1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are we likely to see dd5.1/dts on DVD recorders?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelm, Feb 12, 2003.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to HCC in a review of the Philips 980 last year, their next generation machines would have dd5.1 audio recording option implemented. Well, the 880 and 890 have been out for a few months now and guess what - no dd5.1!

Looking at the new recorders due to hit the European market, there are none whatsoever that implement this feature. So what is going on?

Sky have already introduced a (limited) dd5.1 service and dts broadcasting looks to be possible as well.

But what real use is this without a means of recording it?

Sure, I could use my pc with tv input (sadly no RGB input and as Sky doesn't support SVideo, composite is my only video option) with an SPDIF audio connection to record the 5.1 data stream and author it back to my Pioneer A04. But this really defeats the purpose somewhat.

I for one would not even consider buying a standalone recorder until at least dd5.1, and preferably dts, was included. Sooner or later it will be and I know I could not justify the cost of replacing one if I did.

Maybe if more people did the same the manufacturers would get the message.

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone record to keep any more though? I only record stuff I would otherwise miss (which is why I still have a VCR).
    And so far the only dd5.1 TV source is Sky+, surely manufacturers aren't going to cater for a tiny number of people who want to record stuff off sky+ in dd5.1 to keep.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well before I got my dvd recorder-No I didn't record to keep anymore because the quality was poor compared to dvd.

But since buying a dvd recorder I do indeed record to keep. More than ever. Why spend £70 on a tv series when you can record it in about the same quality. And if you had 5.1 the difference would be even less.

So yes I think being able to record in 5.1 would be good and that there is a market for it.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but when will 5.1 broadcasts become the norm? answer that and you'll have answer to when dvd recorders will use 5.1 recording. my guess a very long time.

5. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    So in that case the answer has to be to get a recorder now. Why do yourself out of the luxury of a recorder (I think it's the best item I've bought for years) just because it hasn't got the perfect sound format.

If you have an amp with DPLII then surely this will suffice as the next best thing?

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree, but if more people bought dvd recorders and it became more of an issue then it would happen quicker.

Again I agree, for me the sound issue is deff not enough to have put me off. And the more people buy a technology the more it improves.

7. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly record to keep – having used DVHS for three years now. The very high bit rate 14.7mbps used in conjuction with an RGB to SVHS convertor gives terrific results. That said I have now bought an HS2 for shorter series runs and films.

As for broadcasting in DD or DTS – well it would be nice but it’s a chicken and egg situation. With nothing other than a few films being broadcast in 5.1 and very few receiving systems having the capability to send the digital out to an AV amp, I cant see a real incentive for the broadcasters to offer it.

Furthermore any recorders offering av “digital in” (other than a DV input) would raise the spectre of piracy and I cant see any of the mainstream manufacturers wanting to be the first to “go for it” . Even if it was there, presumably the broadcasters could put a flag in the bitstream to disable recording, or to degrade it to DD2.0.

With regard to making a set of recordings yourself as opposed to buying original DVDs, whilst its nice to have a DVD set of the Life Of Mammals for example (something which in all honesty I wouldn’t buy) its not good enough when compared to something that I really want – eg Star Trek Next Gen. Digital TV transmissions are still at too low a bit rate to compare to commercial DVDs and rarely look as good. Also if you have material longer than 100 minutes recordable DVD starts to show its limitations as it comes up against the dreaded 4.7gb barrier.

The hard disc on the HS2 does solve this to some degree by allowing XP recording which can then be split onto a number of discs, but this is a less than perfect solution – hence the trusty DVHS route.

Fundamentally until higher capacity recording technology becomes available, DVD home recording is inherently limited if you want to archive material at the best quality available to you. The best compromise so far is a recorder with a decent sized Hard Disc – 40gb on the HS2 is just about usable, 120gb or more would be better!

I certainly would never have purchased a DVD recorder without an on board HDD

8. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listening to it in the first place?

Sky only do DD for Sky+ which does support svideo.

9. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Duncan,

Don't know if you remember our DVHS discussions on another forum (Digital Spy). I bought one of these beauties before they were didcontinued (JVC model) and have to say how superb it is. Shame they never caught on. 21 hours on a tape is nice :)

Quick question, how does the HDD copy of a program in XP mode compare to the original broadcast? I have a TIVO and am not at all happy with the recorded quality. Poor colours with bleed and solarisation are my main gripes. (I still love TIVO for casual recording I have to add).

Cheers

Deks

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    presuming it is the same as the XP for -RAM then it is near broadcast quality.

I have sky+ so I did not need the HD, would have been nice mind you

the E30 suits my needs perfectly for archiving TV series and the odd film I am not to bothered about, eg Shrek for the Mrs.

My E30 cost me 400 I will get that back very quickly on TV series DVDs i would have otherwise bought

You can also get a DVD copy at the time of broadcast and not wait months/years

The extras on most (especially US TV series) are a complete joke, the extras on 24 were pathetic.

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another DVHS groupie! I actually have four of these machines now!

In terms of recording in XP mode - I'd have to say that it is significantly better than the TIVO. I have always used my TIVO for casual recording because although it has the benefit of RGB input, I dont think its MPEG encoding is that spectacular, and I suspect that at best its only giving about 5 mbps to the recording.

To my eyes - -viewing on a 56 inch RPTV, there is no difference at all between off air and XP recordings, and although theoretically the DVHS can outgun it in terms of bit rate using the SP mode, the fact that the JVC doesnt have RGB input means that the XP wins.

I'd also say that the SP two hour mode is equivalent to the LS3 mode we know and love from DVHS.

What I generally do is record something off air onto the hard drive and then create a playlist to erase the adverts. Then I burn this using the flexible recording mode onto a DVD-R. I only use RAM discs when I want to re-author on the PC or as temporary storage if the hard disc is getting full. Transferring between the hard disc and RAM discs is done as a data transfer without MPEG re-encoding so long as you transfer XP to XP and SP to SP.

Havent really used the DVHS decks much since I bought the HS2 but they are still useful as playback machines (my whole VHS archive has been transferred to DVHS) and for recording longer pieces.