upper limit was set at £1000. Two car adds leapt up at me : one a Honda Concerto K reg with a price tag of £750 and W reg Suzuki Swift at £990.The reviews for the latter didnt fill me with much confidence:" too many rattles , uncomfortable drive must be kept scrupulously serviced, few safety features etc etc " Nevertheless the "cheap to run,cheap to insure, easy to work on and sound engine" claims raised my hopes. The Honda was very well reviewed but its age / price raised some concerns for me.
    Next day I took the Honda for a drive to my trusted neighbour who happpens to be a mechanic( good sound bloke too:thumbsup: )he looked over it carefully, took it for a drive, all seemed fine and I was getting excited. It also had a good service history! Sadly upon taking a look underneath he noticed a small oil leak:eek: :eek: My heart sank because as he explained although it could be something relatively easy to replace like the gasket at the rocker end of the engine( forget what its called) near where the cam belt recides, it could also be the head gasket which in this car would cost about £400 to replace. H e then went on to say that could get even worse. The main problem being that its very difficult to give a prognosis on if for no other reason that there is very little room to work in them.:(
    Now to the Suzuki. Horrible car to drive.Ugh! But I could live with that.Main problem for me - no service history at least not since 2001 and the bloke had bought it to do up and then sell on so I had no idea what he had done.Claimed a new MOT but my mechanic spotted two things that would normally fail an Mot.Maybe I was bit too suspicious but the vendor did seem a bit of an Arthur Daily. Made me laugh when his missus said "Lovely motor, beautiful drive" yes! :rolleyes:
    Anyway to cut a rather long story short my mechanic pipes in with a "I know someone who is selling Citroen Saxo for £2000 -Y reg. Good car and its has been regularly serviced by me" I feel my teeth gritting because that sort of money takes it dangerously close to poncy level. Fortunately my wifes paying for it so I can shut up. Apparently its well reviewed.

She has warned me that on no account am I to put any garden rubbish into it.:(

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Citroen Saxo's may be called many things but I doubt whether "poncey" is one of them

I have also been out car hunting and bought a disgusting poncey car this morning but I was also put off two places that I went to as I didn't like the look of the blokes there.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Maybe not you Ian but it is to me. I shall be fretting about some Herbert running his sharpe knife along the door or someone else crunching a lamp and driving off:(

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    The Saxo is mine:) or at least it will be next week. Nice little car with plenty of leg room. No unecessaries like central locking or those annoying things that go "bleep"and cost about £90 to replace. Good overall condition. Only black mark - teenagers like them:eek: :eek: :eek: .

5. cwilso

cwilso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hope your happy with it, saxos are good for senconds as same chasis and concequently parts as pugs so you will be alright there, shame you had to go over your budget I actually think they hold up pretty well to alot of things even thought they are described as having a safety record that is as good as a carrier bag. on the oil leak front yeh rocker cover would have been easy but head gasket could have been costsly, also dont always be put off by lack of stamped sevice history but deeefinatly by a man with a cigar and fur coat lol:D

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I was well set on the Honda particularly as there was a very good service record. i just cant but feel my mechanic didnt fancy working on it so scrupuosly went looking for faults. I couldnt blame him mind as it would've cost me a lot more to service and repair anyway. Shame because it was lovely to drive. Still the Saxo is too:smashin:

7. cwilso

cwilso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yeh, also saxos over the past year have really come down in price especiallial with them being phased out my citreon for i think the C3, but because of that you will have got a good newer motor and spares and parts are now more redily available as aposed to before waiting a months to get a part from france!!. I found them to take alot of stick had a few friends who have had them and had no problems but one day his "colin mcrae driving style" let him down lol