When are we going to see sports highlights in HD?

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When are we going to see anything besides live sports events in HD?

When are the various hightlight programmes and repeats going to be in HD? What is holding it back? :confused:

danvitale said:
Because most of the cameras in the UK ARNT HD?

Think about it...

Why weren't the highlights of Sheffield Utd v Liverpool in HD on Football First?

Think about it...

danvitale said:
Thats because it was filmed by Sky, who have HD cameras...

Who broadcast Football first:confused:

Why don't you all think about it?

Do you think Sky BBC and other companys all have there own camera at games?

Exactly. The only games broadcasted in HD are those using Sky's outside broadcast unit. Premiership games on Sky Sports HD1/2. Premiership Plus HD games. Rugby games, Championship games. The cricket.

The only live sports that we have seen in HD on SkyHD was those at the World Cup via a supplied HD feed from the games itself and a few rented HD cameras used by the BBC for the studio and various onsite features.

Blimey. Is it THAT difficult?

danvitale said:
Exactly. The only games broadcasted in HD are those using Sky's outside broadcast unit. Premiership games on Sky Sports HD1/2. Premiership Plus HD games. Rugby games, Championship games. The cricket.

The only live sports that we have seen in HD on SkyHD was those at the World Cup via a supplied HD feed from the games itself and a few rented HD cameras used by the BBC for the studio and various onsite features.

Blimey. Is it THAT difficult?

What has this got to do with having highlights of these programmes also being shown in HD? :confused:

Perhaps you are not understanding my question, or I am not being clear enough.

I am not asking who's camera's they are, or who is broadcasting what, or even for more events to be covered in HD.

But, if an event is broadcast in HD, when are we likely to see the highlights of that event also broadcast in HD?
e.g. as I said earlier. If Sheffield Utd vs Liverpool is broadcast live in HD, when are we likely to see the highlights of that same match also in HD - as in Football First later the same day.

Blimey. Is THAT difficult? :)

danvitale said:

As the poster was trying to imply, Sky don't have any HD outside broadcast units. They hire them from 3rd parties

danvitale said:

You didn't see Wimbledon on BBC HD then?

as far as im aware no higlights will be in HD until Oct/Nov at earliest due to problems at sky's end storing the data in HD with a lack of storage available.
But i would expect some new deals to be done at next months IBC conference with some new 350 Terrabyte hd servers just becoming available.
All live uk sport shown in HD is sent back to Sky HQ in HD in whats called the edit cutr at the the end of the live broadcast but then down converted to SD to be stored and played out but upon watching the highlights last evening you can tell was orginated in HD.

uno said:
as far as im aware no higlights will be in HD until Oct/Nov at earliest due to problems at sky's end storing the data in HD with a lack of storage available.
But i would expect some new deals to be done at next months IBC conference with some new 350 Terrabyte hd servers just becoming available.

Thanks uno

350 Terrabytes just for one football match ?
Just how much space do they need to record HD? :)

And to think, they expect us to get by with 160gb...

No not 350 Terrabytes just for the one match but that would have things playing out on Sky sports plus possibly other things at any given time.
But the IBC conference will be interesting week or so with I expect most uk tv companies and OB providers looking at new equipment and doing deals.
If i was Sky i would have some serious talks with trans atlantic fibre owners to try and thrash out a deal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom